Chris Webber

3.4614760746221 (1233)
Posted by pompos 03/27/2009 @ 17:07

Tags : chris webber, basketball players, basketball, sports

News headlines
Thunder has shot at Griffin -
There was a power forward named Chris Webber who declared following his sophomore season. He was the consensus No. 1 pick out of Michigan and went first overall to the Orlando Magic. A point guard prodigy named Anfernee "Penny” Hardaway was also...
How Chris Webber Buried the Kings...Again - Bleacher Report
The blame can all fall on the shoulders of one man: Chris Webber. That's right, Chris Webber has done it again! Webber, you say? How could he have affected this? Following basic logic, the answer becomes clear. Last night at the lottery, each team sent...
The Q, with TNT NBA analyst Kenny Smith - The Plain Dealer -
Q: Were you surprised how easily Chris Webber blended in to your studio? A: It is difficult to join what we do and he came in seamlessly. We have dominating personalities. A: It comes from an expanded Kenny's pics. I used the touch screen on NBA TV...
A Lottery letdown for Kings - Sacramento Bee
Meanwhile at the scene in Secaucus, NJ, former Kings forward and team representative Chris Webber said he was as disappointed as the rest that the ping pong balls didn't fall the Kings' way. "I was very nervous," he said by phone....
Susan Boyle falters, clutches stomach and sings on - CNET News
The first notes of "Memories" from the musical "Cats" weren't notes that Andrew Lloyd Webber had put there. But a stoicism built from the bricks of a thousand days of damp, dark Scottish existence and a life experience of being bullied,...
What bettors need to know: Cavaliers at Magic - Covers
So nothing gets older than hearing Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith and Chris Webber on TNT continually harp on matchups being the deciding factor in playoff series. Cleveland still is favored to reach the NBA Finals, but the Magic give the Cavs fits....
Christie has deep conservative values -
Chris Smith, R-Hamilton, and former Jersey City Mayor Bret Schundler. And it's that belief that should earn the support of values voters throughout our great Garden State. Jay Webber, a Republican from Morris Plains, represents the 26th District in the...
Noted lawyer joins team fighting Attalla drug charges - Crain's Detroit Business
In 2003, he represented former University of Michigan basketball star Chris Webber against charges he lied to a federal grand jury in 2000. Webber pleaded guilty to a lesser charge before trial and avoided jail. In 2007, Fishman was a defense attorney...
Weber, Davis Lead Durham Past Lehigh Valley 6-2 - OurSports Central (press release)
Weber's homer, his second three-run blast in as many days (his fourth), gave Durham a 6-1 advantage. It scored Chris Nowak and Alex Jamieson, who had singled and walked to start the inning. With a 6-1 lead, Lehigh Valley scored once and loaded the...
We Reminisce Over CHRIS - SLAM Online
with Chris Webber admittedly pales in comparison to the birth of a child, or of basketball lore being etched in front of your eyes. Its effect on me, 15 years after the fact, is as evident and thanks to CWebb's broadcast success is as relevant to me...

Chris Webber

Webber headshot.jpg

Mayce Edward Christopher Webber, III (born March 1, 1973, in Detroit, Michigan), better known as Chris Webber and nicknamed C-Webb, is a retired American professional basketball player. He is a five-time NBA All-Star, a former All-NBA First Teamer, a former NBA Rookie of the Year, and a former #1 overall NBA Draftee. As a collegian, he was an NCAA Men's Basketball first team All-American and led the University of Michigan Wolverines' 1991 incoming freshman class known as the Fab Five that reached the 1992 & 1993 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship games as freshmen and sophomores. However, Webber was indicted by a federal grand jury, and stripped of his All-American honors by the NCAA, as a result of his direct involvement in the Ed Martin scandal. He is also a former National High School Basketball Player of the Year who led his high school to three Michigan State High School Basketball Championships.

Chris Webber prepped at Detroit Country Day School and at the time was the most recruited Michigan basketball player since Magic Johnson. Chris led Country Day to three MHSAA State championships. As a senior in high school Webber averaged 29.4 points and 13 rebounds per game. He was named Michigan's Mr. Basketball and the 1990-1991 National High School player of the year.

After graduating from Detroit Country Day School, Webber attended the University of Michigan for two years. While a Michigan Wolverine, Webber led the group of players known as the Fab Five, which included himself, Juwan Howard, Jalen Rose, Jimmy King, and Ray Jackson. This group, all of whom entered Michigan as freshmen in the fall of 1991, took the basketball team to the NCAA finals twice, losing both times. The Fab Five, sporting long, baggy shorts and black shoes, became immensely popular as they were seen as bringing a hip hop flavor to the game. Four of the Fab Five (Webber, Rose, Howard, and King) made it to the NBA.

On April 5, 1993, at Michigan's second consecutive NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship game, Webber infamously called a time-out with 11 seconds left in the game when his team, down 73-71, did not have any remaining, resulting in a technical foul that effectively clinched the game for North Carolina. The game marked the end of Webber's acclaimed two year collegiate basketball career. In his second season, he was a first team All-American selection and a finalist for the John R. Wooden Award and Naismith College Player of the Year. These awards and honors have been vacated due to University of Michigan and NCAA sanctions related to the University of Michigan basketball scandal.

Chris Webber was selected by the Orlando Magic with the first pick of the 1993 NBA Draft, becoming the first sophomore since Magic Johnson to be a #1 overall draft pick. The Magic immediately traded him to the Golden State Warriors in exchange for Anfernee Hardaway and three future first round draft picks.

Webber had an outstanding first year, averaging 17.5 points and 9.1 rebounds per game and winning the NBA Rookie of the Year Award. He was instrumental in leading the Warriors back into the playoffs. However, he had a long-standing conflict with his coach, Don Nelson. Nelson wanted to make Webber primarily a post player, despite Webber's superb passing ability and good ball handling skills for someone his size at 6'10" (2.08 m) tall. Webber also disliked playing a substantial amount of time at center, given Nelson's propensity towards smaller, faster line ups. In the 1994 off-season, the Warriors acquired Rony Seikaly so that Webber could play primarily at power forward. However, at the time, the differences between Webber and Nelson were considered to be irreconcilable. Webber exercised a one-year escape clause in his contract, stating he had no intentions of returning to the Warriors. With little alternatives, Golden State agreed to a sign and trade deal, sending Chris Webber to the Washington Bullets (now the Wizards) for forward Tom Gugliotta and three first round draft picks.

Webber was traded in his second year to the Washington Bullets, where he was reunited with his college teammate and friend, Juwan Howard. He spent the next three years with the Bullets (later renamed the Washington Wizards), although in the 1995-96 season injuries limited him to only 15 games. Webber rebounded the following year and was named to his first All-Star team in 1997. The same season, Webber led the Bullets into the playoffs for the first time in nine years, but they were swept by the Michael Jordan-led Chicago Bulls. By 1998, Webber had established himself as a great power forward, but his time in Washington had also worn out.

On May 14, 1998, Webber was traded to the Sacramento Kings for Mitch Richmond and Otis Thorpe. Webber originally did not want to go to Sacramento, as they were a perennially losing team.

When Webber arrived, the Kings also signed small forward Peja Stojakovic, center Vlade Divac and drafted point guard Jason Williams. In his first year with the Kings (the lockout-shortened 1998-99 season), Webber won the rebounding title averaging a league high 13.0 rebounds per game. The surprising Kings team made the playoffs, almost upsetting the veteran Utah Jazz. In years to come, Webber and the Kings became arguably the most exciting team in the league, and NBA title contenders. He was named to the All-Star team again in 2000 and 2001 while cementing his status as one of the premier power forwards in the NBA. Webber peaked in the 2000-01 season where he averaged a career-high 27.1 points. He also averaged 11.1 rebounds and was 4th in MVP voting. Webber was an All-NBA player five years in a row as a Sacramento King (1999-2003), making the 1st team in 2001 for the only time in his career.

On July 27, 2001 Webber signed a $127 million, seven-year contract with the Kings. In the 2001–02 NBA season, Webber led the Kings to a franchise record 61-21. He also made his fourth All-Star team and they made it to the Western Conference Finals, against the defending champion Los Angeles Lakers. The Kings led the series 3-2 but eventually lost in 7 games.

The next season, Webber put up another superb year, averaging 23 points and 11 rebounds per game. He was cited as a possible MVP candidate, and made his fifth consecutive All-Star team. In a bad sign of what was to come, Webber missed the All Star game with an injured knee. Nevertheless, he returned and the Kings were among the favorites to win the NBA Championship.

In the second game of the 2003 Western Conference Semifinals against the Dallas Mavericks, Webber suffered a career-threatening knee injury while running down the lane untouched that forced him to miss nearly a year of action. After microfracture surgery, he returned for the final 25 games of the 2003-04 season, but his athleticism, agility, and mobility were never the same.

On February 6, 2009 Webber returned to Arco Arena, home of the Sacramento Kings to participate in the ceremonies surrounding the retirement of his jersey, #4.

In February 2005, Webber, along with Michael Bradley and Matt Barnes, were traded to the Philadelphia 76ers for power forward Kenny Thomas, forward/center Brian Skinner, and former King Corliss Williamson. Webber took some time to fit in with the 76ers offense, where he was the second scoring option, behind Allen Iverson. He eventually helped catapult the Sixers to a berth in the 2005 playoffs, where the Sixers lost to the Detroit Pistons. However, they did not reach the playoffs in 2006, despite Webber putting up a resurgent 20 points and 10 rebounds per game. Because of the microfracture surgery on his knee, Webber lost his lateral quickness and jumping ability. While he still possessed offensive skills, he was seen as a defensive liability and was usually benched for the 4th quarters. This caused Webber to reportedly call for a trade.

On Tuesday, April 18, 2006, Webber and Iverson were fined for not showing up at the Philadelphia 76ers final home game of the season, which was Fan Appreciation Night, although both of them were injured and not expected to play. The following day they both apologized for being absent.

During the 2006–07 season Webber only played 18 of 35 games for the Sixers leading the media to question his motivation. On January 11, 2007 Sixers GM Billy King announced that the Sixers and Webber had agreed to a reported $25 million contract buyout on the remaining two years left on his contract, in effect paying him not to play. Later that day, the Sixers waived Webber, making him a free agent.

On January 16, 2007, Chris Webber signed with the Detroit Pistons. He has stated throughout his career that he always wanted to play for the Pistons. His usual number 4 had been retired in honor of Joe Dumars, so Webber donned the number 84, because his nephew had a dream of him making a buzzer beater with that number on. The Pistons were a much improved basketball team after Webber's acquisition, improving their record in the Eastern Conference and solidifying the first seed in the East. However, the Eastern Conference favorites failed to advance to the finals after losing to the Cleveland Cavaliers in six games in the Eastern Conference Finals, leaving Chris Webber short of an NBA Finals appearance yet again. Indeed, Webber performed well in the 2007 NBA Playoffs despite receiving limited minutes. Webber still managed to average 10 points and 6 rebounds per game in the playoffs and shot an impressive 52.4% from the field. His efforts were highlighted by a game 5 performance in the Eastern Conference Finals in which Webber scored 20 points (including 5 points in the double overtime period) on 9 of 13 shooting and grabbed 7 boards. Nevertheless, Detroit still lost what turned out to be the key game in the series in double overtime and Webber ended up averaging a career low 11.2 PPG in his run with the Pistons. During the off season, Detroit did not resign Webber, and he was in free agency at the beginning of the regular season, despite receiving lucrative proposals from teams in Europe.

On January 29, 2008, the Golden State Warriors signed Webber for the rest of the season. Terms of the deal were not disclosed, but the San Francisco Chronicle reported that he will receive the pro-rated veteran's minimum of $1.2 million (approximately $570,000). This comes after a rejected offer by the Los Angeles Lakers who were trying to coax Webber in with two, 10-day contracts so they could decide afterwards if they wanted him the rest of the season. This has also put to rest talks of joining the Detroit Pistons, Dallas Mavericks, or retirement. He played in only nine games for the Warriors, averaging 3.9 points and 3.6 rebounds in 14 minutes per game.

On March 25, 2008, Webber officially retired from basketball due to persistent problems with his surgically repaired knee and was waived by the Warriors. On March 27, 2008, Webber made his first appearance on television on Inside the NBA on TNT, alongside Charles Barkley and host Ernie Johnson. April 25, 2008, TNT offered Webber a job to be a commentator for the post season.

In 1998, Webber was arrested and charged with second-degree assault, resisting arrest, possession of marijuana, driving under the influence of marijuana and five other traffic-related violations after being pulled over for speeding on the way to the practice center at the MCI Center in downtown Washington, D.C. Webber was eventually acquitted by a jury of the assault, resisting arrest, possession of marijuana and driving under the influence charges, and paid $560 in fines for lesser violations.

Later in 1998 during the off-season, while leaving Puerto Rico on a promotional tour for Fila sneakers, Webber paid a $500 fine after U.S. Customs found marijuana in his bag. Soon after Fila dropped Webber as an endorser. Webber sued Fila for wrongful dismissal, but the case was thrown out of court.

In 2002, Webber was charged for lying to a grand jury as part of a larger investigation of a numbers gambling operation, run by Ed Martin, a booster of the University of Michigan basketball program, in Ford Motor Company plants in the Detroit area. The investigation, originally focused on the numbers operation and tax evasion, soon widened to include the University of Michigan basketball program. Martin was convicted on counts of tax evasion and robbery and was scheduled to testify on the financial connections between himself and Webber at a sentencing hearing, but died of a heart attack before the hearing.

As a result of evidence admitted during the course of Martin's trial, Webber pled guilty to one count of criminal contempt for lying about his role in a scandal in which four players, including himself, had accepted illicit loans from Martin. Martin had been giving money to Webber since the 8th grade. He admitted in the plea that in 1994 he gave Martin about $38,000 in cash as partial repayment for expenditures Martin made on his behalf.

Due to concerns that Webber's amateur status had been compromised, Michigan forfeited its victory in the 1992 Final Four over Cincinnati, as well as its runner-up status in the 1992 tourney. Michigan also forfeited the entire 1992-93 season, removed the 1992 and 1993 Final Four banners from the Crisler Arena rafters, and deleted Webber's records from its record book. The NCAA also ordered Michigan to disassociate itself from Webber until 2012. Webber later called Michigan's decision "hurtful" because he and his Fab Five teammates "gave everything to Michigan" while they played there.

After Webber's plea, the Michigan State High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) recommended that Detroit Country Day forfeit all games in which Webber appeared (including three state championships), since according to his own admission, Webber had been accepting money from Martin since junior high school. The school conducted its own investigation, and called a press conference to announce it had found "no credible evidence" that Webber had accepted "substantial" amounts of cash from Martin while in high school, and therefore refused to forfeit any games. The MHSAA claimed it had no legal authority to force the games to be forfeited.

Webber was suspended by the NBA for a total of eight games—five for an unnamed violation of the league substance abuse policies and three for lying to the grand jury. Webber received the suspensions once he recovered from an injury that kept him out for half of the 2003-04 season.

In spite of his talent, Webber never led a team to an NBA championship. The closest he came to a title was in 2002, when the Lakers defeated the Kings in the Western Conference Finals in seven games. Injury plagued and seemingly always on the wrong side of luck, Webber has been considered by some to be "cursed," and his inability to win the big games was prevalent since his final game at Michigan.

However, Webber always put up big numbers (he averaged 20.7 points, 9.8 rebounds, and 4.2 assists for his whole career.) and will likely be a candidate for the Hall of Fame. Webber's soft hands and natural court sense made him one of the most prolific big-man passers in NBA history. The Golden State Warriors did not make the playoffs during the first 12 years after they traded Webber. In 1997, he led Washington to their first playoff appearance since 1989. They would not reach the playoffs again until 2005, seven years after trading Webber. Prior to Webber's arrival in 1998, the Kings made the playoffs only twice (1985 and 1996) since they moved to Sacramento from Kansas City in 1985.

Webber was ranked #64 in SLAM Magazine's Top 75 NBA Players of all time in 2003.

Webber was ranked #11 in an experts poll of the top power forwards of all time in 2008.

The Sacramento Kings retired Webber's Number 4 jersey on February 6, 2009 when the Kings hosted the Utah Jazz.

Since retiring from the NBA, Webber has become an analyst on NBA TV's Tuesday Fan Night alongside Ahmad Rashad and Gary Payton. He also continues to serve as an occasional guest analyst on TNT's Inside the NBA for the 2008-2009 season. With Charles Barkley's recent leave of absence, Webber has consistently substituted for him along with other guests such as Payton and Mike Fratello. Webber has also expressed interests in eventually becoming a GM and owner.

Webber has also stated he is working on a book. Outside of basketball, Webber has been active in his investment company representing basketball and football players, real estate, and film projects.

In 2002, he made a cameo in the basketball comedy Like Mike with many other NBA stars.

Chris Webber has a personal collection of African American artifacts which he began collecting in 1994. As soon as he entered the NBA, he started researching on how to collect artifacts. He began by contacting a broker in Washington and purchasing two slave records. Webber believes that these artifacts are a reflection of his beliefs and aspirations. He initially collected them as encouragements to face life obstacles. However, he had no intentions on exhibiting them until the growth of his collection prompted additional storage. His collection includes an original 1901 publication of an autobiography by Booker T. Washington, various documents, letters, and postcards signed by Frederick Douglass, Martin Luther King Jr., and Malcolm X. When not on public exhibit, the artifacts are stored at the Sacramento Public Library's Archival Vault. In previous years the Chris Webber Collection has previously been featured in Crocker Art Museum and Wayne State University. More detailed information can be found on his official website.

Webber is active in various charities and created The Timeout Foundation in 1993. The foundation's mission is to provide positive educational and recreational opportunities to youth.

In 1999, Webber created C-Webb's Crew where a group of tickets at every Kings regular home season game would be donated to at-risk youth and their families. To date, over 3,000 youths and their families have attended a game through C-Webb's Crew.

Community awards Webber has won include the inaugural Sacramento Kings/Oscar Robertson Triple Double Award, which is annually awarded to a Kings player who exemplifies: team leadership, all-around game, and sportsmanship; the NBA Community Assist Award for his contributions in February 2003, and the Wish Maker of the Year in 2003 awarded by the Sacramento Chapter of the Make a Wish Foundation.

More recently, Webber held a celebrity weekend, Bada Bling!, at the Caesars Palace Hotel in Las Vegas. The event was held from July 28, 2006 – July 30, 2006 and included a live auction and celebrity poker tournament. Many renowned NBA players participated including then-current and former teammates: Mike Bibby, Brad Miller, Andre Iguodala, Bobby Jackson, Kyle Korver, and his then-current coach, Maurice Cheeks. Other notable participants included Charles Barkley, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Gary Payton, Kenny Smith, Moses Malone, and Stephon Marbury. Numerous entertainers attended as well such as Nas and Common. All of the proceeds were donated to The Timeout Foundation.

Webber hosted his second annual Bada Bling charity weekend from July 20, 2007 – July 22, 2007 at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas.

Chris Webber also has produced a few hip hop records, more famous for producing two songs for rapper Nas: Blunt Ashes and Surviving The Times.

To the top

Chris Webber (Canadian basketball)

Chris Webber (born December 12, 1972 in London, Ontario, Canada) is a former Canadian professional basketball player, most famous for his career in the British Basketball League.

His career began in 1992-3 with the Carleton University Ravens, where his standout performance won him the Rookie of the Year title for Ontario-East. However, poor performance in class resulted in rustication for Webber and for most of the men's basketball team that year. Webber transferred to his home-town University of Western Ontario for second year and moved back to his parents' home, where he led a more supervised lifestyle that resulted in acceptable academics for the rest of his time at university. A graduate of the University of Western Ontario, Webber featured heavily in the senior basketball team, the Western Ontario Mustangs where he was named in the All-Canadian 1st Team for 1995-96 and 1996-97, and OUAA Conference 1st Team's for 1995-96 and 1996-97.

In October 1998, the 6ft9 forward signed a professional contract with British Basketball League (BBL) outfit Newcastle Eagles, however he was released after just one month at the club and subsequently joined in November Plymouth Raiders to replace Daniel Okonkwo who was in Greece representing Nigeria in the 1998 FIBA World Championship.

Following Okonkwo's return, Webber was then snapped up by BBL franchise Leicester City Riders, making his debut on December 12 at home to London Towers. Having moved on again to Birmingham Bullets and then returned to Newcastle the following season, Webber eventually settled with Edinburgh Rocks in 2000, before ending a two year spell to play for Gymnastikos S. Larissas in Greece. After just one season, Webber returned to the BBL and to former club Leicester, where he saw out one final season.

To the top

Michigan Wolverines men's basketball

1989 team in 2009

The Michigan Wolverines men's basketball team is the intercollegiate men's basketball program representing the University of Michigan. The school competes in the Big Ten Conference in Division I of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The Wolverines play home basketball games at the Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor, Michigan on the university campus. Michigan has won an NCAA Championship—under coach Steve Fisher—as well as two National Invitation Tournaments (NIT) and 12 Big Ten Conference championships. In addition, it has won an NIT tournament and a Big Ten Conference Tournament that were forfeited due to NCAA sanctions. The team is currently coached by John Beilein.

Michigan endured the University of Michigan basketball scandal, that the NCAA described as one of the biggest financial scandal in NCAA history, when Ed Martin loaned Chris Webber, Robert Traylor, Louis Bullock, and Maurice Taylor a total of $616,000. Due to NCAA sanctions, records from the 1992 Final Four, the 1992–93, 1995–96, 1996–97, 1997–98, and 1998–99 seasons have been vacated. This includes a total of 113 victories and 57 losses, of which 50 wins and 36 losses occurred in conference games against Big Ten teams. It also includes the following post season records NCAA: 7–4, NIT: 5–0, and Big Ten Tournament: 4–1. This reflects vacating the 1992 Final Four appearance; 1997 NIT Championship; 1993, 1996, and 1998 NCAA Tournament appearances; and the 1998 Big Ten Tournament championship. Throughout this article asterisks denote awards, records and honors that have been vacated.

Michigan has had twenty-one All-Americans. Four of these have been consensus All-Americans: Cazzie Russell (two-times), Rickey Green, Gary Grant, and Chris Webber*.a Four All-Americans have been at least two-time honorees: Bennie Oosterbaan, Bill Buntin, Russell, and Henry Wilmore.b Russell was a three-time All-American. Michigan basketball players have been successful in professional basketball. Fifty have been drafted into the National Basketball Association (NBA); Twenty of those were first round draft picks, including both Cazzie Russell and Chris Webber who were drafted first overall. The 1990 NBA Draft in which Rumeal Robinson was selected 10th, Loy Vaught was selected 13th, and Terry Mills was selected 16th made Michigan one of three schools that has ever had three players selected as NBA first round draft picks in the same draft. Five players have gone on to become NBA champions and nine have become NBA All-Stars. Rudy Tomjanovich coached both the 1994 and 1995 NBA Finals Champions. Not only has Glen Rice won both an NBA and NCAA championship, but also he is one of only nine basketball players to have won a state high school championship, NCAA title and NBA championship.

As a result of public and alumni demand for a basketball team, Michigan fielded a team of members of the then-current student body and achieved a 1–4 record for the 1908–09 season. However, after three years of demanding a basketball program the student body did not attend the games and the program was terminated due to low attendance. Basketball returned in 1917 in what was considered the inaugural season of varsity basketball. The team was coached by Elmer Mitchell who instituted the intramural sports program at Michigan. The team finished 6–12 overall (0–10, Big Ten). The following year Mitchell led the team to a 16–8 (5–5) record.

Edward Mather coached the team to three Big Nine titles in his nine seasons as coach. After inheriting Mitchell's team, which he led to a 10–13 overall (3–9, Big Ten) record during the 1919–20, he led the team to an 18–4 overall (8–4, Big Ten) record during the 1920–21 season. This 1921 team won its first eight and last eight games to tie the Wisconsin Badgers and Purdue Boilermakers for the Big Nine title. The team won back-to-back championships in 1925–26 and 1926–27. The 1926 squad, which was captained by Richard Doyle who became the team's first All-American, tied with Purdue, the Iowa Hawkeyes and Indiana Hoosiers for the conference championship. The 1927 team had a new All-American, Bennie Oosterbaan, and won the schools first back-to-back championships and first outright championship with a 14–3 overall (10–2, Big Ten) record. Mather suddenly died in 1928.

George Veenker compiled the highest overall and highest Big Ten winning percentages of any coach in school history during his three years as coach. He earned 1st(tied), 3rd and 2nd(tied) finishes during his three seasons, which included the 1928–29 conference championship. During Veenker's first season his team compiled a 13–3 overall (10–2, Big Ten) record to win the conference, and Veenker continues to be the only coach in school history to win a conference championship in his first season. The championship team, which finished tied with Wisconsin, was captained by the schools third All-American Ernie McCoy. Veenker resigned to become the Iowa State Cyclones football head coach.

Franklin Cappon had a long history of association with Michigan athletics starting with his service as a four-time letterman in football and basketball from 1919 to 1923. In 1928, he became assistant football and basketball coach and in 1929 he served as Fielding Yost's assistant Athletic Director. Although the highlight of Cappon's tenure as coach was a 16–4 (9–3) third place 1936–37 Big Ten finish, he coached John Townsend who in his 1937–38 senior season became the last All-American for over a generation (until the arrival of Cazzie Russell). The team finished third in two other seasons with less impressive records (1932–33 10–8 overall (8–4, Big Ten) and 1935–36 15–5 overall (7–5, Big Ten)), and Cappon's overall record was 78–57 overall (44–40, Big Ten). A notable captain during the Cappon era was 1933–34 captain Ted Petoskey, a two-time football All-American end and eventual Major League Baseball player.

In 1938 Michigan coaching duties were assumed by one of its greatest athletes. Bennie Oosterbaan had been an All-American in both football and basketball and held various coaching positions at Michigan in both of those sports as well as baseball. In basketball, he implemented a fast-paced attack as coach, and his teams' best overall record was 13–7 in 1939–40. That season he tied with his final season for his best Big Ten record at 6–6. He resigned after eight seasons to concentrate on his football coaching duties.

Under Ozzie Cowles, during the 1947–48 season, Michigan ended the longest (19 years) consecutive year period without a conference championship in school history. They also became the first contestants in the NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament during Cowles second of two seasons. The 1947–48 team posted a 16–6 overall (10–2, Big Ten) record. This team also posted the first undefeated home performance in school history with a 9–0 overall (6–0, Big Ten) record.

Ernie McCoy became the second former All-American Wolverine player to coach the team. Like Oosterbaan before him, he became a football and baseball coach at Michigan. He also served as assistant Athletic Director under Fritz Crisler. During his four seasons as basketball coach, Michigan's best finish was during the 1948–49 season when they finished 15–6 overall (7–5, Big Ten) and earned a third place Big Ten Conference finish. He coached Michigan's first All-Big Ten basketball players that season in Pete Elliot and captain Bob Harrison who were both selected to the first team. Harrison returned the following season as the first repeat first-team All-Big Ten basketball player and Elliot was a second-team honoree. McCoy served as a football scout at the same time.

Bill Perigo took over the Michigan coaching job after having served three seasons as Western Michigan basketball coach. Despite previous success as a conference basketball champion coach at Western and subsequent success as a Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) champion basketball coach, his Michigan teams endured several mediocre season. His best Big Ten records came in 1956–57 and 1958–59 when his teams compiled 8–6 conference records. The latter team was tied for second in the conference and was 15–7 overall (8–6, Big Ten). It also had Perigo's only first-team All-Big Ten athlete in M. C. Burton. Team captain and two-time football consensus All-American Ron Kramer was third-team All-Big Ten in 1957 after being second-team All-Big Ten in both 1955 and 1956.

Dave Strack, a former team 1945–46 captain, had become the freshman basketball team coach in 1948 and later had become a variety assistant to Perigo. He led the team to three consecutive Big Ten Championships from 1963–66 and a third place finish in the 1964 NCAA tournament. During 1964–65 the team compiled a 24–4 overall (13–1, Big Ten) record while completing an undefeated 11–0 overall (7–0, Big Ten) home season. Strack earned United Press International (UPI) National Coach of the Year honors. The team ended the season listed number one in both the UPI and Associated Press (AP) national rankings. He recruited All-Americans Russell and Buntin to anchor his mid-1960s teams. Tomjanovich also became a Wolverine at the end of Strack's career and became second team All-Big Ten in 1968 subsequent later stardom. The 1964 team, which went 23–5 overall (11–3, Big Ten), tied with Ohio State with sophomore Russell and junior Buntin. In 1965, Buntin became the first Wolverine to be drafted by the NBA. In 1966, Russell led the team to its third straight conference championship and NCAA selection on his way to National Player of the Year honors.

In Johnny Orr's twelve seasons, he twice (1973–74 and 1976–77) earned Big Ten Coach of the Year honors with Big Ten Champions. His teams earned four consecutive NCAA selections from 1974–77. The 25–7 overall (14–4, Big Ten) 1976 team lost to an undefeated Indiana team in the NCAA championship game, and Orr earned National Association of Basketball Coaches Coach of the Year honors that season. The 26–4 overall (16–2, Big Ten) 1977 team finished first in both the AP and UPI national rankings, and Orr won Basketball Weekly National Coach of the Year honors. During Orr's tenure, six players earned a total of seven All-American recognitions, which is the most of any Michigan coach. Steve Grote became Michigan's only three-time first-team Academic All-American from 1975–77 and with a second team All Big Ten as well as three honorable mentions was the first four-time All-Big Ten honoree.

Bill Frieder, who had been an assistant coach for seven years, took over from Orr in 1980. He coached the school's first post-season basketball champions during the 1983–84 season and the following two teams were back-to-back conference champions. The 1983–84 team compiled a 24–9 overall (11–7, Big Ten) record on their way to a NIT championship victory over Notre Dame. The 1984–85 team went 26–4 overall (16–2, Big Ten), which earned Frieder Big Ten and AP national Coach of the Year honors. The 1985–86 team, which finished 28–5 overall (14–4, Big Ten), started the season with sixteen victories to make a total of thirty-three consecutive regular season victories. Frieder earned six consecutive NCAA births. Roy Tarpley led the 1985 team as Big Ten MVP. Frieder resigned, upon request, immediately prior to the 1989 NCAA tournament to assume the coaching job for the Arizona State Sun Devils men's basketball team.

Steve Fisher assumed the coaching position immediately before the 1989 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament from Frieder after having served and led the team to six straight victories and the championship. Fisher also signed the most famous recruiting class known as the Fab Five (Webber, Juwan Howard, Jalen Rose, Jimmy King and Ray Jackson). He would take these players the NCAA championship game as Freshmen and Sophomores. In their sophomore 1992–93 season they compiled a 31–5 overall (15–3, Big Ten) record, which has since been forfeited. Fisher also won the 1997 NIT tournament with a team that compiled a 25–9 overall (11–5) record. Many of Fisher's accomplishments were tarnished by NCAA sanctions. He left the job due to the University of Michigan basketball scandal.

Brian Ellerbe assumed the title of interim coach less than five months after becoming an assistant coach. He was named full-time coach following the 25–9 (11–5) 1997–98 season in which he led the team to victories over Iowa, Minnesota and Purdue to capture the Big Ten Conference Men's Basketball Tournament championship. His subsequent teams never finished better than seventh in the conference.

Tommy Amaker inherited a team that imposed sanctions on itself after his first year at the helm of the program. Nonetheless, he coached the team to the postseason three times including both an NIT championship in 2004 and a runner-up finish in 2006. During the 2005– 06, when the team compiled a 22–11 overall (8–8, Big Ten) record, he led them to their first national ranking in eight years when they reached the #20 position. Despite his successes, the team never won a Big Ten Championship and never made the NCAA tournament, which led to his firing after six seasons.

John Beilein's 10–22 overall (5–13, Big Ten) inaugural season ended with the lowest scoring performance in the eleven-year Big Ten Conference Tournament history on March 14, 2008. They made the 2009 NCAA Tournament, their first appearance since 1998 and their first that was not vacated since 1995. They lost to Oklahoma in Round 2 of the 2009 Tournament, with a final score of 73-63.

The Fab Five, the 1992 recruiting class of five freshman starters, were Chris Webber*, Juwan Howard, Jalen Rose, Jimmy King, and Ray Jackson. They were notable for having gone to the championship game of the 1992 and 1993 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament as freshmen and sophomores, for having started the trend of wearing baggy gym shorts, which was later popularized by Michael Jordan, and for wearing black athletic socks. Due to the Ed Martin scandal, the records from their 1992 Final Four appearance and the entire following season have been forfeited. Although Webber was the only member of the Fab Five officially implicated with the scandal, the reputation of the whole group has been tarnished. Webber (1993*), Howard (1994) and Rose (1992, 1994) were college basketball All-Americans. and both King (1995 3rd team and 1993 & 1994 honorable mention) and Jackson (1995 2nd team & 1994 honorable mention) achieved All-Big Ten honors. All but Jackson played in the NBA. They were the subject of Mitch Albom's book entitled Fab Five: Basketball, Trash Talk, the American Dream, which at one point was under development by Fox Television as a made-for-television movie.

During the University of Michigan basketball scandal the Big Ten Conference, National Collegiate Athletic Association, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Internal Revenue Service, and United States Department of Justice investigated the relationship between the University of Michigan, its men's basketball teams and basketball team booster Ed Martin. The program was punished for NCAA rules violations, principally involving payments booster Martin made to several players to launder money from an illegal gambling operation. It is one of the largest incidents involving payments to college athletes in American collegiate history. It was described as one of the three or first violations of NCAA bylaws in history up to that time by the NCAA infractions committee chairman and the largest athlete payment scandal ever by ESPN.

The case began when the investigation of an automobile rollover accident during Mateen Cleaves' 1996 Michigan Wolverines recruiting trip revealed a curious relationship between Martin and the team. Several Michigan basketball players were implicated over the next few years and by 1999 several were called before a federal grand jury. Four eventual professional basketball players (Chris Webber, Maurice Taylor, Robert Traylor and Louis Bullock) were discovered to have borrowed a total of $616,000 from Martin. During the investigation, Webber claimed not to have had any financial relationship with Martin. Eventually he confessed to having accepted some of the money he was charged with having borrowed. For his perjury during a federal grand jury investigation, he was both fined in the legal system and briefly suspended by National Basketball Association after performing public service.

In 2002, the University punished itself when it became apparent that its players were guilty by declaring itself ineligible for post season play immediately, returning post season play monetary rewards, vacating five seasons of games, removing commemorative banners, and placing itself on a two year probation. The following year, the NCAA accepted these punishments, doubled both the probation period and the post-season ineligibility, penalized the school one scholarship for four seasons, and ordered disassociation from the four guilty players until 2012. The additional year of post-season ineligibility was overturned on appeal.

The punishment cost the 17–13 2002–03 team its post-season eligibility, cost past teams the 1997 National Invitation Tournament and the 1998 Big Ten Tournament championships as well as 1992 and 1993 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament Final Four recognition. It cost Chris Webber his All-American 1993 honors, Traylor his MVP awards in the 1997 NIT and 1998 Big Ten Tournament, as well as Bullock's standing as the school's third all-time leading scorer and all-time leader in 3-point field goals. Steve Fisher lost his job as Michigan head coach as a result of the scandal.

Below are lists of important players in the history of Michigan Wolverines men's basketball. It includes lists of major awards, retired numbers and school records. The honors include Naismith National College Player of the Year, NCAA Basketball Tournament Most Outstanding Player, Chicago Tribune Big Ten Player of the Year, All-American, and NCAA Walter Byers Scholar Athlete of the Year.

The University of Michigan has an all-time 41*–19* (34–15 with sanctions) record overall and 1–4* (1–2) championship game record in the NCAA Tournaments in twenty* (16.5) appearances. Glenn Rice holds the NCAA single-tournament scoring record with 184 points in 1989. The 1992 Final Four and all 1993, 1996, & 1998 games have been forfeited due to NCAA sanctions.

The NCAA began seeding the NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament with the 1979 edition. The 64-team field started in 1985, which guaranteed that a championship team had to win six games.

Two days before the team's first tournament game Steve Fisher was promoted from assistant coach to interim coach to replace Bill Frieder, who accepted a position to coach Arizona State. Michigan Athletic Director Bo Schembechler told Frieder not to bother showing up for the tournament once he announced he had accepted the job. The team started as the #3 seed in the Southeast Regional in Atlanta, Georgia where they defeated Xavier and South Alabama. In the Sweet Sixteen round at Lexington, Kentucky, Michigan met the same North Carolina team that had eliminated them from the tournament in the prior two seasons. After overcoming the Tar Heels, Michigan proceeded to record their greatest margin of victory in NCAA basketball history in a 102–65 victory over Virginia. In the Final Four at Seattle, Washington, Michigan was paired with Illinois who had beaten Michigan twice during the 1988–89 regular season include the final one. In the close contest a Sean Higgins shot at the end of the game provided the Wolverines with an 83–81 victory. In the championship game against Seton Hall Michigan took a 37–32 halfime lead, but the teams were tied at 71 at the end of regulation. Rumeal Robinson sank two free throws with three seconds left for the overtime victory. Glen Rice totaled an NCAA Championship Tournament-record 184 points and was named the tournament's Most Outstanding Player.

The 1993 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament championship game between Michigan and North Carolina included one of the most memorable plays in basketball history according to the New York Times. With 11 seconds to play and Michigan trailing by two points with no timeouts remaining, Chris Webber called timeout leading to a technical foul and loss of possession. Michigan went on to lose by a 77–71 margin.

In ten* (nine) National Invitation Tournament appearances, Michigan is 25*–7 (20–7) overall all-time and 3*–1 (2–1) in the championship game. 16*–0 (14–0) at Crisler Arena and 8*–2 (6–2) at Madison Square Garden. The 1997 tournament was forfeited due to NCAA sanctions. In five* (four) visits to Madison Square Garden, Michigan has won its first game each time.

Michigan is 7–9* (3–8) overall and 1*–0 (0–0) in the championship game in eleven Big Ten Tournament appearances. Michigan won the inaugural tournament, but forfeited this victory due to NCAA sanctions.

To the top

University of Michigan basketball scandal

Crisler Arena is the home of Michigan Wolverines men's basketball.

The University of Michigan basketball scandal or Ed Martin scandal was a six-year investigation of the relationship between the University of Michigan, its men's basketball teams and basketball team booster Ed Martin. As a result of the investigation, the Wolverine men's basketball program was punished for numerous NCAA rules violations, principally involving payments booster Martin made to several players to launder money from an illegal gambling operation. It is one of the largest incidents involving payments to college athletes in American collegiate history. An initial investigation by the school was joined by the NCAA, Big Ten Conference, Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Internal Revenue Service (IRS), and the United States Department of Justice (DOJ).

The case began when the investigation of an automobile accident during Mateen Cleaves' 1996 recruiting trip revealed a curious relationship between Martin and the Wolverine basketball program dating back to the 1980s. Several Michigan basketball players were implicated over the next few years and by 1999 some were called before a federal grand jury. Four eventual professional basketball players—Chris Webber, Maurice Taylor, Robert Traylor and Louis Bullock—were discovered to have borrowed a total of $616,000 from Martin. During the investigation, Webber claimed not to have had any financial relationship with Martin, but eventually confessed to taking loans from Martin. He was both fined in the legal system and briefly suspended by National Basketball Association after performing public service.

In 1997, coach Steve Fisher was fired for his involvement in violations relating to the scandal. By the fall of 2002, it was obvious that the four players were in fact guilty of taking money from Martin, and had thus compromised their amateur status. In response, Michigan placed the basketball program on two years' probation. It also withdrew from postseason consideration for the 2002–03 season, vacated all or part of five past seasons and removed the players' names and achievements from its record book. A few months later, the NCAA accepted these punishments, doubled both the probation period and the post-season ineligibility, penalized the school one scholarship for four seasons, and ordered Michigan to disassociate from the four guilty players until 2012. The punishment cost the 2002–2003 team its post-season eligibility, cost past teams the 1997 National Invitation Tournament and the 1998 Big Ten Tournament championships as well as appearances in the 1992 and 1993 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament Final Fours. It cost Chris Webber his All-American 1993 honors, Traylor his MVP awards in the 1997 NIT and 1998 Big Ten Tournament, as well as Bullock's standing as the school's third all-time leading scorer and all-time leader in 3-point field goals. The additional year of post-season ineligibility was overturned on appeal.

In the early morning of February 17, 1996; a Ford Explorer driven by either Taylor or Traylor, depending on the source, went out of control while returning along M-14 from a party in Detroit, 40 miles (64 km) east of Michigan's campus in Ann Arbor. Among the passengers was high school star Mateen Cleaves, who was on his official recruiting visit. When an investigation revealed that the trip included a visit to Ed Martin's home, the University investigated his relationship with the basketball program. Martin was reportedly returning to Ann Arbor from Detroit with Traylor, Taylor, Cleaves, Willie Mitchell, Bullock, and Ron Oliver after a party that included drugs, strippers and alcohol. Accounts of the party vary. By some accounts the party was hosted by Martin, but by other accounts Martin's house was a stop on the way to a party at Detroit's Westin Hotel. Martin, a retired Ford Motor Company electrician, provided all the players with money. During the rollover accident, Traylor broke his arm and was lost for the season. Mitchell transferred from Michigan to the University of Alabama-Birmingham after his sophomore 1995–1996 season. Bullock, Cleaves (who eventually signed with rival Michigan State), Taylor, and Traylor all went on to be drafted by National Basketball Association (NBA) teams, but Bullock has yet to play in the NBA.

The NCAA uses a statute of limitations of four years. Thus, at any time the NCAA can open or re-open an investigation for an infraction occurring within the last four years. However, NCAA convention is to date violations based on when they learned about the infraction. Thus, events that had occurred far more than four years prior to the investigation came under its purview. The initial accident reports revealed several inconsistencies and violations that induced expanded investigation.

Michigan admitted to the secondary NCAA violation of transporting a recruit more than 30 miles (48 km) from campus. Questions were immediately raised about whether Taylor actually owned the sport utility vehicle. The NCAA asked for leasing documentation of Taylor's vehicle and Michigan investigated the registrations of its players' vehicles. The University soon required that all the vehicles driven by its players be part of a special vehicle registration program.

In March 1997, Michigan and the Big Ten released the results of an investigation of Martin's relationship with the school. The investigation determined that Martin had nurtured a relationship that involved some minor violations. The violations that were published were that Martin was present at a recruit's home during a visit by head coach Fisher; and he'd given a U–M player a birthday cake. Fisher prevented Martin from committing serious additional violations by keeping him from placing a deposit on an apartment for a player. He also stopped Martin from buying airplane tickets for another player's family. A second October 1997 private investigation also failed to reveal any large violations.

Martin befriended Perry Watson, coach for Southwestern High School of Detroit, and provided gifts to the team's players. At this time, he began a close friendship with Bill Frieder, Michigan's coach from 1981 to 1989. When Frieder recruited a Southwestern High School prospect, Martin was present. Martin then began attending Michigan games with the prospect's father when the student enrolled. Martin also attended games and practices with Watson. Martin also developed a relationship with George Raveling who regularly recruited from Detroit high schools for the Iowa Hawkeyes. He also received complementary tickets to Iowa games while Raveling was coach. Martin attempted to give gifts and cash to Frieder recruit Terry Mills.

After Frieder left Michigan in 1989, Martin immediately formed an equally close relationship with his successor, Fisher. Martin gave Fisher's family gifts.

Martin noticed Webber during a middle school game. Martin attended Webber's church, where Webber's father was deacon and began fostering a relationship by making frequent visits to the Webber family home. Between 1988–1993 Martin gave Webber about $280,000. Eventually, Webber would confess to having received and repaid only $38,200, an amount identified via a specific transaction tied to Webber.

In September 1996, athletic director Joe Roberson learned that during the previous month Martin had tried to place deposits on apartments for Traylor and Louis Bullock. Martin had also offered airline tickets to Bullock's parents so they could attend a tournament in Puerto Rico. It emerged that Fisher had known about Martin's actions at the time. While Fisher had ordered the deposits retrieved and made sure the tickets weren't used, he didn't tell anyone in the athletic or compliance offices, as he was required to do. As a result of Roberson's findings, he ordered interviews of the basketball team and team coaches.

The March 1997 Big Ten report showed that official University phone records documented that the coaching staff called Martin's home 39 times. Between the 1991–92 and the 1993–94 seasons, records showed that Martin received 97 tickets to Michigan basketball games either for free or under his special arrangement to have tickets made available for purchase. Watson joined the Michigan basketball coaching staff in 1991. The October 1997 investigation revealed that Fisher had provided Martin with passes for sixteen complimentary tickets from 1994 to 1997, and that his secretary and other clerical workers made out ten more such passes. In addition, six passes where signed with the PW initials of departed coach Watson. Watson denied making such passes available and a handwriting analysis matched five of the six to Fisher. Fisher was fired when the investigation became public on October 10, 1997, just a week before the start of basketball practices.

In June 1997, the Detroit Free Press revealed sources that claimed both Chris Webber and Taylor had received at least $100,000 from Martin, but that Webber had repaid the money after turning pro. A pattern of Martin befriending young basketball stars eventually became clear. Martin paid $280,000 to Webber from 1988 (when he was a ninth-grader at Detroit Country Day School) to 1993 (his sophomore year at Michigan, after which he turned pro). Martin also befriended Traylor as a freshman in high school. Martin was at Traylor's home when Fisher made a recruiting visit. Between 1994 (his senior year at Murray-Wright High School in Detroit) and 1998 (his junior year at Michigan, after which he turned pro), Martin gave Traylor about $160,000. Martin befriended Taylor when he was in high school. Between 1995 and 1998 (during his time at Michigan), Martin gave Taylor about $105,000. Since Bullock went to high school in Maryland, he did not know Martin before coming to Michigan. Martin gave Bullock about $71,000 during his four years at Michigan which ended in 1999.

Roberson also learned that during the 1992 Final Four, Fisher made two of the limited supply of team rooms available to Martin. Martin gave one hotel room paid for by Michigan to Webber's father—a violation of NCAA rules. For his part, Martin denied any wrongdoing when questioned by an NCAA enforcement representative. However, he later refused to cooperate with the University or the NCAA, forcing Michigan to ban him from any contact with the athletic program in March 1997.

After the Michigan/Big Ten investigation and the private inviestigation, no serious violations arose. For example, Robert Traylor, Chris Webber, Jalen Rose, and Maurice Taylor were cleared in October 1997. In April 1999, the FBI and IRS raided several Detroit-area homes to stop a numbers game operation in the area's Ford plants. Martin's home was one of the targets; he was found with a loaded gun, gambling records and $20,000 in cash in his home. The authorities were investigating the Martin's alleged numbers game operation at Ford plants and whether Martin had provided Michigan basketball players with money and gifts. Another item that they seized was a Western Union moneygram from Martin to Traylor. In the course of a federal investigation, evidence turned up that Martin had given cash payments and other benefits to several Michigan players and Detroit-area high school prospects starting in the early 1980s. As a result of the investigations, the Detroit Free Press reported in May 1999, that a federal grand jury subpoenaed several Michigan basketball players to investigate the relationship between Martin and the basketball program.

Former Michigan basektball player, Albert White was implicated in early investigations for having accepted US$37,000, but he was not named in later indictments. It was not clear how much of the money White received directly and how much was given to his friends and family to influence his decision to attend Michigan. Although White was one of several players captured on federal wiretaps and interviewed by both the FBI and IRS, he cooperated fully and did not need to hire a lawyer. Although he was not implicated, he transferred from Michigan to play for the Missouri Tigers men's basketball team after clashing with Steve Fisher.

In late 1999, Martin originally agreed to a plea bargain in which he agreed to disclose information about the payments. The agreement with the United States Attorney's office was nearly finalized in January 2000. The paperwork for the plea agreement was to be finalized in March 2000 for the former Ford Motor Company employee to plead guilty to one count of federal gambling and one count of income tax evasion. He and his son, Carlton, backed out in May 2000, preferring to take their chances at trial due to the likelihood of light punishment for first-time offenders. Under the plea agreement in which they would have forfeited $100,000 and faced 6–15 months in prison, they would have been able to keep their homes. If found guilty at trial, they could have received up to 5 years imprisonment and $250,000 per count, but they would not have had to agree to cooperate with the University investigation.

Less than a week after Martin backed out of his plea agreement, several former players were subpoenaed to testify before grand juries. In August 2000, Traylor and Bullock, by this time professional basketball players in the NBA and Italy respectively, were confirmed to have taken payments from Martin. Many of the payments came after the 1997 banning of Martin from contact with the team and the firing of Steve Fisher. The two players cooperated with federal authorities and admitted to receiving money. Traylor, Bullock, Webber, Rose and Taylor all testified before the grand jury. Fisher, the current San Diego State University coach, testified before a federal grand jury investigating Martin. Also testifying were former Michigan assistants Perry Watson, Brian Dutcher and Scott Perry. Martin and Watson had been close friends when Watson was head coach at Detroit Southwestern High School, with Martin often sitting on the bench along with assistant coaches. Perry, who had arranged Cleaves' recruiting trip, had known Martin since 1977 and coached under Fisher from 1993–1997. Many players and observers believed Martin was Watson's uncle, leading to Martin's schoolyard nickname of "Uncle Ed." Martin and Watson had a falling-out in the early 1990s, shortly after Watson joined the Michigan staff. Webber's father also gave sealed testimony before the grand jury.

On March 21, 2002—after almost three years of testimony—the grand jury returned an eight-count indictment charging Martin, his wife Hilda and their friend Clarence Malvo with running an illegal gambling business at the Ford River Rouge plant, money laundering and conspiracy to launder money. According to the indictment, Martin made illicit loans totalling $616,000 to Webber, Taylor, Bullock and Traylor to launder money from an illegal numbers game at Detroit–area auto plants. The loans were made with the understanding that they would be repaid once the players turned pro. Martin was indicted for having paid Webber a total of $280,000 between 1988–1993, which included time from Webber's freshman year at Detroit Country Day School in Birmingham, Michigan to his sophomore year at Michigan.

Martin, his wife, Hilda, and Clarence Malvo were under federal indictment for conspiracy to engage in illegal gambling and could have faced up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine if convicted. Mr. Martin had also been charged with seven additional counts: having an illegal gambling business, conspiracy to launder money, three counts of laundering money and two counts of using money from illegal activities. The charge against Hilda Martin was dropped as part of a plea agreement. On April 8, 2002, Malvo pleaded guilty to grand jury perjury for testifying that he did not work for Martin. On May 28, 2002 Martin pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to launder money. He agreed to cooperate with investigations by the government, Michigan and the NCAA. The other seven charges against Martin were dropped in addition to those against Hilda. Furthermore, Martin was barred from associating with the team by a ban, which made any continuing financial relationship with him in violation of NCAA rules and to be considered a new violation.

In September 2002, Webber was indicted on five charges, including obstruction of justice and lying to a federal grand jury, for having misrepresented his relationship with Martin. Each charge was punishable by five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. He vowed to fight the charges.

Martin plead guilty to running an illegal lottery at the Ford Motors plant he worked at to provide proceeds for the players. Martin testified that he paid Webber $280,000 in cash and gifts, but as of January 2003 Webber denied receipt of money from Martin and maintained that he had testified truthfully to a grand jury in 2000 on such matters. Martin stated that there was always an understanding that the money would be repaid after the players became professionals. In the 2000 grand jury investigation, Webber had been asked about whether his off-campus apartment rent had been paid by Martin and whether he had received spending money, jewelry, clothing or a stereo. Webber generally responded by saying either that he could not recall or that he did not think he had received such gifts. However, prosecutors say that Webber, after turning professional, gave Martin ''a significant sum of money, in cash, as a partial repayment.'' In December 2002, Webber's father admitted he had accepted gifts and a small loan from Martin, which contradicted earlier statements. Prosecutors also accused Webber's aunt of lying about a meeting she had with Martin in the updated filing.

Chris Webber, his father, Mayce Webber, and aunt, Charlene Johnson, were also been indicted on charges of having lied to a federal grand jury regarding dealings with Martin. The University had attempted three previous investigations and was not successful at gathering enough evidence to proceed further until the federal government got involved. In January 2003, the federal prosecutors filed more detailed indictments against Webber and his relatives for obstruction of justice and perjury.

Ed Martin died of a suspected pulmonary embolism on February 14, 2003. He was awaiting sentencing at the time of his death. Mr. Malvo, who confessed to taking bets and paying off winning wagers for Mr. Martin, pleaded guilty April 8, 2002 to lying before a federal grand jury. He admitted to telling a grand jury in October 1999 that he bet money but did not work for Mr. Martin. He was sentenced in August 2002 to two years' probation.

Martin's death largely took the air out of the federal perjury case against Webber. In July 2003, on the day before jury selection in the case was due to begin, Webber plead guilty to the reduced charge of criminal contempt in order to avoid a possible jail sentence. He admitted to having received and repaid $38,200. The deal was subject to a discretionary fine and possible classification of the infraction as a felony by the United States District Court Judge Nancy Edmunds who would rule in September 2003. In exchange for the plea all other charges were dropped against him as were all charges against his father. The charges against Webber's aunt had been dropped after Martin's death.

At 8:00 A.M. that same day, the four banners were removed from the rafters. Four days later, the athletic department officially deleted all mention of Webber, Taylor, Traylor and Bullock from the school's athletic records. These included Traylor's MVP awards in the 1997 NIT and 1998 Big Ten Tournament, as well as Bullock's standing as the school's third all-time leading scorer and all-time leader in 3-point field goals. The deletions came because the payments may have compromised their amateur status.

Michigan finished the 2002–2003 season with a 17–13 record, but sat out both that year's NCAA and NIT tournaments due to the self-imposed postseason ban.

On May 8, 2003; the NCAA accepted Michigan's sanctions. It also imposed an additional two years' probation and docked the school one scholarship a year from 2004–2005 until 2007–2008. It also ordered the school to disassociate itself from Webber, Traylor, Taylor and Bullock until 2012. The NCAA also barred Michigan from postseason play for the 2003–04 season. Infractions committee chairman Thomas Yeager, who had come very close to imposing the "death penalty" on the University of Alabama football program a few months earlier, called the Martin/Michigan affair "one of the three or four most egregious violations of NCAA bylaws" ever. The disassociation meant that Michigan could not accept donations or recruiting assistance from any of the players for ten years. The NCAA criticized Fisher for allowing Martin access to the program, but did not sanction him. The University announced its intention to appeal the additional one year suspension from post-season play. As a result of the sanctions, Ellerbe's successor, Tommy Amaker, received a four-year contract extension to compensate for the duties while under probation, and Bernard Robinson, Jr. had the right to transfer without sitting out a year because, as the only scholarship senior, the ineligibility extended for his entire remaining scholarship tenure.

In September 2003, the NCAA reversed its decision to add a second year of postseason ineligibility after hearing an appeal by the University. Also in September 2003, Judge Edmunds deferred sentencing until she could monitor Webber's service of 300 hours of community service at a middle-school literacy program for two summers that she ordered. The literacy program is a six-week program and Webber was expected to work at least 150 hours each summer. Also in September the University announced it sought $695,000 in restitution from Webber. Webber was the only involved athlete that the University sought restitution from in part because he was the only one who confessed to lying to a grand jury. Webber stated that he did not feel the University's request was appropriate because he had not stolen from the University.

During the 2003-2004 NBA season, Webber was on the disabled list until February. When he returned, the NBA suspended him for three games for his guilty plea. In September 2005, Judge Edmunds ruled that the conviction should be treated as a misdemeanor and that Webber should pay the maximum fine for such an offense which was $100,000. This ruling came after Webber served 330 hours of public service and accumulated $78,000 of related out of pocket expenses.

The Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA), following the release of court testimony, requested Webber's high school, Detroit Country Day (DCD), to forfeit the three state titles won with Webber in the lineup (1989–91). DCD conducted its own investigation, then called a press conference on March 2, 2004, to announce there was no "credible evidence" Webber's amateur status had been violated. When the MHSAA gave them the option of forfeiting games Webber played they decided not to. Traylor's alma mater, Murray-Wright High, forfeited its entire 1994–95 season—Traylor's senior year.

To the top

Source : Wikipedia