Brian Burke

3.4262187088414 (1518)
Posted by motoman 03/22/2009 @ 09:10

Tags : brian burke, hockey players, hockey, sports

News headlines
Double Dose Of Schenn a Possibility For The Leafs - Bleacher Report
by Dustin Pollack (Contributor) As the Stanley Cup finals come to a close and draft day edges closer and closer Toronto Maple Leafs fans lick their lips at the slim chance that General Manager Brian Burke will trade all the way up to No.1 and steal...
Swedish goalie talks on hold - London Free Press
According to general manager Brian Burke, Gustavsson's mother died on the weekend. "All his plans are on hold right now (and) we've told his agent (Par Larsson) that he obviously has bigger things to worry about. So when he's ready to talk,...
Departing Shelley Archer pays homage to Brian Burke -
SHELLEY Archer has used her last moments as a politician to by homage to Brian Burke, saying she did not regret her friendship with the controversial former premier. A defiant Ms Archer told the Legislative Council today that friendship and loyalty had...
Fletcher realizes dream as new Wild GM -
So did Boston's Peter Chiarelli and two former NHL players, Vancouver's Mike Gillis and Tampa Bay's Brian Lawton. They all followed Toronto's Brian Burke and Los Angeles' Dean Lombardi, who were the first two former player agents turned GMs....
The Blackhawks are talking tough after the Game 3 hit on Martin Havlat -
Since we're talking Poile and Shero, they are set to meet during the Stanley Cup Final along with USA Hockey selection committee brethren Brian Burke, Paul Holmgren, Dean Lombardi and Don Waddell. The topic will be the 2010 Team USA camp invitees,...
Brian Burke really, really wants John Tavares on the Leafs - Yahoo! Sports
Besides the playoffs and the Jim Balsillie-Phoenix saga, one story of interest around the National Hockey League has been Brian Burke and the Toronto Maple Leafs' never-ending quest to draft John Tavares, even though the Buds aren't slated to make a...
NHL general managers preparing for decrease in salary cap as free ... - The Star-Ledger -
"The problem with the salary cap is it backdates reality by as much as 12 months," Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke explained. "It doesn't reflect current economic conditions. So, given that our selling season concludes by about Labor Day,...
Where will free-agent goalie Jonas Gustavsson end up? - ESPN
Toronto GM Brian Burke covets the man some think could be the next Henrik Lundqvist. San Jose is also in the mix. Gustavsson had hoped to complete this process by the end of May, but his mother was gravely ill and died a few days ago from cancer,...
MP's pre-retirement junket to see Castro leaves Barnett red-faced - The Australian
Last December, Ms Archer became the first sitting MP to be charged with corruption in relation to the Corruption and Crime Commission's investigations into the lobbying activities of lobbyists Brian Burke and Julian Grill. Mr Burke, a longtime friend...
Burke, Wilson have golden dreams - New England Hockey Journal
Brian Burke (Providence, RI) is the general manager of the 2010 US team that will compete in the Vancouver Games, and named his Toronto head coach, Ron Wilson (Riverside, RI), to the head coaching post on April 5. The Americans captured the silver...

Brian Burke

Brian Thomas Burke (born in Perth, 25 February 1947) was Labor premier of Western Australia from 25 February 1983 until his resignation on 25 February 1988. Burke was imprisoned for seven months in 1994, after being convicted of rorting travel expenses.

In following decades, Burke continued to maintain his Labor party contacts and parliamentary influence, using them to further his career as a pro-business lobbyist. Burke worked both sides of politics in partnership with disgraced former ministerial colleague Julian Grill and assisted by former senator, Noel Crichton-Browne, to influence Liberal parliamentarians.

The son of federal Labor parliamentarian Tom Burke, Brian Burke started his career as a journalist, initially at the West Australian newspaper and later in radio and television. He entered politics in 1973, winning the Legislative Assembly seat of Balcatta at a by-election. His elder brother Terry held the seat of Perth from 1968-1987. In 1981, Brian Burke defeated Ron Davies to become opposition leader. At the February 1983 state election, at just 36 years of age, he became the state's 23rd premier (and its third youngest after John Scaddan and Newton Moore), ending almost nine years of conservative coalition government which had commenced under Sir Charles Court, and was completed by Ray O'Connor (1982-1983). On 25 February 1983 the Governor commissioned the Burke Ministry.

The Burke Government abolished capital punishment in Western Australia in 1984.

His premiership was characterised by very close associations with businessmen such as Laurie Connell and Alan Bond and arranging joint government and business deals. As a result of the 1987 stock market crash, major corporate collapses including that of Connell's merchant bank Rothwells unwound some of those deals which, in turn, caused major losses to the state. The corporate deals and the attempted government-sponsored rescue of Rothwells under subsequent premier Peter Dowding were widely styled in media and civil society as "WA Inc".

Burke resigned as Premier and as Member for Balga on 25 February 1988, on the fifth anniversary of his becoming Premier and his own 41st birthday. A packed public gallery attended his resignation speech and both he and his deputy Mal Bryce, who resigned on the same day, were given a rare standing ovation in the House. Burke was able to play the part of kingmaker, convincing party colleagues to support the Dowding-Parker ticket for the leadership. Burke then accepted an appointment as Australia's ambassador to Ireland and the Holy See.

As a result of the allegations, the WA Inc royal commission was established in 1991, and led to Burke being charged with various offences for which he was sentenced to two years' imprisonment. He served seven months in jail in 1994 for travel expense rorts before being released on parole. In March 1997 he was sentenced to three years' jail for stealing $122,585 in campaign donations. He served six months before the convictions were quashed on appeal. He was stripped of his honour as a Companion of the Order of Australia.

Burke has since been active as a consultant and lobbyist for Western Australian business interests. His continued involvement in state Labor branch politics has been a subject of controversy since before Labor returned to power in 2001. Former Premier Geoff Gallop banned cabinet ministers from contact with Burke, but this was lifted by his successor Alan Carpenter when he took office in February 2006.

On 9 November 2006, Burke resigned the Labor party after public criticism from Labor premier Alan Carpenter, in part due to evidence provided to the Corruption and Crime Commission. Norm Marlborough MLA, the Minister for Small Business and the South-West in the Carpenter Ministry, was forced to resign from the Ministry and from Parliament on 10 November 2006 after the Corruption and Crime Commission revealed he had kept a "secret mobile phone" to stay in touch with Mr Burke. This triggered a by-election for Marlborough's seat of Peel, although Labor retained the seat.

To the top

Brian Burke (ice hockey)

Brian P. Burke (born June 30, 1955 in Providence, Rhode Island) is the President and General Manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs and the General Manager for the United States national men's ice hockey team for the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

Born in Providence, Rhode Island and raised in Medina, Minnesota , Burke graduated from Providence College in 1977 with a BA in History. While attending Providence, he played for the Friars Division-I ice hockey team, where, during his senior year, he served as captain. The team was coached by Lou Lamoriello. In 1977 Burke played seven games with the Springfield Indians of the American Hockey League. Burke then proceeded to play one full year in the AHL with the Maine Mariners, who won the AHL Calder Cup Championship that year. After one year in the AHL, Burke attended Harvard, where he graduated with a J.D in 1981.

After graduating, Burke became an NHL player agent. In 1987, he was hired by Pat Quinn, his coach from Maine, to be the Director of Hockey Operations for the Vancouver Canucks. In 1992, he left that job to become general manager of the Hartford Whalers. He was fired after one year in Hartford, after which he was hired by the NHL to be Vice-President in charge of discipline, under commissioner Gary Bettman.

In 1998, he became General Manager of the Vancouver Canucks. With the Canucks, he was credited with reviving the ailing franchise and increasing attendance, with the signing of several key players such as the Sedin twins, as the team won a playoff series and captured a division title. As Canucks GM, Burke played a key role in the end of Peter Zezel's career. The controversy began at the trade deadline late in the 1998–99 season. Zezel's niece Jilliann was terminally ill with cancer in Toronto, and Zezel requested a trade from the Canucks (who were far out of the playoff race) to an Eastern Conference team so he could be closer to his family. Instead, Burke dealt him to the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, the furthest stop from Toronto in the league. Zezel promptly retired and returned home, and Canuck management were heavily criticized by a sympathetic media and public for the callous way he was treated. Following the 2003-04 NHL season, Canucks ownership chose not to renew Burke's contract for the general manager position. Burke then briefly worked as an analyst for NHL games on both the CBC and TSN. During the 2004–05 NHL lockout, he proposed a 15-point plan derived from his experience as an agent and general manager.

Burke won the Stanley Cup with the Anaheim Ducks as the GM in the 2006-2007 season. It was his second year as an executive with the club.

Burke stepped down as GM of the Anaheim Ducks on November 12th, 2008. The Ducks management submitted papers to the NHL, releasing him from contractual commitment.

On November 29, 2008, Burke was introduced as the President and General Manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs, replacing interim General Manager, Cliff Fletcher. He is the 13th non-interim General Manager of the club and the first to be American-born. He reportedly agreed to a six year deal worth $3 million a year.

On December 4, 2008, Burke offered Dave Nonis the position of Senior Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations for the Maple Leafs, Nonis accepted, and it marked the third time he has held this post under Brian Burke; Vancouver, Anaheim and now, Toronto.

A dual citizen of the United States and Canada, Burke is married to Jennifer Mather. They have two daughters together. Burke also has four children from a previous marriage, including Patrick, a scout for the Philadelphia Flyers.

To the top

Vancouver Canucks

Vancouver Canucks

The Vancouver Canucks are a professional ice hockey team based in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. They are members of the Northwest Division of the Western Conference, of the National Hockey League (NHL). They play their home games at the 18,630 capacity General Motors Place.

The Canucks joined the league in 1970 as an expansion team along with the Buffalo Sabres. In its NHL history, the team has advanced twice to the Stanley Cup Finals, but was defeated both times by both New York teams after staging Cinderella runs: the Islanders in 1982, and the Rangers in 1994.

Professional hockey has been played in the city almost continuously since 1911. The city's first professional team, the Vancouver Millionaires, played for the Stanley Cup five times, winning the trophy in 1915. It was also home to Denman Arena, the first artificial ice arenas in Canada and, at the time, the largest in the world. After the Millionaires disbanded in 1926, Vancouver was home to only minor league teams for many years, most notably the Vancouver Canucks, who played from 1945 to 1970 in the Pacific Coast Hockey League and minor professional Western Hockey League. In 2000, the Vancouver Giants joined the major junior Western Hockey League.

With the NHL's westward expansion, it was a foregone conclusion that big-league hockey would return to Vancouver. In fact, the city was so certain of success that it broke ground for a modern arena, the Pacific Coliseum, in 1967. However, when a Vancouver group led by WHL Canucks owner and former Vancouver mayor Fred Hume made a bid for one of the six teams due to join the league in 1967, the NHL claimed it was sloppily prepared and turned their application down. Speculation has long abounded that the bid was torpedoed by Toronto Maple Leafs owner Stafford Smythe, who after a failed Vancouver-based business deal was quoted as saying that the city would not get a NHL franchise in his lifetime, and with the Montreal Canadiens purportedly did not wish to split CBC hockey income three ways rather than two.

Three years later, another Vancouver group made a new presentation, and was awarded an expansion franchise for the price of six million dollars (four million dollars more than it would have cost in 1967). The new ownership group purchased the WHL Canucks, and joined the league along with the Buffalo Sabres for the 1970–71 season. Ex-Ranger centre Orland Kurtenbach was named the Canucks' first-ever captain, and the team played its inaugural game against the Los Angeles Kings on October 9, 1970, in which Barry Wilkins scored the first goal in franchise history. Two days later, the squad netted its first franchise win, with a score of 5–3 over the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Despite its location on the west coast, Vancouver was placed in the powerful East Division for its first four seasons. Although the team had a few capable players such as Kurtenbach, defencemen Dale Tallon and Jocelyn Guevremont, and winger Dennis Ververgaert, it failed to make the playoffs during these early years. Realignment for the 1974–75 season placed the Canucks in the new Smythe Division, and they responded with their first winning record, finishing first in the division. However, their first playoff series had them squaring off with the Montreal Canadiens, who quickly dispatched them in five games. The Canucks again posted a winning record and made the playoffs the next year, but went down to the New York Islanders in a two-game preliminary series.

The Canucks missed the playoffs the two seasons thereafter. These were not without their highlights, however. During these years, star players included Andre Boudrias, who finished first in team scoring four out of the franchise's first five seasons (and finished second by a single point in the other), forward Don Lever, and Dennis Kearns, who is to this day tied with Jyrki Lumme as the top-scoring defenceman in franchise history.

As it turned out, Vancouver would not have another winning team for sixteen seasons. For most of that time, however, they were much more competitive than their record indicated; they only missed the playoffs six times.

After a dozen years of unremarkable play, the Canucks finally made an impact in the post-season of 1982. After finishing three games under a .500 wins percentage over the course of the regular season, the Canucks would embark on an unexpected run to the Stanley Cup Finals, going 11–2 in series against the Calgary Flames, Los Angeles Kings, and Chicago Blackhawks. It should be noted that despite having a losing record, Vancouver had home ice advantage in the first series, having finished second in the Smythe Division that season behind only the Wayne Gretzky-led Edmonton Oilers. The Canucks also had home ice advantage during the second round series against the Kings, after the latter's upset of those same Oilers during the first round.

During the conference finals against the Chicago Blackhawks, Vancouver coach Roger Neilson, fed up with what he felt was the lousy performance of the officials in the game, placed a white towel on the end of a hockey stick and held it up in a gesture mocking surrender (waving the white flag). The players on the Canucks' bench followed suit, and although Vancouver lost the game, the team's fans appeared at the arena for the next game cheering their team on by waving white towels above their heads. The habit stuck, becoming an original Canuck fan tradition now seen across the league and in other sports, known as Towel Power. The Canucks proceeded to win that series, making it to the Stanley Cup finals for the first time in their history.

Entering the finals, the Canucks were the first team from Western Canada to play for the Stanley Cup in 56 years, since the Victoria Cougars reached the 1926 Stanley Cup Finals. However, they were unable to continue their Cinderella run as they were promptly swept in four games by the heavily-favoured defending champion New York Islanders, losing the final game on home ice. That season would prove to be the last one in which Vancouver won a playoff series until 1992.

After their improbable Stanley Cup run, the Canucks slipped back into mediocrity for the rest of the 1980s, making the playoffs only four times for the rest of the decade. For most of the second half of the 1980s, they had to fight the Los Angeles Kings for the final playoff spot in the Smythe Division. Whenever they did make the playoffs, they were promptly ousted by the dominant Edmonton Oilers in 1986) and the Calgary Flames in 1983, 1984 and 1989). Due to the way the playoffs were structured, the Canucks faced the certainty of having to get past either the Oilers, Flames, or both to get to the Conference Finals.

Notable players during the 1980s included diminutive (though long-serving) team captain Stan Smyl, who retired the franchise leader in most scoring categories and remains one of only two players to have their jersey number retired by the Canucks; Swedish imports Thomas Gradin and Patrik Sundstrom; penalty minute king Tiger Williams (who led the NHL in penalty minutes during two of his seasons with the Canucks); hard-rock defenceman Harold Snepsts (one of the most popular players in franchise history); and high-scoring right winger Tony Tanti.

Following the acquisition of Pat Quinn as general manager in 1988, the Canucks rose to prominence in the early 1990s. This rise to success came roughly around the time the Oilers and Flames began to sink in the standings. Unlike the league's other Canadian teams, the Canucks thrived in the new environment created by the rise in player salaries. Paced by players such as new captain Trevor Linden, goalie Kirk McLean, and high-scoring sensation Pavel Bure (nicknamed the "Russian Rocket"), the Canucks won two consecutive regular-season division titles in 1992 and 1993, though they would be eliminated by the Oilers and Kings during the playoffs, in that order.

In 1994 the Canucks made their second trip to the Finals, entering the playoffs as the seventh seed in the newly renamed Western Conference. The club had what could be characterized as an off-year during the regular season, but resumed their form during the playoffs. Once again, like in 1982, the Canucks would embark on an unexpected run. Drawing a first-round matchup with the rival Calgary Flames, the Canucks were victorious in a close seven-game series. After trailing the series three games to one, Geoff Courtnall and Trevor Linden won games five and six for Vancouver in overtime. Again forcing overtime in game seven, goaltender Kirk McLean made "The Save," a defining moment in team history, stacking pads on the goal line to stop a near-perfect setup by Theoren Fleury and Robert Reichel, saving the Canucks from elimination. Pavel Bure scored the series-winning goal on a breakaway, after taking a stretch pass from Jeff Brown, in the second overtime.

Following their upset of the Flames, they then went on to defeat both the Dallas Stars and Toronto Maple Leafs in five games before meeting the Presidents' Trophy-winning New York Rangers in the Stanley Cup Finals. Vancouver achieved victory in game one by a score of 3-2 in overtime, largely in part to a 52-save performance by goaltender McLean. After losing games two, three and four, the Canucks won games five and six to force a seventh game at Madison Square Garden on June 14, 1994. Despite a two-goal effort (one on a shorthanded breakaway) from team captain Trevor Linden, Vancouver could not complete their Cinderella run, though they did far better than during the one of 1982, having taken the finals all the way to a seventh game, as the Rangers won their first Stanley Cup in 54 years with a score of 3-2, a loss made more disappointing due to Nathan LaFayette hitting the Ranger goalpost with under six minutes left in the third period. The loss was followed by a riot in downtown Vancouver. Mayhem ensued resulting in property damage, injuries, and arrests. Following the riots, the Canucks held a rally at BC Place attended by 40,000 fans, who congratulated the team for their effort.

After the 1994 playoff run, Vancouver played mediocre hockey, finishing .500 in the lockout shortened 1994–95 season and finishing two games below .500 in 1995–96. Despite playing poorly, they made the playoffs in both seasons but failed to replicate their success in the 1994 playoffs. Expectations were high and the team would soon move into its new arena, General Motors Place. Head coach Quinn stepped down to focus on his duties as a general manager, and was replaced by assistant Rick Ley, who was later succeeded by Tom Renney. Russ Courtnall and Alexander Mogilny were acquired via trade from the Dallas Stars and Buffalo Sabres, respectively, in an effort to further improve offence; Russ was reunited with his brother Geoff, and Mogilny was reunited with his former CSKA Moscow linemate, Pavel Bure. However, the team was swept in the second round by the Chicago Blackhawks in 1995 and defeated in the first round by the Stanley Cup-winning Colorado Avalanche in 1996, a season in which Bure suffered a season-ending injury early on. During the 1996-97 season, Bure suffered another season-ending injury, and despite strong performances by players such as Martin Gelinas and Mogilny, the Canucks missed the playoffs.

In the 1997 off-season, the Canucks made a big splash and signed free agent Mark Messier to a lucrative three-year deal. Also during the off-season was a change in management as general manager Pat Quinn was fired and replaced with a management committee. Renney was fired and Mike Keenan assumed coaching and general manager duties; when given the latter power, he split up the core of the 1994 team, most notably trading away fan-favourite and until then, career-Canuck, Trevor Linden to the New York Islanders. Although hugely unpopular, this trade would net the Canucks future impact player Todd Bertuzzi. Later on in the season, Brian Burke assumed the duty of general manager, after a stint as NHL vice-president.

Suffering their worst season of the decade in 1998-99, Keenan was fired midway through and replaced with Marc Crawford (who had won the Stanley Cup with the Colorado Avalanche in 1996). Pavel Bure, unhappy with playing in Vancouver, held out for the season, and was dealt to the Florida Panthers in a blockbuster deal which landed the Canucks blue-chip defenceman Ed Jovanovski. The Canucks missed the post-season again, but the payoff for the dreadful season was the chance to draft future stars Daniel and Henrik Sedin second and third overall in the 1999 NHL Entry Draft.

During the 1999-00 season, expectations were low for the Canucks. However, they surprised all by fighting for a playoff spot during the entire season, only dropping out of the hunt on the second to last game. Several players showed signs of the superstars they would become, notably, Todd Bertuzzi and Markus Naslund. Alexander Mogilny was traded to the New Jersey Devils for Denis Pederson and future offensive stalwart, Brendan Morrison. At season's end, Messier would leave to return to the Rangers, and Naslund was selected to be the new captain of the team.

Under new general manager Burke and new coach Crawford, the Canucks had once again become a playoff contender. The team held their training camp in Stockholm in 2000, and participated against Swedish and Finnish teams in the NHL Challenge. These years were the heyday of the "West Coast Express" line, which consisted of high-scoring left-winger Markus Naslund, centre Brendan Morrison and power-forward right wing Todd Bertuzzi.

The rebuilt Canucks team returned to the playoffs in 2001 (capturing the eighth and final position on the last day of the season), appearing in the playoffs for the first time since 1996. Being the eighth seed, the Canucks drew the first-seeded Colorado Avalanche in the first round and were swept in four games in the absence of Naslund, who had suffered a broken leg during the season. The following season saw the return of the formerly-traded captain Trevor Linden, and another matchup with the top seed in the West, this time the Detroit Red Wings. This series was highlighted by a surprising 2-0 series lead taken by Vancouver, which was erased, following a weak goal allowed by goaltender Dan Cloutier from a centre-ice shot by Red Wings defenceman Nicklas Lidstrom. Detroit would win the next four games en route to a Stanley Cup championship.

2003 saw personal highs in the Canucks organization; Naslund finished the season with 104 points, enough for second-highest in the league. Bertuzzi finished fifth with 97. In goal, Cloutier posted a franchise record 7 shutouts. Winning a playoff series for the first time in eight years against the St. Louis Blues, a 3-1 series lead against the upstart Minnesota Wild would crumble away as the Wild won three straight, completing their second upset of the playoffs after defeating Colorado in Round one. In 2004, Bertuzzi would damage, some say irreparably, his reputation after his on-ice sucker punch from behind of Steve Moore of the Colorado Avalanche. He was suspended for the remainder of the regular season and playoffs. Despite winning the Northwest Division title in 2004 the Canucks would fall in the first round of the playoffs to their division rival, the Calgary Flames, who would go on to compete in the Stanley Cup Finals.

It was Tyler Machial who coined the phrase "Goalie Graveyard", when referring to the Canucks' long-standing history of having troubles between the pipes. Before the lockout of 2004-05, Burke did not have his contract renewed by the Canucks and was replaced by Dave Nonis, who had been assistant general manager and Director of Hockey Operations. Burke was then hired by the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim.

The 2005-06 season began with much promise; some hockey analysts picked the Canucks as Stanley Cup favourites. Under new general manager Nonis, free agent activity in the summer prior to the 2005-06 season saw players such as Anson Carter and Richard Park arrive in Vancouver. However, the team failed to meet expectations and completed the regular season in a disappointing ninth place in their Conference — narrowly missing a playoff position to the Edmonton Oilers; this caused debate about the effect of the point awarded for an overtime or shootout loss, recently instituted by the NHL. The season was characterized by under-achieving play, most notably in the first line of Naslund, Bertuzzi, and Morrison, which was expected to produce higher point totals under the new league rules. Morrison had a career-high 84 penalty minutes. Meanwhile, his wingers, Bertuzzi and Naslund, had a combined -37 in Plus/Minus Rating. Vancouver's highest-scoring line was the second line of Carter and the Sedin twins.

On April 25, 2006, the Canucks fired Crawford; he was hired by the Los Angeles Kings. Alain Vigneault, who had just coached Vancouver's AHL affiliate, the Manitoba Moose, to a 102-point season, was hired as his replacement on June 20, 2006.

The re-building of the Canucks continued just three days after Vigneault's hiring, when Nonis completed a blockbuster trade with the Florida Panthers, trading Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan Allen and Alex Auld for Roberto Luongo, Lukas Krajicek and a sixth-round draft pick (Sergei Shirokov) in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. Florida fan-favourite Luongo initially claimed to be "surprised" with being traded. He later signed a long-term 4-year, $27-million deal with the Canucks, which includes a no-trade clause after the first year, tying him with Chicago Blackhawks' Nikolai Khabibulin as the highest paid goaltender in the NHL and showing the Canucks' clear intention of making Luongo a franchise goalie. With the acquisition of Luongo, previous starting goaltender Dan Cloutier was dealt to the Los Angeles Kings on July 5, 2006.

On April 7, 2007, the Canucks won the Northwest Division title for the second time in three seasons with an overtime win over the San Jose Sharks. The win also gave Luongo his 47th win of the season, tying him for the previous single-season win record with Bernie Parent, which had been eclipsed during the same season by New Jersey Devils netminder Martin Brodeur.

The Canucks opened the 2007 playoffs with a quadruple-overtime win against their first-round opponents, the Dallas Stars. The game was the longest in club history and the sixth longest in league history. Also in this game, the Canucks set a record for shots against, allowing 76. In seven games, the Canucks prevailed despite a lack of goal-scoring; Stars goalie Marty Turco recorded three shutouts in the series, becoming the only goalie to earn three shutouts in a losing effort. Advancing to the second round, the team was defeated by the Stanley Cup-winning Anaheim Ducks in five games. Following the playoffs, coach Vigneault received the Jack Adams Award for his efforts in the Canucks' 49-win season.

The 2007-2008 season did not begin especially well, with key injuries beginning from training camp. Defencemen Sami Salo and Lukas Krajicek were both injured in October, while Kevin Bieksa was severely cut by the skate blade of Vernon Fiddler of the Nashville Predators on November 1. The trade deadline saw only one change for the team, with agitating left-winger Matt Cooke being traded to the Washington Capitals for left-winger Matt Pettinger. During the nine-game season-finale at the end of the season, the Canucks were again without Ohlund, who had suffered bone chips in his knee; as well, they lost promising rookie forward Mason Raymond to an MCL sprain and Morrison, again, to an ACL tear. Coming up short in these crucial games, the Canucks missed the playoffs for the second time in three years, coming up three points short. The final game of the season, played on home ice, saw the retiring Trevor Linden hailed as the first star of the game and given a standing ovation on a 7-1 loss to the Calgary Flames.

On April 14, 2008, the Canucks management fired general manager Dave Nonis. Nine days later, former player agent Mike Gillis was named as his replacement. In addition to Nonis' firing, the 2008 off-season saw several significant losses from the Canucks ranks. On May 29, 2008, the Vancouver Canucks tragically lost promising young prospect, Luc Bourdon, a defenseman picked 10th overall in the 2005 entry draft who died in a motorcycle crash near his hometown of Shippigan, New Brunswick. Shortly thereafter, long-time Canuck and fan favourite Trevor Linden officially retired on June 11, 2008. Then, as Gillis entered his first free agency period as general manager, he immediately made his mark on the team, letting team captain and all-time leading scorer Markus Naslund go to the New York Rangers and another long-time Canuck, Brendan Morrison sign with the Anaheim Ducks. In their place, Gillis signed unrestricted free agent Pavol Demitra, as well as traded for and signed restricted free agent Steve Bernier from the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for draft picks. Former Toronto Maple Leafs forward Kyle Wellwood was also added to the roster. Perhaps Gillis' most significant move was his two-year, $20 million contract offer to unrestricted free agent Mats Sundin. Although Sundin did not, at first, accept Gillis' offer, he later joined the Canucks in December 2008, signing a one-year, pro-rated, $6.5 million contract for the remainder of the 2008–09 season.

With the departure of Naslund to free agency, Gillis announced on September 30, 2008, that Roberto Luongo had been named team captain, marking the first time since Bill Durnan of the Montreal Canadiens in 1947 that a goaltender has been named the captain of their NHL team. On December 17, the Canucks retired the second jersey number in team history, hanging Trevor Linden's number 16 beside Smyl's number 12 in a pre-game ceremony.

From 1988 to 1997, the Vancouver Canucks were owned by local businessman and philanthropist Arthur Griffiths, who had inherited the ownership from his father, Frank. However, he was forced to sell his majority interest in the Canucks after overextending his resources trying to build a new arena, General Motors Place. As a result, he sold his majority share to American billionaire John McCaw, Jr..

On November 17, 2004, the Aquilini Investment Group, headed by Francesco Aquilini, purchased a 50% share in Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment (the owners of both the Canucks franchise and General Motors Place) from John McCaw, Jr.. Prior to the sale, Aquilini and two business partners, Tom Gaglardi and Ryan Beedie, had negotiated with Orca Bay for several months without concluding an agreement. In January 2005, Gaglardi and Beedie filed a lawsuit against Aquilini and Orca Bay, alleging that Aquilini and Orca Bay had acted in bad faith in concluding a deal using information obtained from their joint offer.

On November 8, 2006, Aquilini, along with his brothers Roberto and Paolo, purchased the remaining 50% of the Vancouver Canucks and General Motors Place from McCaw.

In May 2007, Gaglardi and Beedie's civil lawsuit over Aquilini's purchase reached the Supreme Court of British Columbia. The court ruled for Aquilini, on January 10, 2008. The court held that there was no legal partnership between Aquilini, Beedie, and Gaglardi, and that McCaw was free to sell the team to anyone he wished.

The team has gone through thirteen different logo and jersey changes in its history.

The team's first NHL jerseys, worn from the inaugural season of 1970-71 (modified for the 1972-73 season) until the end of the 1977-78 season, featured a blue rink-shaped rectangle with a hockey stick in it forming the letter "C", designed by North Vancouver artist, Joe Borovich. A modified version of this logo is still in use, as a shoulder patch on the team's current jerseys.

In 1978, aiming for a more aggressive image, the organization asked a San Francisco design agency, Beyl & Boyd, to design new uniforms. These consisted of a huge yellow, red-orange, and black striped "V" coming down from the shoulders (suggesting "victory", according to its designers). It is generally considered to be one of the worst uniforms in NHL history (hockey writer Stephen Cole referred to it looking like 'a punch in the eye').

The "Flying V" theme was abandoned in 1985, to feature the team's emblem on the front rather than the "V" (the emblem had previously been worn only on the arms). The logo consisted of the word "Canucks" in a diagonal slant as part the blade of a skate. The logo, with its laser-like design, was sometimes referred to as the "Star Wars" logo, the "waffle iron", the "plate of spaghetti", and most commonly, the "Flying Skate". The yellow home jerseys were scrapped in 1989 in favour of more conventional white ones, and the triangular shoulder stripes which adorned the post-"V" jerseys were discarded as well. The new incarnation was worn from 1989-92, when a subtle change was made — and went largely unnoticed for the rest of the jersey's lifespan. The orange was changed to red, and the deep "gold" colour was changed to a much brighter yellow, reportedly because jersey-maker CCM no longer produced the required hues. In 1996, an alternate jersey was introduced, retaining the "Flying Skate" logo, but using a salmon colour graduating to black near the bottom.

In 1997 the Canucks unveiled a new logo, in which a Haida-style orca (killer whale) breaking out of a patch of ice forms a stylized "C". The logo has been much-maligned, accused of being a blatant reference to their parent company, Orca Bay (now Canucks Sports and Entertainment). At the time, general manager Pat Quinn discussed wanting to have a West Coast colour scheme, and overall West Coast themes in the logo; the colour scheme included blue, red, and silver. Beginning in 2001, an alternate jersey was utilized, with contrasting shoulder patches and a blue-to-maroon graduated colour in the body. In 2006 these gradient-coloured alternate jerseys were officially replaced with the popular, royal blue "Stick-in-Rink" uniforms from the 1970s.

On November 14, 2008, prior to their Sport Celebrities Festival, the Canucks released their new RBK Edge Third Jersey. While staying with the colours of Vancouver, and combining the old with the new, the jersey looks very similar to their home jersey. The modernized "Stick-in-Rink" logo unveiled the previous year on the shoulder of the main jerseys is used as the main crest. On the shoulder, a V with the head of Johnny Canuck on top is used. This is the first time in team history since joining the NHL that Johnny Canuck has appeared on a Vancouver uniform. Sports Illustrated rated it 13th overall out of the 19 third jerseys released for the 2008 season.

After a relationship with CKNW stretching since the Canucks joined the NHL in 1970, the Canucks entered into a new radio broadcast deal in 2006 with The Team 1040 -- an AM sports/talk station. John Shorthouse continues to call the play-by-play, as he has since 1999. He is joined with colour commentary by Tom Larscheid, who has been with the broadcasts since 1977. The games air on 14 stations across British Columbia. In addition to national TV broadcasts on Hockey Night in Canada and on TSN, the Canucks also have arrangements with Rogers Sportsnet Pacific to air 47 games (as of 2007-08 season). These games are called by Shorthouse and former Canucks goaltender John Garrett. Additional games air on pay-per-view, which are radio simulcasts. On Friday, May 25, 2007, the Canucks and Sportsnet signed a multi-year contract that will keep the channel as the club's primary broadcaster. Under the agreement, Sportsnet Pacific will air 47 games in the 2007-08 NHL season and beginning this year select games will be broadcast in HD for the first time ever.

On October 25, 2008, the Canucks retired the jersey number '7' in honour of the fans, the "seventh Canuck". Originally, the plan was to have a randomly selected season ticket holder unveil the banner before every home game and have it raised to the rafters, but after the first game it was abandoned. The banner now hangs permanently in the rafters of GM Place and its future is unknown.

Records as of April 6, 2008.

Updated February 26, 2009.

Note: Due to league policy, Luongo will not be physically wearing the "C" on his jersey. Canucks defenceman Willie Mitchell will handle communications with on-ice officials, and defenceman Mattias Ohlund will handle ceremonial faceoffs.

Note: This list currently includes the NHL captains only.

These are the last ten first-round draft picks for the Vancouver Canucks.

These are the top-ten point-scorers in franchise history. Figures are updated after each completed NHL regular season.

To the top

Toronto Maple Leafs

Toronto Maple Leafs

The Toronto Maple Leafs are a professional ice hockey team based in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. They are members of the Northeast Division of the Eastern Conference of the National Hockey League (NHL). The organization, one of the "Original Six" members of the NHL, is officially known as the Toronto Maple Leaf Hockey Club and is the leading subsidiary of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. (MLSE). They have played at the Air Canada Centre (ACC) since 1999, after 68 years at Maple Leaf Gardens.

The Leafs are well known for their long and bitter rivalry with the Montreal Canadiens, and more recent rivalry with the Ottawa Senators. The franchise has won thirteen Stanley Cup championships, eleven as the Leafs, one as the Toronto St. Patricks, and one as the Toronto Arenas.

At $448 million (2008), the Leafs are the most valuable team in the NHL, followed by the New York Rangers and the Montreal Canadiens.

The National Hockey League was formed in 1917 in Montreal by teams formerly belonging to the National Hockey Association (NHA) that had a dispute with Eddie Livingstone, owner of the Toronto Blueshirts. The owners of the other four clubs – the Montreal Canadiens, Montreal Wanderers, Quebec Bulldogs, and Ottawa Senators – had enough votes between them to expel Livingstone from the NHA. Instead, they opted to create a new league, the NHL, and effectively left Livingstone's squad in the NHA by itself.

However, the other clubs felt it would be unthinkable not to have a team from Toronto (Canada's second largest city at the time) in the new league. They also needed another team to balance the schedule after the Bulldogs suspended operations (and as it turned out, would not ice a team until 1920). Accordingly, the NHL granted a "temporary" Toronto franchise to the Arena Company, owners of the Arena Gardens. The Arena Company agreed to lease the Blueshirts' players for the season until the dispute was resolved. This temporary franchise did not have an official name, but was informally called "the Blueshirts" by area writers and sometimes called "the Torontos" by fans. Under manager Charlie Querrie and coach Dick Carroll, the Toronto team won the Stanley Cup in the NHL's inaugural season.

For the next season, rather than return the Blueshirts' players to Livingstone as originally promised, the Arena Company formed its own team, the Toronto Arena Hockey Club, which was readily granted full-fledged membership in the NHL. Also that year, it was decided that only NHL teams would be allowed to play at the Arena Gardens. Livingstone sued to get his players back. Mounting legal bills from the dispute forced the Arenas to sell most of their stars, resulting in a horrendous five-win season in 1918–19. When it was obvious that the Arenas would not be able to finish out the season, the NHL agreed to let the Arenas halt operations in February 1919 and proceed directly to the playoffs. The Arenas' .278 winning percentage that season is still the worst in franchise history.

The legal dispute nearly ruined the Arena Company, and it was forced to put the Arenas up for sale. Querrie put together a group that mainly consisted of the people who had run the senior amateur St. Patricks team in the Ontario Hockey Association. The new owners renamed the team the Toronto St. Patricks (or St. Pats for short) and would operate it until 1927. This period saw the team's jersey colours change from blue to green, as well as a second Stanley Cup championship in 1922.

During this time, the St. Patricks also allowed other teams to play in the Arena Gardens whenever their home rinks lacked proper ice in the warmer months. At the time, the Arena was the only facility east of Manitoba with artificial ice.

Querrie lost a lawsuit to Livingstone and decided to put the St. Pats up for sale. He gave serious consideration to a $200,000 bid from a Philadelphia group. However, Toronto Varsity Graduates coach Conn Smythe put together an ownership group of his own and made a $160,000 offer for the franchise. With the support of St. Pats shareholder J. P. Bickell, Smythe persuaded Querrie to reject the Philadelphia bid, arguing that civic pride was more important than money.

After taking control on Valentine's Day 1927, Smythe immediately renamed the team the Maple Leafs (the Toronto Maple Leafs baseball team had won the International League championship a few months earlier and had been using that name for 30 years). The Maple Leafs say that the name was chosen in honour of the Maple Leaf Regiment from World War I. As the regiment is a proper noun, its plural is formed by adding a simple 's' creating Maple Leafs (not *Maple Leaves). Another story says that Smythe named the team after a team he had once scouted, called the East Toronto Maple Leafs, while Smythe's grandson states that Conn named the team after the Maple Leaf insignia he had worn during the First World War. Initial reports were that the team's colours would be changed to red and white, but the Leafs were wearing white sweaters with a green maple leaf for their first game on February 17, 1927. The next season, the Leafs appeared for the first time in the blue and white sweaters they have worn ever since. The Maple Leafs say that blue represents the Canadian skies and white represents snow, but in truth blue has been Toronto's principal sporting colour since the Toronto Argonauts adopted blue as their primary colour in 1873.

After four more lacklustre seasons (including three with Smythe as coach), Smythe and the Leafs debuted at their new arena, Maple Leaf Gardens, with a 2-1 loss to the Chicago Blackhawks on November 12, 1931.

Led by the "Kid Line" (Busher Jackson, Joe Primeau and Charlie Conacher) and coach Dick Irvin, the Leafs would capture their third Stanley Cup during the first season in their stadium, vanquishing the Montreal Maroons in the first round, the Boston Bruins in the semifinals, and the New York Rangers in the Stanley Cup Finals. Smythe took particular pleasure in defeating the Rangers that year; he had been tapped as the Rangers' first general manager and coach in the Rangers' inaugural season (1926–27), but had been fired in a dispute with Madison Square Garden management before the season.

The Leafs' star forward, Ace Bailey, was nearly killed in 1933 when Boston Bruins defenseman Eddie Shore checked him from behind into the boards at full speed. Maple Leafs defenseman Red Horner was able to knock Shore out with a punch, but it was too late as Bailey, who was by now writhing on the ice, had his career ended. The Leafs would hold the NHL's first All-Star Game to benefit Bailey.

The Leafs would reach the Finals five more times in the next seven years, but would not win, bowing out to the now-defunct Maroons in 1935, the Detroit Red Wings in 1936, the Chicago Black Hawks in 1938, Boston in 1939, and the hated Rangers in 1940. At this time, Smythe allowed Irvin to go to Montreal to help revive the then-moribund Canadiens, replacing him as coach with former Leafs captain Hap Day.

In the 1942 season, the Maple Leafs were down three games to none in a best-of-seven final in the playoffs against Detroit. However, fourth-line forward Don Metz would galvanize the team, coming from nowhere to score a hat trick in game four and the game-winning goal in game five, with the Leafs winning both times. Captain Syl Apps had won the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy that season, not taking one penalty and finishing his ten-season career with an average of 5 minutes, 36 seconds in penalties a season. Goalie Turk Broda would shut out the Wings in game six, and Sweeney Schriner would score two goals in the third period to win the seventh game 3-1.

Apps told writer Trent Frayne in 1949, "If you want me to be pinned down to my biggest second, I'd say it was the last tick of the clock that sounded the final bell. It's something I shall never forget at all." It was the first time a major pro sports team came back from behind 3-0 to win a best-of-seven championship series.

Three years later, with their heroes from 1942 dwindling (due to either age, health, or the war), the Leafs turned to lesser-known players like rookie goalie Frank McCool and defenseman Babe Pratt. They would upset the Red Wings in the 1945 finals.

The powerful defending champion Montreal Canadiens and their "Punch Line" (Maurice "Rocket" Richard, Toe Blake and Elmer Lach), would be the Leafs' nemesis two years later when the two teams clashed in the 1947 finals. Ted "Teeder" Kennedy would score the game-winning goal late in game six to win the Leafs their first of three straight Cups — the first time any NHL team had accomplished that feat. With their Cup victory in 1948, the Leafs moved ahead of Montreal for the most Stanley Cups in league history. It would take the Canadiens 10 years to reclaim the record.

The Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens would meet once again in the finals in 1951, with all five games going to overtime. Tod Sloan scored with 42 seconds left in the third period of game five to send it to an extra period, and defenceman Bill Barilko, who had scored only six goals in the regular season, scored the game-winner to win Toronto their fourth Cup in five years. Barilko's glory, however, was short-lived: he disappeared in a plane crash near Timmins, Ontario, barely four months after that moment. The Leafs would not win the Cup again that decade.

Before the 1961-62 season, Smythe sold nearly all of his shares in Maple Leaf Gardens to a partnership composed of his son Stafford Smythe, newspaper baron John Bassett, and Toronto Marlboros president Harold Ballard. The sale price was $2.3 million, a handsome return on Smythe's original investment 34 years earlier. Conn Smythe later claimed that he knew nothing about his son's partners, but it is very unlikely that he could have believed Stafford could have raised the money on his own.

Under the new ownership trio, Toronto won another three straight Stanley Cups from 1962 to 1964. The team featured Hall of Famers Frank Mahovlich, Red Kelly, Johnny Bower, Dave Keon, Andy Bathgate, and Tim Horton, and was helmed by coach and general manager Punch Imlach.

In 1967, the Leafs and Canadiens met in the Cup finals for the last time to date, where Montreal was considered to be a heavy favourite. But Bob Pulford scored the double-overtime winner in Game 3, Jim Pappin got the series winner in Game 6, and Keon won the Conn Smythe Trophy as most valuable player of the playoffs as the Maple Leafs won the Stanley Cup in six games. The Leafs have not won the Stanley Cup since.

In 1968, Mahovlich was traded to Detroit in a blockbuster deal, and in 1969, following a first-round playoff loss to the Bruins, Smythe fired Imlach. Horton declared, "If this team doesn't want Imlach, I guess it doesn't want me." He was traded to the New York Rangers the next year.

Following Stafford Smythe's death, Harold Ballard bought his shares to take majority control of the team. Ballard's controversial term as the Leafs' owner was marked by several disputes with prominent players, including Keon, Lanny McDonald, and Darryl Sittler, poor win/loss records, and not a single Stanley Cup championship.

During the 1970s, with the overall talent level in the league diluted by the addition of 12 new franchises and the birth of the rival World Hockey Association (WHA), the Leafs were able to ice competitive teams for several seasons. But despite the presence of stars such as Sittler, McDonald, Dave "Tiger" Williams, Ian Turnbull, and Borje Salming, they only once made it past the second round of the playoffs, besting the New York Islanders (a soon-to-be dynasty) in the 1978 quarter-finals only to be swept by arch-rival Montreal in the semi-finals. One of the few highlights from this era occurred on February 7, 1976, when Sittler scored six goals and four assists against the Bruins to establish a NHL single-game points record that still stands more than 30 years later.

The serious decline started in July 1979, when Ballard brought back Imlach, a long-time friend, as general manager. Imlach traded McDonald to undermine his friend Sittler's influence on the team. Sittler himself was gone two years later, when the Leafs traded him to the Philadelphia Flyers. He was the franchise's all-time leading scorer until Mats Sundin passed Sittler's total in 2007.

The McDonald trade sent the Leafs into a downward spiral. They finished five games under .500 and barely made the playoffs. For the next 12 years, the Leafs (who had shifted to the Norris Division for the 1981–82 season) were barely competitive, not posting another winning record until 1992–93. They missed the playoffs six times and finished above fourth in their division only once (in 1990, the only season where they even posted a .500 record). They made it beyond the first round of the playoffs twice (in 1986 and 1987, advancing to the division finals). The low point came in 1984–85, when they finished 32 games under .500, the second-worst record in franchise history (their .300 winning percentage was only 22 percentage points higher than the 1918–19 Arenas).

The Leafs' poor records during the 1980s, however, did result in several high draft picks. Wendel Clark, the first overall pick in the 1985 draft, was the lone success from the entry drafts of this period and went on to captain the team.

Ballard died in 1990, and a year later his long-time friend, supermarket tycoon Steve Stavro, bought a majority stake in the Leafs from his estate. Unlike Ballard, Stavro hated the limelight and rarely interfered in the Leafs' hockey operations. His first act was to lure Calgary Flames GM Cliff Fletcher, who had crafted the Flames' 1989 Stanley Cup championship team, to Toronto after the 1991-92 season.

Fletcher immediately set about building a club that would be competitive once again, making a series of trades and free agent acquisitions which turned the Leafs from an also-ran to a contender almost overnight, starting in 1992-93. Outstanding play from forwards Doug Gilmour (an acquaintance of Fletcher's from Calgary) and Dave Andreychuk (acquired from the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for Grant Fuhr), as well as stellar goaltending from minor league call-up Felix Potvin, led the team to a then-franchise-record 99 points, third place in the Norris Division, and the eighth-best overall record in the league. Toronto dispatched the Detroit Red Wings in seven games in the first round, then defeated the St. Louis Blues in another seven games in the Division Finals.

Hoping to meet long-time rival Montreal (who was playing in the Wales Conference Finals against the New York Islanders) in the Cup Finals, the Leafs faced the Los Angeles Kings, led by Wayne Gretzky, in the Campbell Conference Finals. The Leafs led the series 3-2, but dropped Game 6 in Los Angeles. The game was not without controversy, as Gretzky clipped Gilmour in the face with his stick, but referee Kerry Fraser did not call a penalty and Gretzky scored the winning goal moments later. Gretzky's hat trick in Game 7 finished the Leafs' run, and it was the Kings that moved on to the Cup Finals against the Canadiens.

The Leafs had another strong season in 1993-94, finishing with 98 points, good enough for fifth overall in the league – their highest finish in 16 years. However, despite finishing one point above Calgary, Toronto was seeded third in the Western Conference (formerly the Campbell Conference) by virtue of the Flames' Pacific Division title. The Leafs eliminated the division rival Chicago Blackhawks in six games and the surprising San Jose Sharks in seven before falling to the Vancouver Canucks in five games in the Western Conference Finals. At that year's draft, the Leafs would package Clark in a trade with the Quebec Nordiques that netted them Mats Sundin.

In 1996, Stavro took on Larry Tanenbaum, the co-founder of Toronto's new National Basketball Association (NBA) team, the Toronto Raptors, as a partner. Maple Leaf Gardens Ltd. was accordingly renamed Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment (MLSE), and it remains the parent company of the Leafs, the Raptors, and Toronto FC of Major League Soccer (MLS), to the present day.

After two years out of the playoffs in the late 1990s, the Leafs acquired goaltender Curtis Joseph as a free agent from the Edmonton Oilers and signed Pat Quinn, who had been fired by Vancouver in 1997, to serve as head coach. This resulted in the Leafs making another charge during the 1999 playoffs after moving from Maple Leaf Gardens to the new Air Canada Centre, shared with the new Toronto Raptors. The team eliminated the Philadelphia Flyers and Pittsburgh Penguins in the first two rounds of the playoffs, but lost in five games to the Buffalo Sabres in the Eastern Conference Finals.

Toronto reached the second round of the playoffs in both 2000 and 2001, only to lose both times to the New Jersey Devils, who made the Stanley Cup Finals both seasons and won in 2000. The 2000 season was particularly notable because it marked the Leafs' first division title in 37 years, as well as the franchise's first-ever 100-point season. The season ended on a particular low, however, with the Leafs being held to just 6 shots in game six of the second round against the Devils.

In 2002, the Leafs dispatched the Islanders and their Ontario rivals, the Ottawa Senators, in the first two rounds, only to lose to the Cinderella-story Carolina Hurricanes in the Conference Finals. The 2002 season was particularly impressive in that the Leafs had many of their better players sidelined by injuries, but managed to make it to the conference finals due to the efforts of lesser-known players who were led mainly by Gary Roberts and Alyn McCauley.

Joseph left to go to the defending champion Red Wings in the 2002 off-season; the team found a replacement in veteran Ed Belfour, who came over from the Dallas Stars and had been a crucial part of their 1999 Stanley Cup run. Belfour could not help their playoff woes in the 2003 playoffs, however, as the team lost to Philadelphia in seven games in the first round. 2003 also witnessed a change in the ownership ranks, as Stavro sold his controlling interest in MLSE to the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan and resigned his position as Chairman of the Board in favour of Tanenbaum. Stavro died in 2006.

The 2003-04 season started in an uncommon way for the team, as they held their training camp in Sweden and played in the NHL Challenge against teams from Sweden and Finland. That year, the Leafs had a very successful regular season, posting a franchise-record 103 points. They finished with the fourth-best record in the league (their best overall finish in 41 years) and also managed a .628 win percentage, their best in 43 years and the third-best in franchise history. Toronto defeated the Senators in the first round of the playoffs for the fourth time in five years, but lost to the Flyers in the second round in six games.

Following the 2004-05 NHL lockout, the Leafs began experiencing some rough times. They struggled in 2005-06, and despite a late-season surge (9-1-2 in their final 12), led by third-string goaltender Jean-Sebastien Aubin, the Leafs were eliminated from playoff contention for the first time since 1998. This marked the first time that the team missed the playoffs under coach Pat Quinn, and as a result he was fired shortly after the season. Paul Maurice, an experienced NHL coach who had just coached the Leafs' American Hockey League affiliate, the Toronto Marlies, in their inaugural season, was announced as Pat Quinn's replacement. On June 30, 2006, the Maple Leafs bought out the contract of long-time fan favourite, Tie Domi. The team's current marketing slogan is "The Passion That Unites Us All." In addition to Domi, the Maple Leafs also decided against picking up the option year on the contract of goaltender Ed Belfour. Both players became free agents on July 1, 2006, effectively ending their tenures with the Toronto Maple Leafs. However, despite the coaching change and addition of new players such as Pavel Kubina and Michael Peca, the Leafs again did not make the playoffs in 2006-07 or 2007-08.

On January 22, 2008, general manager John Ferguson Jr. was fired and was replaced by Cliff Fletcher on an interim basis. On May 7, the Leafs fired head coach Paul Maurice and assistant coach Randy Ladouceur, and replaced them with former San Jose Sharks coach, Ron Wilson, and assistants Tim Hunter and Rob Zettler.

On November 29, 2008, the Maple Leafs hired Brian Burke as their 13th non-interim General Manager (1st American) in team history. The acquisition of Burke had ended the second Cliff Fletcher era and settled rumours that Brian was coming to Toronto within the next year.

As one of the oldest teams in the league, the Leafs have developed numerous rivalries. The deepest of these is with the Montreal Canadiens, which is acknowledged as one of the richest rivalries in ice hockey, and has labelled the two as "Forever Rivals." The Canadiens have won 24 Stanley Cups, while the Leafs have won 13, putting them at first and second place in NHL history, respectively. The Canadiens' fan point of view is perhaps most famously captured in the popular Canadian short story "The Hockey Sweater", by Roch Carrier, originally published in French as "Une abominable feuille d'érable sur la glace" ("An abominable maple leaf on the ice") referring to the Maple Leafs sweater his mother forces him to wear.

The rivalry between the Leafs and the Ottawa Senators, known as The Battle of Ontario, has heated up since the late 1990s, owing in no small part to the Canadiens' struggles during that period. While Ottawa has dominated during most of the teams' regular season matchups in recent years, the Leafs have won all four postseason series between the two teams, including a four-game sweep.

The Leafs' biggest U.S.-based rivals of late have been the Philadelphia Flyers, who defeated the Leafs in the 2003 and 2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs. The rivalry goes back to the 1970s when the Flyers and Leafs had the reputation as being two of the toughest (and often most penalized) teams in the league. Games between the two teams are still often very physical.

The Buffalo Sabres have also been cited as notable American rivals of the Leafs. Buffalo is the NHL team which is closest to Toronto, only a short drive along the Queen Elizabeth Way. A large number of Leaf fans typically travels to Buffalo for road games there, giving them a somewhat neutral setting.

The Leafs also maintain a traditional Original Six rivalry with the Detroit Red Wings. The teams' close proximity to each other (the two cities are just 380 kilometres (240 mi) apart) and a number of shared fans—particularly in markets such as Windsor, Ontario—means the rivalry is found more in the crowd than on the ice; since the Maple Leafs moved to the Eastern Conference in 1998, the two teams have faced each other less often each season.

Maple Leafs fans are known by the collective nickname "Leafs Nation," which the club uses on its website. Maple Leafs home games have long been one of the toughest tickets to acquire in Canada, even during lean periods. The Leafs, along with the Minnesota Wild, currently have the longest sellout streaks in the NHL. As of 2008, there is a waiting list of about 2,500 names for season tickets. Earlier, they sold out every game at Maple Leaf Gardens from 1946 until the building closed in 1999. The Leafs have also sold out every game at the Air Canada Centre since its opening in 1999. With an average of US$1.9 million per game, the Leafs had the highest average ticket revenue per game in the 2007–08 season; the previous season they earned about $1.5 million per game.

Conversely, there is an equally passionate dislike of the team by fans of several other NHL teams. In November 2002, the Leafs were named by Sports Illustrated hockey writer Michael Farber as the "Most Hated Team in Hockey." Leafs fans are also known for being loyal despite being treated poorly — in a 2008 survey by ESPN The Magazine on rewarding fans, the Leafs were ranked 121st out of the 122 professional teams in the Big Four leagues. Teams were graded by stadium experience, ownership, player quality, ticket affordability, championships won and "bang for the buck"; in particular, the Leafs came last in ticket affordability.

In the United States, several cities in the Sun Belt have sizable numbers of Leaf fans, as many Snowbirds tend to flock to locales such as Phoenix, Tampa Bay, and Miami during the winter, resulting in a boost in turnout and ticket sales when these franchises play the Maple Leafs.

Updated March 19, 2009.

The following members of the Toronto Maple Leafs have been inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. The list includes anyone who played for the Leafs who was later inducted as a player. The list of builders includes anyone inducted as a builder who spent any part of their career in a coaching, management, or ownership role with the Leafs.

These are the top-ten point-scorers in franchise history, as of the end of the 2007–08 season. Figures are updated after each completed NHL regular season.

To the top

Anaheim Ducks

Anaheim Ducks jerseys: 2006-2007.

The Anaheim Ducks are a professional ice hockey team based in Anaheim, California, USA. They are members of the Pacific Division of the Western Conference of the National Hockey League (NHL). Since their inception, the Ducks have played their home games at Honda Center.

The club was founded in 1993 by The Walt Disney Company as the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, a name based on the film The Mighty Ducks. Disney sold the franchise in 2005 to Henry & Susan Samueli, who changed the name of the team to the Anaheim Ducks before the 2006–07 season. In their 15 year existence, the Ducks have made the playoffs six times, winning two Western Conference Championships (2003 and 2007) and one Stanley Cup championship (2007).

The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim were founded in 1993 by The Walt Disney Company. The team's original name was chosen from the Disney movie The Mighty Ducks, based on a group of misfit kids who turn their losing youth hockey team into a winning team. Disney subsequently made an animated series called Mighty Ducks, featuring a fictional Mighty Ducks of Anaheim team that consisted of anthropomorphized ducks led by the mighty duck Wildwing.

The team was the first tenant of the Anaheim Arena (later the Arrowhead Pond and now the Honda Center), a brand-new arena in Anaheim located a short distance east of Disneyland and across the Orange Freeway from Angel Stadium. The arena was completed the same year the team was founded, with the naming rights originally being held by Arrowhead Water .

With their first-ever draft pick, the Mighty Ducks selected Paul Kariya fourth overall in the 1993 NHL Entry Draft. Kariya would quickly become a fan favorite and the cornerstone of the young Mighty Ducks franchise. As team captain, he would bring them within a game of Stanley Cup glory in 2003.

During the 1994 season they would finish fourth in the division with 71 points. Their record would be one of the best of a first year expansion team but their expansion brother the Florida Panthers would have a better one.

During the shortened lockout season Duck Oleg Tverdovsky made his NHL debut. The team would finish last in the Pacific Division with 37 points.

On February 7, 1996, the Mighty Ducks made a blockbuster deal with the Winnipeg Jets. The Ducks sent Chad Kilger, Tverdovsky, and a third-round pick to the Jets in return for Marc Chouinard, a fourth-round draft pick, and, most notably, star right winger Teemu Selanne. On a line with Steve Rucchin and Paul Kariya, Selanne's chemistry with the latter made them one of the highest-scoring tandems in the league.

After missing the playoffs in their first three seasons, the Mighty Ducks finished 1996–97 fourth in the Western Conference, earning home-ice advantage for a first-round playoff series with the Phoenix Coyotes. The Coyotes initially took a series 3–2 lead, but the Ducks won the last two including Game 7 at home to win their inaugural playoff series. However, Anaheim was swept by the eventual Stanley Cup champion Detroit Red Wings in the second round. Even though Detroit officially swept the Ducks, every game was close in the series. Three games went into overtime, including one that went into double overtime, and one that went into triple overtime. After a disappointing 1998 season, the next year saw the Ducks once again contending for the playoffs. Late in the season, the Ducks had the chance to face the Phoenix Coyotes, a team they played well against that season, in the first round due to Phoenix holding fourth seed and the Ducks holding fifth. But a late season cold streak dropped the Ducks to sixth seed and had face the third seed Red Wings, whom they did not play well against. Once again, the Ducks lost in four to the Red Wings, this time in a more convincing manner than in 1997 ending with a 3–0 loss on home ice, this time in the Western Quarterfinals.

After a three-year playoff hiatus, Anaheim qualified for the 2003 Stanley Cup playoffs. For the third straight post-season in which they participated, the Mighty Ducks met the defending Stanley Cup champion Red Wings. This time, however, Anaheim shocked the hockey world as they swept Detroit in the series with Rucchin's series-clincher on Curtis Joseph coming in overtime of Game 4. The Ducks would then defeat the #1-seeded Dallas Stars in six games in the Conference Semifinals, which was noted for Game 1 being the fourth longest game in NHL history, with the Ducks winning in the fifth overtime period thanks to Petr Sykora. In the Conference Finals, the Ducks would make quick work of the upstart Minnesota Wild (only allowing one goal the entire series) to earn their first-ever Western Conference championship and berth in the Stanley Cup Finals.

The 2003 Stanley Cup Finals against the New Jersey Devils was a battle between two elite goaltenders, Martin Brodeur for New Jersey and Jean-Sebastien Giguere for Anaheim. It was also noted for two brothers, Rob Niedermayer for the Ducks, and his older brother Scott Niedermayer for the Devils, competing for the same prize. Quite possibly the most remembered moment of the series, Game 6 saw Paul Kariya on the wrong side of a fierce body check from New Jersey captain Scott Stevens. Kariya was knocked out and sent to the dressing room. But eleven minutes later, Kariya returned from the dressing room and scored the game winning goal to help the Ducks tie the series at three games apiece. Anaheim could not complete their Cinderella run, though, as they lost a hard-fought Stanley Cup Final in seven games to the Devils; all the games in the finals were won by the home team. For his fine play during the post-season, Ducks goaltender Jean Sebastien Giguere won the Conn Smythe Trophy as Most Valuable Player of the playoffs. He became only the fifth player, and fourth goaltender, in NHL history to have won the trophy as a member of the losing team.

After losing Paul Kariya to the Colorado Avalanche (he joined Selanne, who also signed with Colorado after two seasons with the San Jose Sharks) via free agency shortly after the season ended, the Ducks signed star Sergei Fedorov from Detroit and Vaclav Prospal from Tampa Bay. Still, 2004 was a major disappointment for the Ducks as they missed the playoffs completely, and suffered low attendance figures despite their magical playoff run of the previous year.

During the summer of 2004, as the NHL and the NHL Players Association's labor dispute was headed towards a long lockout, Disney tried to sell the team but received a low offer of $40-million US, less than the franchise's original price. In 2005, Broadcom co-founder Henry Samueli of Irvine, California and his wife, Susan, bought the Mighty Ducks from The Walt Disney Company for a reported $75 million (USD). The Samuelis have pledged to keep the team in Anaheim, much as Arturo Moreno did when he purchased the Anaheim Angels from Disney. Brian Burke, former Vancouver Canucks General Manager and President, was appointed GM and Executive Vice-President of the Mighty Ducks on June 20, 2005.

On August 1, 2005, former Norris Trophy-winning defenceman Randy Carlyle was hired as the seventh coach in team history. Burke was familiar with Carlyle's coaching ability, as the latter had coached the Manitoba Moose from 1996–2001 (International Hockey League) and 2004–05 (American Hockey League); the Moose had been the Canucks' farm club since 2001. Carlyle replaced Mike Babcock, who left the Ducks to coach the Red Wings. Also during that summer, the Mighty Ducks brought back former star and fan favorite Teemu Selanne, and made their first big free-agency splash under Burke when he signed defenceman Scott Niedermayer, the 2004 Norris Trophy winner and older brother of Ducks forward Rob, to a four-year contract, from New Jersey.

The 2005–06 season saw the Ducks trade away big-name players with big contracts such as Petr Sykora and Sergei Fedorov in favor of younger players such as Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Chris Kunitz, and Joffrey Lupul. The Ducks had a rough start to season, but the plan was ultimately successful; the Ducks became one of the best teams in the league down the stretch and ended up the sixth seed in the West. In an interesting playoff where the bottom 4 seeds knocked off the top 4 seeds, The Ducks beat the heavily favored Calgary Flames in seven games and Colorado Avalanche in a sweep on a run through the playoffs, only to be stopped in the conference finals by the Edmonton Oilers in five games, who had swept the Ducks in the regular season series. The team banked on its youth again, seeing Lupul, Getzlaf, Kunitz, and Ilya Bryzgalov turn in stellar performances. In fact, Bryzgalov took over the starting job from Giguere during game 5 of the Calgary series and broke Giguere's 2003 record shutout streak.

On January 26, 2006, the team announced, effective with the 2006–07 season, the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim would change their name to the Anaheim Ducks. This included logo and team color changes which were unveiled at a special ceremony five months later. Many Ducks fans successfully petitioned the Samuelis to keep Wildwing as the current mascot because of the team's recent success and as a link to the past. Along with the new name, their home ice (the Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim) was renamed Honda Center as Arrowhead Water's naming rights had expired.

On July 3, 2006, the Ducks traded young sniper Lupul, defenceman prospect Ladislav Smid, a 2007 first-round draft pick, a second-round choice in 2008, and a conditional first-round selection in 2008 to the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for star defenceman Chris Pronger, who had publicly requested a trade from the Oilers ten days earlier citing personal reasons, with many speculating that his wife was unhappy living in Edmonton.

Picked by some publications as a favorite to win the Cup, the Ducks started the 2006–07 season on fire. On November 9, 2006, the Ducks defeated the Vancouver Canucks 6–0 at General Motors Place in Vancouver, British Columbia to improve their season record to 12–0–4. The win set an NHL open era record by remaining undefeated in regulation for the first 16 games of the season, eclipsing the previous mark set by the 1983–84 Edmonton Oilers. They were subsequently shut out by the Flames the following game, 3–0, ending their streak. On December 12, the Ducks defeated the Florida Panthers on the road 5–4. They broke a franchise record for their sixth road win in a row. They also improved their record that night to 24–3–6 and 54 points. No team having played 33 games had reached 54 points since the 1979 Philadelphia Flyers. The next night, the Ducks beat the Atlanta Thrashers to improve their road record to 12–1–2. The 26 points set the NHL mark for the most points on the road through 15 games. The previous record-holders, 1951–52 Detroit Red Wings had 25 points (10–0–5).

On January 16, 2007 the Ducks played in their franchise's 1000th regular season game , and on March 11, the Ducks recorded their franchise's 1000th point with a 4–2 win over the Vancouver Canucks, which improved their franchise all-time record to 423–444–155, 1001 points . On April 7, the Ducks won their first Pacific Division title in franchise history, when the Vancouver Canucks defeated the second-place San Jose Sharks at HP Pavilion in the Sharks' final game of the season. Anaheim also played their last game of the 2006–07 NHL season that day against the Columbus Blue Jackets. Anaheim won the game 4–3, finishing off the season with a total of 110 points—the first 100-point season in franchise history. This was good enough for the fourth-best record in the league (behind Buffalo, Detroit and Nashville). Although they had three fewer wins than the Predators, the Ducks were seeded second in the Western Conference playoffs by virtue of their division title.

In the Western Conference quarter finals, the Ducks once again met the Minnesota Wild and defeated them 4 games to 1. Next up was the Vancouver Canucks, the Northwest Division champions, whom they also defeated 4 games to 1. They faced the Red Wings in the Western Conference Finals, winning 4 games to 2. A 4–3 win on May 22 at Honda Center gave the Ducks their second Western Conference title, and placed them in the Stanley Cup Finals for the second time. This time, they faced off against the Ottawa Senators, and on June 6, the Ducks defeated the Senators 6–2 at Honda Center to claim their first Stanley Cup in franchise history. The Ducks became the first California team, and the first west coast team since the 1925 Victoria Cougars to win the Stanley Cup, the only national championship trophy that had eluded the Greater Los Angeles area.

The playoffs came with much controversy, though. The Ducks had players suspended in three of the four rounds, starting with Brad May's suspension for three games in the series against the Minnesota Wild when he punched the Wild's Kim Johnsson. Chris Pronger was suspended for one game twice; once against the Detroit Red Wings for checking Tomas Holmstrom high, and then once more for elbowing Dean McAmmond of the Ottawa Senators in the Finals.

After winning the Stanley Cup, two star players, defenceman Scott Niedermayer and right winger Teemu Selanne stated that they were unsure whether or not the would return to the team for the 07/08 season as they both felt the need to contemplate retirement. Neidermayer returned in December 07. As a result of this indecision Burke was active in the Free Agent market signing two veteran players in high scoring defenceman Mathieu Schneider and gritty forward Todd Bertuzzi to 2 year contracts to replace Niedermayer and Selanne if they were to retire. Later on, Oilers GM Kevin Lowe signed Dustin Penner to an offer sheet that would pay him 4.25 million a year over the next five. Burke called out Lowe, saying 'it was a classless move made by a desperate GM trying to save his job.' He did not match the offer. In return, the Ducks received the Oiler's first, second and third round draft picks. Later that summer he signed backup defenceman Joe DiPenta to a one year contract along with re-signing the gritty team leader Brad May.

The Ducks began their Cup defense against the Kings for a two game set in London, England, without Scott Niedermayer and Teemu Selanne, who were pondering over decision to continue playing hockey at the time, and injured Samuel Pahlsson and J. S. Giguere, splitting the series. On October 10, against the Boston Bruins, the Ducks raised their Pacific Division, Western Conference and Stanley Cup Champion banners. It was a rough start overall for the Ducks as they made minor trades to try and tread water. The Ducks let backup goalie Ilya Bryzgalov go on waivers, where he was picked up by the Phoenix Coyotes.

The drama surrounding Niedermayer finally brought positive news for the Ducks, as GM Brian Burke declared he would return on December 5. December 14, 2007, marked an important event in Ducks history, as Brian Burke dealt center Andy McDonald to the St. Louis Blues in exchange for Doug Weight, Michal Birner, and the Blues seventh round draft pick in order to clear salary cap issues. On December 16, 2007 Niedermayer made his return to Anaheim, playing his first game back with the team. The team immediately improved and got back into the playoff and Pacific Division pictures. For the All-Star game, Ryan Getzlaf and Chris Pronger were selected to participate. Later Corey Perry and Scott Niedermayer were listed as injury replacements. It was a club record for players in an All-Star game.

The Ducks would receive more good news on January 28, 2008, as Teemu Selanne signed a one year contract with the Ducks and would finish out the 2007–08 season with them. The Ducks would win nine out of their first ten games with Selanne in the line-up. At the trade deadline the Ducks acquired defenseman Marc-Andre Bergeron from the New York Islanders and J.S. Aubin from the Kings. With nine games to go in the regular season Chris Pronger would be suspended for eight of them for stomping on the leg of Ryan Kesler of the Vancouver Canucks. The Ducks finished fourth in the Western Conference and began their defense of the Cup against division rival Dallas. On April 20, 2008, the Dallas Stars won Game 6 of the series 4–1, thus ending the Ducks' chance of a repeat Cup.

With the Ducks having a longer off-season than of the recent two seasons, they often found themselves in the middle of media headlines.

Off the ice, the feud between Brian Burke and former Edmonton Oilers GM Kevin Lowe heated, as once again words were thrown between both in the media. League commissioner Gary Bettman ordered the feud "cease and desist". Owner Henry Samueli was imprisoned for lying to the Securities and Exchange Commission judge about a fraudulent business operation. Bettman gave interim ownership of the team to Anaheim Ducks CEO Michael Schulman, as the Samuelis were banned from any contact with the Ducks whatsoever.

The Ducks placed veteran forward Todd Bertuzzi on waivers, where he was eventually not claimed and became a free agent. He eventually was signed by the Calgary Flames on July 7, 2008. As the Ducks were looking to fill a void left on the second-line center position, they signed Vancouver Canucks center Brendan Morrison to a one-year deal. More good news would abound as Scott Niedermayer announced he would return for another season. The Ducks also signed Corey Perry to a six-year deal. Despite all the offseason moves however, the Ducks were still in a logjam cap-wise, and in turn dealt defenseman Mathieu Schneider to the Atlanta Thrashers in exchange for Ken Klee, Brad Larsen, and minor-leaguer Chad Painchaud. Moving Schneider to Atlanta freed up enough cap room to sign fan favorite Teemu Selanne, who was previously signed to a pro tryout contract in the preseason to ensure no team would send a counter offer his way. Veteran defenseman Sean O'Donnell was dealt a few days into the preseason, in what GM Brian Burke called a cap-related move. Sean was dealt to the rival Los Angeles Kings for a conditional third-round pick. Rumors later surfaced that the O'Donnell trade was meant to send a message after a rocky start to the preseason, and the move was seen as very controversial by Ducks fans.

After a long offseason and an impressive preseason with a franchise record 6-1-1, the Ducks opened the regular season in San Jose, taking on the Sharks in what would end up a 4-1 loss for the Ducks. Days later the Ducks held their home opener on October 12, 2008, as they hosted a young and refreshed Phoenix Coyotes team. The Ducks dropped the game 4-2 in front of a sold-out home crowd.

The Ducks struggled at 1-5-0 to start the season, but reversed the sluggish start with a sweep of a four-game road trip, winning games in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, and Columbus. The Ducks would win 8 of 9 games from there, before adversity struck. Defenseman Francois Beauchemin suffered a torn ACL after taking a slapshot off the ankle in a game against Nashville. Days later, GM Brian Burke resigned his position as Ducks GM, handing over GM duties to right-hand man Bob Murray, as Burke would in turn leave for Toronto some days later. Highly-rated rookie Bobby Ryan was called up to the team with defenseman Brett Festerling from the Iowa Chops. The Ducks soon continue to play well, but the Ducks lost 14 their last 18 games heading to the All-Star break. Three Anaheim Ducks players, Ryan Getzlaf, Jean-Sebastien Giguere, and Scott Niedermayer were all named starters for the game. That was the first time since the 1992 Los Angeles Kings players, Wayne Gretzky, Marcel Dionne, and Marty McSorley to reach that plateau. The Ducks soon continue their losing slump of losing 4 out of 6 gmss and continuing falling in the Western Conference playoff and Pacic Division picture. They are currently 10th in the western confernce and three points out of the playoff spot. The Ducks are behind the Dallas Stars in the Pacific Division in third place, with each game now seen as crucial for the Ducks.

The Ducks' logo features a webbed foot forming a "D" followed by the other letters in the word "Ducks" in upper-case letters. The text itself is gold (which sometimes may appear as bronze as well) with orange and black accents (forming a three dimensional appearance). The entire logo is in turn outlined by white. The city of Anaheim's name appears in smaller upper-case print, above the team name. The Ducks are one of three NHL teams to feature their team name spelled out in a scripted form on the front of their jersey rather than a logo. The New York Rangers and the Washington Capitals are the other two. This does not include alternate jerseys or throwback jerseys worn by other teams.

The old logo of the Ducks prior to the name change featured an old-style goaltender mask, shaped to form the appearance of a duck bill. Behind the mask are two intersecting hockey sticks, a black circle and a triangle (the color of the triangle is either green or gray, depending on how the logo is used).

About a year after the team was purchased from the Walt Disney Company by the Samuelis, Brian Burke initiated a name change dropping the "Mighty", after consultation with the fans showed that the typical fan had a willingness to update the "Mighty Ducks" name and jersey and also a desire to keep part of the traditions of the franchise. Burke sought inspiration for the jersey from the United States Military Academy, ending up with diagonal gold, white, black and orange stripes down the arms and waist with the word "Ducks" on the front. The jersey is similar to the team's most recent third jersey prior to the name change. The orange pays tribute to Orange County, where Anaheim is located.

The Ducks are not the first team from Southern California to win a title in the same year as a major uniform change. The Anaheim Angels won the 2002 World Series the same year that they changed to their current red-and-white uniforms.

For the 2007–08 NHL season, the Ducks, like all NHL teams, changed over to new Rbk Edge jerseys. The new team jersey shows only minor modifications from 2006–07, including a small NHL crest just below the neck. There are no third jerseys for this season.

The third jerseys of the Mighty Ducks were created in 1995, 1997, and 2003. The 1995 jersey was jade with eggplant and white stripes on the collar and on the end of the sleeves. The logo was of team mascot Wildwing wearing a Mighty Ducks jersey while breaking through a sheet of ice. The jersey was short-lived; because of much criticism, it was retired at the end of the year.

The 1997 third jersey came with a rare fourth jersey partner. The third was a jade-colored jersey with silver and eggplant stripes at the shoulders outlined in thin yellow, and a silver stripe at the bottom. It had the Mighty Ducks logo in the center of the chest. The fourth jersey was much like it. It was white with jade, eggplant, and silver stripes at the shoulders of the jersey, but no bottom stripe. These jerseys saw action until the end of 1999–2000, when they stopped playing with their third jerseys, and used only the fourth. At the end of 2000–01, the fourth was also retired.

The 2003 third jersey was black with purple and gray stripes at the waist and on the sleeves. It had the alternate script logo of the present Mighty Ducks and old-style laces at the neck, as well as a shoulder patch displaying an interlocking "MD" (for "Mighty Ducks"). The popularity of this jersey amongst fans was so great it replaced the eggplant and jade jersey, serving as the home jersey for the last half of the 2005–06 season and playoffs. It was dropped following the season as the team went to a modified name, new uniforms, and color scheme; however, this popular jersey influenced the design of the new jerseys for 2006-07. It was the only time in the modern NHL days when a mainly black jersey was not worn with black pants, they were purple.

The official mascot for the Anaheim Ducks is an anthropomorphized duck by the name of Wild Wing. He has been the team's mascot since its inaugural season, and his name was chosen through fan voting. He wears a Ducks jersey with the number 93 on the back, referring to the year the Ducks became an NHL team.

He regularly descends from the rafters of the arena when making his in-game entrances. In one such descent the rigging that lowered Wild Wing from the rafters malfunctioned leaving the mascot trapped fifty feet above the ice for several minutes. Another well known blunder occurred in October 1995 when Wild Wing, attempting to jump through a "wall of fire", accidentally tripped causing the mascot to land on the fire and set his costume ablaze.

His physical appearance is similar to the duck mask in the original Mighty Ducks logo. A bronze statue of Wild Wing is also located outside the team's arena (Located at the West side of the South Doors), Honda Center.

The mascot's name was also used for the leader of the Ducks, Wildwing Flashblade, in Disney's Mighty Ducks cartoon series.

During the same time in which the team announced a name change as well as change in jersey designs, there was an attempt by the team's owners to change or replace the mascot, Wild Wing, but was halted after a highly successful petition by fans.

This is a partial list of the last five seasons completed by the Ducks. For the full season-by-season history, see List of Anaheim Ducks seasons.

Updated March 15, 2009.

These are the top-ten point-scorers in franchise history. Figures are updated after each completed NHL regular season.

To the top

Dustin Penner

Dustin Penner2007.jpg

Dustin Penner (born September 28, 1982 in Winkler, Manitoba) is a Canadian professional ice hockey forward currently playing for the Edmonton Oilers of the National Hockey League (NHL). Penner was never drafted; he was discovered and signed as a free agent by the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim after playing college hockey for the University of Maine in the NCAA. Penner won the Stanley Cup in his rookie season with the Anaheim Ducks in 2007 Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Growing up in Winkler, Manitoba, Penner played on his high school team, the Garden Valley Zodiacs. Pursuing hockey beyond his high school, he was, however cut by many minor hockey teams, including his local junior club three times. With little hope of ever playing hockey professionally, his cousin Darryl called him and offered him an opportunity to play at Minot State University-Bottineau, a NJCAA team.

Penner agreed to play with Minot State, but immediately broke his femur, ending his his first year with the club. The next year, in the 2001-02 season, he became a very important player for the club, scoring 20 goals with 13 assists in 23 games, also earning the Most Determined Player Award for his improvement and stellar play after recovering from his injury.

Penner then went to an evaluation camp at Saskatoon. He played well there, scoring an average of three points per game. There he was spotted by Grant Stanbrook, the assistant coach for the University of Maine. Penner was offered a scholarship, which he accepted. Although he did not inititally join the team that year, in 2003–04, he helped lead the Black Bears and to the NCAA Championship game, scoring the game winning goal in the semifinals against Boston College. Maine then lost the championship title game to the University of Denver 1-0.

After losing the NCAA championship game with Maine, Penner was approached by David McNab, the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim’s assistant general manager. Undrafted, he was signed as a free agent by the Mighty Ducks on May 12, 2004. He was assigned to the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks, Anaheim's American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate. He recorded 28 points in his professionl rookie season with Cincinnati, then took a major step the next season as he was moved to the Portland Pirates, who became the Mighty Ducks' AHL affiliate in 2005–06. He scored 39 goals and 84 points in 57 games with Portland while also making his NHL debut, appearing in 19 games with the Mighty Ducks that season. He was originally called up on November 23, 2005, being sent back and forth from the minors. Penner shone in the Mighty Ducks' 2006 playoff run, scoring 9 points in 13 games until Anaheim was eliminated by the Edmonton Oilers in the Western Conference Finals.

Penner earned a full-time roster spot with the Ducks in 2006–07 and broke out with 29 goals and 45 points playing with Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry on a unit dubbed the "Kid Line". His goals total was second most on the team, only trailing superstar Teemu Selänne who scored 48. During the Ducks' 2007 Stanley Cup run, Penner scored the game-winner in Game 1 of the Western Conference Quarterfinals against the Minnesota Wild and Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals against the Ottawa Senators. In Game 5, Penner and the Ducks defeated the Senators 6-2 to win the Stanley Cup. Penner became the first former Maine Black Bear to win the Stanley Cup as a player.

After winning the Stanley Cup with the Ducks, Penner became a restricted free agent in the off-season. With the Ducks dealing with salary cap issues, Penner remained unsigned. General manager Kevin Lowe of the Edmonton Oilers jumped on the opportunity and signed Penner to a five-year, $21.25 million offer sheet. Lowe was criticized by the media and specifically Ducks general manager Brian Burke for the contract as being grossly inflated. After seven days, the Ducks were unwilling to match the offer and Penner became an Oiler.

In his first season with the Oilers, Penner scored a team-high 23 goals and improved to 47 points. Penner began the 2008–09 season with a slow start and was publicly criticized by head coach Craig MacTavish for a lack of fitness and competitiveness after being made a healthy scratch for the second consecutive game.

Dustin Penner is known for his ability to hold on to the puck for long periods of time and maneuver his way around and behind the net with his big size. He is often described as a big man who plays a small mans game.

To the top

Source : Wikipedia