3.4139941690821 (1715)
Posted by pompos 04/20/2009 @ 18:20

Tags : cartier, jewelry, fashion, entertainment

News headlines
Macdonald-Cartier Bridge/Revisions: Sidewalk Closure-June 19-22 ... - (press release)
Public Works and Government Services Canada wishes to advise all motorists, pedestrians and cyclists that the southbound lane directly adjacent to the sidewalk of the Macdonald-Cartier Bridge will be closed from 9:00 am to 3:30 pm on Monday, June 22....
The Honoré-Mercier Bridge marks 75th Anniversary - Canada NewsWire (press release)
A major phase in the bridge's repair begins on the anniversary date LONGUEUIL, QC, June 22 /CNW Telbec/ - The Jacques Cartier and Champlain Bridges Incorporated (JCCBI) and the Ministère des Transports du Québec (MTQ) are marking the 75th Anniversary...
A picture worth a thousand words - China Daily
... shows the French actress and jury leader of the 62nd Cannes film festival caught on film by about 100 leading international photographers, including Henri Cartier-Bresson, Willy Ronis, Nan Goldin, Juergen Teller and Helmut Newton....
HL:Today in History - June 28 - July 4, 2009@ - Product Design & Development
By The Canadian Press@ On this date 475 years ago, in 1534, French explorer Jacques Cartier reached Prince Edward Island during his first voyage to Canada. He described it as "the best-tempered region one can possibly see, and the heat is considerable....
Katie's in polo position - The Sun
Last year she was banned from the Cartier International because organisers deemed her as "too chavvy" to attend the highlight of the polo season. But after being named as the patron of the upcoming event, which will see British and Argentinean teams...
Lanktree sets two marks - Sudbury Star
A successful event was capped off with some impressive results from the five participating high schools: Lo-Ellen Park, ES MacDonald-Cartier, St. Charles College, and Marymount Academy each with one crew of eight, and Lockerby Composite School with...
'What am I?' - Ludington Daily News
The Ludington City Planning Commission is responsible for recently putting out signs scattered along the main loop of Cartier Park's paved pathway. Meant to educate and intrigue people who pass by, the signs all have enlarged pictures of tracks made by...
Apple and Cartier Resolve Legal Tussle Over iPhone App - PC World
Apple removed two iPhone applications from its App Store that allegedly infringed on the trademark of Cartier International, according to the Wall Street Journal. The move came just one day after the French jeweler and watchmaker filed the suit against...
Owlets on The Wing in Downtown Santa Cruz -
By Curtis Cartier Fri, Jun 19, 2009 A juvenile barn owl takes a look around its downtown Santa Cruz neighborhood. (Curtis Cartier) It's late dusk, about an hour after sundown. That's when the first hissing screeches begin to sound in the treetops....

Cartier SA

Cartier's New York landmark location on 5th Avenue

Cartiers SA is a French jeweller and watch manufacturer that is a subsidiary of Compagnie Financière Richemont SA. The corporation carries the name of the Cartier family of jewelers whose control ended in 1964 and who were known for numerous pieces including the "Bestiary" (best illustrated by the Panthère brooch of the 1940s created for Wallis Simpson), the diamond necklace created for Yadavindra Singh the Maharaja of Patiala and in 1904 the first practical wristwatch, the "Santos." Cartier SA is headquartered in Paris.

The company has a long and distinguished history of serving royalty, as well as stars and celebities. One Prince of Wales hailed Cartier as "Joaillier des Rois, Roi des Joailliers" (Jeweller to Kings, King of Jewellers"). Cartier received an order for 27 tiaras for the coronation of the future King. King Edward VII was crowned in 1902 and in 1904 he honoured the Company with the Royal warrant of supplier to the Royal Court of England. Similar warrants soon followed from the courts of Spain, Portugal, Russia, Siam, Greece, Serbia, Belgium, Romania, Egypt and finally Albania, and also from the House of Orleans and the Principality of Monaco.

Cartier is at present the no. 1 seller of luxury jewellery in the world, and the no. 2 seller of luxury watches (after Rolex).

Cartier was founded in Paris in 1847 by Louis-François Cartier when he took over the workshop of his master. In 1874, his son Alfred Cartier took over the administration of the company, but it was Alfred's sons Louis, Pierre and Jacques, who were responsible for establishing the world-wide brand name of Cartier.

In 1904, the Brazilian aviator, Alberto Santos-Dumont complained of the unreliability and impracticality of using pocket watches while flying to his friend Louis Cartier. Cartier rose to the challenge, designing a flat wristwatch with a distinctive square bezel. This watch was not only a hit with Santos-Dumont, but also with Cartier's many clients. Thus, out of this timeless design, the "Santos" was born. This was the first men's wristwatch (Patek Phillipe made the first wristwatch, but for a woman and as a one-off).

Louis retained responsibility for the Paris branch, moving to the Rue de la Paix, in 1899. He was responsible for some of the company's most celebrated designs, like the mystery clocks (a type of clock with a transparent dial and so named because their works are hidden), fashionable wristwatches and exotic orientalist Art Deco designs, including the colorful "Tutti Frutti" jewels.

In 1907, Cartier signed a contract with Edmond Jaeger, who agreed to exclusively supply the movements for Cartier watches. By this time, Cartier had branches in London, New York and St. Petersburg and was quickly becoming one of the most successful watch companies in the world. The introduction of the Baignoire and Tortue models (both of which are still in production today) took place in 1912, followed by the Tank model's debut in 1917. In 1932, they manufactured a watertight watch made especially for the Pasha of Marrakesh.

In 1917, inspired by the newly introduced war machines on the Western Front, Louis Cartier designed the most notable Cartier watch, the Cartier Tank watch. This line too has survived, with over thirty varieties now being made.

In the early 1920s Cartier formed a joint company with Edward Jaeger (of Jaeger-LeCoultre) to produce movements solely for Cartier. Thus was the European watch & clock company born, although Cartier continued to use movements from other great makers. Cartier watches can be found with movements from Vacheron Constantin, Audemars-Piguet, Movado and LeCoultre. It was also during this period that Cartier began adding its own reference numbers to the watches it sold, usually by stamping a four-digit code on the underside of a lug. In fact, many collectors refuse to accept a Cartier as original, unless these numbers are present.

Jacques took charge of the London operation and eventually moved to the current address at New Bond Street.

Pierre Cartier established the New York City branch in 1909, moving in 1917 to the current location of 653 Fifth Avenue, the Neo-Renaissance mansion of Morton Freeman Plant (son of railroad tycoon Henry B. Plant) and designed by architect C.P.H. Gilbert. Cartier acquired the mansion from the Plants in exchange for $100 in cash and a double-stranded natural pearl necklace valued at the time at $1 million.

Among the Cartier team was Charles Jacqueau, who joined Louis Cartier in 1909 for his entire life, and Jeanne Toussaint, who was Director of Fine Jewelry from 1933 on.

After the death of Pierre in 1964, Jean-Jacques Cartier (Jacques's son), Claude Cartier (Louis's son), and Marionne Claudelle (Pierre's daughter) — who respectively headed the Cartier affiliates in London, New York and Paris — sold the businesses.

In 1972 a group of investors led by Joseph Kanoui bought Cartier Paris. President Robert Hocq, the creator of the concept of "Les Must de Cartier" (a staff member is said to have said "Cartier, It's a must!" meaning something one simply must have) in collaboration with Alain Dominique Perrin, General Director, began introducing new products representative of the status and quality of the Cartier of the past. In 1974 and 1976 respectively, Cartier London and Cartier New York were bought back. In 1979 the Cartier interests were combined together, creating "Cartier Monde" uniting and controlling Cartier Paris, London and New York.

To the top

Louis Cartier

Louis Cartier (1875–1942) was a famous French watchmaker and businessman known worldwide for his elegant and extravagant designs in watches. A son of Alfred Cartier, he was passionate about mechanical pocket watches and had the goal of creating his own line of timepieces. Although Patek Phillipe created the first wristwatch in 1868, Louis Cartier is responsible for helping to popularize it over the traditional pocket watch. The most important steps in Cartier's family business were made by several generations: Louis Francois Cartier, his son Alfred Cartier and three grandsons, Pierre, Jacque and Louis Francois.

In 1904, his Brazilian friend Alberto Santos-Dumont, an early pioneer of aviation, asked Cartier to design a watch that could be useful during his flights. Since pocket watches were not suitable, Louis Cartier created the Santos wristwatch, which was also the first wristwatch made for men. Santos first went on sale in 1911. Thus, Cartier established his first production of wristwatches. In Rue de la Paix he designed timepieces with the help of Edmond Jaeger who agreed to supply Cartier's watch line with movements.

When Alfred Cartier, a son of a goldsmith, started managing the production of jewelry, his three sons, Pierre, Jacques and Louis Francois Cartier were the ones to help the family business expand. They eventually turned the Cartier brand into the most known name in the world of jewelry and watchmaking.

Louis Francois, who t In 1910 the Cartier family opened two new stores, in Moscow and the [[th the opening of new shops in Hong Kong, Munich and Geneva.

In 1912 Cartier introduced the Baignoire and Tortue, which are two models still in production today. 1917 saw the debut of the Tank.

It was also during this period that Cartier began adding its own reference numbers to the watches it sold, usually by stamping a four-digit code on the underside of a lug. In fact, many collectors refuse to accept a Cartier as an original unless these numbers are present.

Louis Cartier died in 1942. In 1945 his brother Pierre took over the family business and became the president of Cartier International. Later Cartier International turned into a huge multinational organization. In 1972 its president, Robert Hocq, took over the branches of Cartier in London and New York, and re-established the prestige of Cartier. Today Cartier watches have the movements of such famous Swiss watchmaking companies as: Vacheron Constantin, Audemars Piguet, Movado and Le Coultre.

To the top

Rural Municipality of Cartier

Rural Municipality of Cartier is part of the Central Plains Region in the province of Manitoba, Canada. It is named after Sir George-Étienne Cartier who was a leader in bringing Quebec into Confederation.

It was part of a larger municipality, St. François Xavier, until 1914.

The municipality is bordered on the west by the R.M of Portage la Prairie, to the east by the R.M of Headingley and to the North by the Assiniboine River. It is mainly flat rich farmland and its main town is Elie, Manitoba.

To the top

Jacques Cartier Bridge

Jacques Cartier Bridge

The Jacques Cartier Bridge (French: pont Jacques-Cartier) is a steel truss cantilever bridge crossing the Saint Lawrence River from Montreal Island, Montreal, Quebec to the south shore at Longueuil, Quebec, Canada. The bridge crosses Île Sainte-Hélène in the centre of the river, where offramps allow access to the Parc Jean-Drapeau and La Ronde amusement park.

Originally named the Montreal Harbour Bridge (pont du Havre), it was renamed in 1934 to commemorate the 400th anniversary of Jacques Cartier's first voyage up the St. Lawrence River.

The five-lane highway bridge is 3,400 m (11,236 ft) in length, including the approach viaducts. There are approximately 35.4 million vehicle crossings annually, making it the second busiest bridge in Canada, the first being Champlain Bridge, just a few kilometres upstream.

Together with Champlain Bridge, it is administered by the Jacques Cartier and Champlain Bridges Incorporated (JCCBI), a federal agency which is a fully owned subsidiary of the Federal Bridge Corporation Limited.

Discussions began as early as 1874 about the construction of a new bridge to alleviate the congestion on Victoria Bridge, which was then a rail-only bridge, the wintertime ice bridge and the ferries used to connect the city to its south shore. The decision to build the bridge was made official in 1924.

The bridge follows the general design concept of the Quebec Bridge. It was, in turn, one of the design influences for the Story Bridge, in Brisbane, Australia, which was completed in 1940. Construction was undertaken by the Dominion Bridge Company starting in 1925 and completed in 1930. It was opened to traffic on May 14th.

The bridge was originally designed as a road, tramway, and pedestrian bridge, but tramway tracks were never installed. A parallel empty space used to be to the right of the roadway in each direction, through which the bridge's girders could be seen. The two sidewalks were outside the bridge proper. The spaces for the tramway tracks were converted to roadways in 1956 and 1959, adding an extra lane of traffic in each direction.

During the construction seasons of 1957 and 1958, the span over the east channel of the river (the Warren truss) was raised an additional 80 feet (to 120 feet). Traffic flow over the bridge was uninterrupted by this construction, through the installation of two Bailey bridges.

There used to be a toll plaza on the south shore as the Jacques Cartier Bridge and the Victoria Bridge, upstream, were both toll bridges until 1962. Tokens were issued.

During 2001 and 2002 the entire deck of the bridge was replaced. The sidewalks were also widened to a width of 8-foot (2.4 m), and the sidewalk on the western side of the bridge was made a bike path, and part of the the Route verte (Green path) bike path network.

In 2004, a suicide prevention barrier was installed. Until then the bridge saw an average of 10 suicides a year.

There are four 3-metre high Eiffel Tower replicas at the four high-points of the bridge.

During the summer season, the bridge is regularly completely closed to vehicular traffic for the fireworks competition held at La Ronde. It becomes foot traffic only, sometimes drawing crowds of 50,000+. The competition generally runs for about six weeks, from late June to the end of July. Events are held on Wednesday and Saturday nights, commencing just before 10:00 PM. Bridge traffic is closed as of 8:00 PM, and is re-opened when the bridge is cleared of pedestrians (usually between 11:00-11:30 PM).

The Jacques-Cartier Bridge is also closed to vehicular traffic for the Oasis Montreal Marathon which takes start on the bridge every year in early September.

Recently, this bridge has been shut down several times due to several protesters who have individually climbed on the superstructure of the bridge or on a sign in the Longueuil side of the bridge. Two of them were from the Fathers for Justice militant group, while a third claimed he was part of the group. Recently, a man wearing a Canadian flag climbed the structure of the bridge. Most of the protests led to massive traffic congestions during rush hour.

To the top

Source : Wikipedia