Fine Arts

3.3871287128608 (1010)
Posted by pompos 04/21/2009 @ 12:15

Tags : fine arts

News headlines
Panama-Pacific ushered in the big museum show - San Francisco Chronicle
Former Fine Arts Museums curator Charles Moffett did more than gather a crowd-pleasing group of Impressionist pictures at the old de Young Museum. He tried to reconstruct the exhibitions through which the movement defined itself....
Darlington names fine arts director, head of Thornwood House - Rome News Tribune
Kim Tunnell has been named interim director of fine arts at Darlington School, and Marcus Holmes has been named head of Thornwood House. In the newly created fine arts position, Tunnell will be responsible for managing Darlington's choral music,...
Events in Connecticut - New York Times
Hours: Wednesdays through Fridays, 11 am to 5 pm; Saturdays, noon to 6 pm Susan Powell Fine Art, 679 Boston Post Road. (203) 318-0616. MYSTIC Mystic Seaport “Mapping the Pacific Coast: Coronado to Lewis and Clark, the Quivira Collection,” a traveling...
Limestone College will host Fine Arts Camp for youngsters - Gaffney Ledger (subscription)
Hoping to create a spark among children in this area, Limestone College will host its first Fine Arts Camp next month. With the purpose of nurturing creativity in the minds of local youths, the camp strives to develop social, communication and...
Rick's House Of Hope hosts fine arts day and concert May 30 - Quad-Cities Online
BETTENDORF – Rick"s House of Hope will host a Concert and Fine Arts Day on Saturday, May 30. Special guests will be the Davenport Junior Theatre Mainstage Company and the group Firesale, which will be performing live. The activities will start at noon...
Humble artist of simple beauty - Los Angeles Times
"Taut and muscular and yet most elegant" is how Jonathan Leo Fairbanks, curator emeritus of American decorative sculpture for Boston's Museum of Fine Arts, described Maloof's furniture in 2002. Later, Fairbanks told a Times reporter: "He is mighty...
11th annual St. Charles Art Show to feature student mosaics - Chicago Daily Herald
By Emily Jurlina | Daily Herald Staff Fine arts isn't limited to professional artists - at least, not in St. Charles this weekend. Among the paintings and sculptures on display at the 11th annual St. Charles Fine Art Show will be several mosaics,...
Forged art legacy of Vietnam war - BBC News
By Ha Mi How many of the paintings displayed at the Vietnamese National Museum of Fine Arts in Hanoi are originals and how many are copies? That question has been a topic of hot discussion in Vietnam for quite some time....
$26B construction program contains $54M for fine-arts complex at ISU - Bloomington Pantagraph
Pat Quinn on Thursday contains $54 million for a new fine-arts complex at Illinois State University. “This is very encouraging,” said ISU President Al Bowman on Thursday night. “This is a major step forward for us.” The long-awaited bill approved by...
Museum and gallery events - Philadelphia Inquirer
Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts 118-128 N. Broad St.; 215-972-7600. www.pafa.org. Over 1800 paintings, featuring some of the most important & recognizable works in American art. 108th Annual Student Exhibition. Closes 5/31....

Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts

Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts is located in Pennsylvania

The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts was founded in 1805 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania by painter and scientist Charles Willson Peale, sculptor William Rush, and other artists and business leaders. It is the oldest art museum and school in the nation. The Academy's museum is internationally known for its collections of 19th and 20th century American paintings, sculptures, and works on paper. Its archives house important materials for the study of American art history, museums, and art training.

The current museum building opened in 1876. Designed by the American architects Frank Furness and George W. Hewitt, it has been designated a National Historic Landmark. As such, it is recognized as an important part of America's and Philadelphia's architectural heritage. It was carefully restored in 1976. The collection is installed in a chronological and thematic format, exploring the history of American art from the 1760s to the present.

Since its founding, the Academy has collected works by leading American artists, as well as works by distinguished alumni and faculty of its school. From 1811 to 1969, the Academy also organized important annual art exhibitions from which significant acquisitions were made. Harrison S. Morris, Managing Director from 1892 to 1905, collected contemporary American art for the institution. Among the many masterpieces acquired during his tenure were works by Cecilia Beaux, William Merritt Chase, Frank Duveneck, Thomas Eakins, Winslow Homer, Childe Hassam, and Edmund Tarbell. Work by The Eight, which included former Academy students Robert Henri and John Sloan, is well represented in the collection, and provides a transition between 19th- and 20th- century art movements.

In 1876, former Academy student Thomas Eakins returned to teach there and re-vamped the certificate curriculum to what it remains today. Students in the certificate program learn fundamentals of drawing, painting, sculpture, and printmaking (lithography) for two years, after which they enjoy two years of independent study, guided by frequent, helpful critiques from faculty, students, and visiting artists alike.

The 1844 Board of Directors of the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts declaration that women artists “would have exclusive use of the statue gallery for professional purposes” and study time in the museum on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings signifies a significant advance towards formal training in art for women. Prior to the founding of the Academy, there were limited opportunities for women to receive professional training in the United States. Realizing the rise in interest of young women, this period between the mid-19th and early 20th century shows a remarkable growth of formally trained women artists.

By 1860 female students were allowed to take anatomy and antique courses (drawing from antique casts). In addition, women enjoyed their newly acquired library and gallery access. Life classes, the study of the nude body, were available to women in the spring of 1868 with female models and with male models six years later. This came after much debate on the appropriateness of women viewing the nude male form.

It took 24 years before women could take full advantage of all aspects of training at the prestigious institution. After 1868 women took more active leadership roles and achieved influential positions. For example, Catherine Drinker, at the age of 27, was the first woman to teach at the academy in 1878. One of her pupils, her younger cousin Cecilia Beaux, would leave a lasting legacy at the academy as the first female faculty member to instruct painting and drawing beginning in 1895. By the 1880s women had become competitors against men for top accolades and recognitions. Not until much later, however, did the academy gain its first woman on the Board of Directors in 1950.

Even as women artists were making progress in the United States, it remained more difficult in Europe. Women that chose to travel overseas typically studied the works of master artists in the galleries not in classes. In this regard, the U.S. was more progressive than Europe at the time.

Today, the Academy maintains its strong collecting tradition with the inclusion of works by modern and contemporary American artists. Acquisitions and exhibition programs are balanced between historical and contemporary art, and the museum continues to show works by contemporary regional artists and features annual displays of work by Academy students.

Qualified students who currently attend the Academy may apply for and receive a B.F.A. (Bachelor of Fine Arts) degree from the University of Pennsylvania. The two institutions' close ties and collaboration with each other enables qualified students to receive an Ivy League degree as well as a diploma from the Academy. The Academy is also known for the Academy BFA degree program offered exclusively in-house, its Master of Fine Arts program, a Post Baccaluareate Certificate in Graduate Studies, extensive continuing education offerings, as well as programs for children and families.

In 2005, the Academy received the National Medal of Arts which was presented by the President of the United States of America, recognizing the Academy as a leader in fine arts education.

In September 2006, the School of Fine Arts of the Academy completed its move into the newly renovated Samuel M.V. Hamilton Building, located at 128 N. Broad Street, adjacent to the Historic Landmark Building. This highly anticipated move is the next major element of the Academy's expansion and enhancement as it moves into its third century as America's oldest museum and school of art.

In January 2007, the Pennsylvania Academy, in association with the Philadelphia Museum of Art, purchased the Thomas Eakins's masterpiece, The Gross Clinic, from the Jefferson Medical School. This seminal American work will be displayed at both institutions, on a rotating basis, so it can be enjoyed by future generations of Philadelphians and visitors to the city alike.

In January 2009, PAFA signed a historic transfer agreement with Camden County College (NJ). The first such agreement in the history of the School of Fine Arts, the "Camden Connection" allows for the transfer of liberal arts and studio classes as well as providing, on a competitive basis, for partial merit scholarships specifically for Camden County College students. Other transfer agreements are planned with various well-respected community college art departments such as the Community College of Philadelphia, Montgomery County Community College, and Northampton County College.

The growth of the Academy of Fine Arts was slow. It held its exhibitions for many years, in a modern building of the Ionic order, which was begun in 1806, and stood on the site of the American Theatre on Chestnut Street. The first exhibition was held in 1811, and more than 500 paintings and statuary were on display. The Academy was reconstructed after the fire of 1845, and 23 years later steps were taken to construct a building more worthy of its treasures.

The newly-built Academy of Fine Arts will bear comparison with any institution of its kind in America. It has a front of one hundred feet on Broad Street and a depth of two hundred and fifty-eight feet on Cherry Street. Its situation, with a street on each of its three sides, and an open space along a considerable portion of the fourth, is very advantageous as regards lighting, and freedom from risk by fire.

It is built of brick, the principal entrance, which is two stories high, being augmented with encaustic tiles, terra-cotta statuary, and light stone dressings. The walls are laid in patterns of red and white brick. Over the main entrance on Broad Street there is a large Gothic window with stone tracery. The Cherry Street front is relieved by a colonnade supporting arched windows, back of which is the transept and pointed gable.

Beyond the entrance vestibule is the main staircase, which starts from a wide hall and leads to the galleries on the second floor. Along the Cherry Street side of the Academy are five galleries arranged for casts from the antique; and, further on, are rooms for drapery painting, and the life class. These have a clear north light which can never be obstructed.

On the south side, there is a large lecture room, with retiring rooms, and back of these are the modeling rooms and rooms devoted to the use of students and professors.

On the second floor is the main hall, which extends across the building, and is intended for the exhibition of large works of art. This story is divided into galleries, which are lighted from the top. Through the center runs a hall which is set apart for the exhibition of statuary, busts, small statues, bas-reliefs, etc. On each side of this hall are picture galleries, which are so arranged in size and form as to admit of classification of pictures, and which can be divided into suits where separate exhibitions may be held at the same time.

The art collections of the gallery are considered the most valuable in America. They comprise the masterpieces of Stuart, Sully, Allston, West, and others of our early artists, the Gilpin gallery, fine marbles, and facsimiles of famous statues, as well as a magnificent gallery from the antique.

To the top



Academy of Fine Arts Munich

Akademie der Bildenden Künste München

The Academy of Fine Arts, Munich (German: Akademie der Bildenden Künste München, also known as Munich Academy) was founded 1808 by Maximilian I of Bavaria in Munich as the "Royal Academy of Fine Arts" and is one of the oldest and most significant art academies in Germany.

In 1946, the Academy was merged with the schools for arts-and-crafts and applied arts, respectively. In 1953, the name changed to its current form.

On 26 October 2005, a new building by Coop Himmelb(l)au was opened next to the old building which was constructed 1874-1887 in Venetian Renaissance style by Gottfried Neureuther .

To the top



Academy of Fine Arts Vienna

The main entrance to the Akademie der bildenden Künste on Schillerplatz

The Academy of Fine Arts Vienna (German: Akademie der bildenden Künste Wien) is an institution of higher education in Vienna, Austria.

The Academy of Fine Arts Vienna was founded in 1692 as a private academy by the court-painter Peter Strudl, who became the Praefectus Academiae Nostrae. In 1701 he was ennobled as Baron of the Empire. With his death in 1714, the academy temporarily closed.

On 20 January 1725, Emperor Karl VI appointed the Frenchman Jacob van Schuppen as Prefect and Director of the Academy, which was refounded as the k.k. Hofakademie der Maler, Bildhauer und Baukunst (Imperial and Royal Court Academy of painters, sculptors and architecture). During the rule of Empress Maria Theresa, a new statute reformed the academy in 1751. The prestige of the academy grew, and in 1767 Archduchesses Charlotte Karoline and the archduchess Maria Anna were made the first Honorary Members of the Academy.

In 1772, there were further reforms to the organisational structure. Chancellor Kuntz integrated all existing art schools into the k.k. vereinigten Akademie der bildenden Künste (Imperial and Royal Unified Academy of Fine Arts). The word "vereinigten" (unified) was later dropped.

In 1872 Emperor Franz Joseph I approved a statute making the academy the supreme government authority for the arts. A new building was constructed by Theophil Freiherr von Hansen during the building of the Ringstraße. On April 1, 1877, the new building at the Schillerplatz was inaugurated, where it remains today.

During the Nazi Occupation from 1938-1945, the academy was forced to heavily reduce its number of Jewish staff. After World War II, the academy was reconstituted in 1955 and its autonomy reconfirmed. It has had university status since 1998, but retained its original name. It is currently the only Austrian university that doesn't have the word "university" in its name.

The Academy currently has about 900 students, almost a quarter of which are foreign students. Its faculty includes "stars" such as Peter Sloterdijk. Its library houses approx. 110,000 volumes and its "etching cabinet" (Kupferstichkabinett) has about 150,000 drawings and prints. The collection is one of the biggest in Austria, and is used for academic purposes, although portions are also open to the general public.

In 1907 and 1908, a prospective student by the name of Adolf Hitler was twice denied admission to the academy for art studies. He stayed in Vienna and tried unsuccessfully to continue his profession as an artist. Soon he had withdrawn into poverty and started selling amateur paintings, mostly watercolours, for meagre sustenance until the outbreak of the First World War.

To the top



Source : Wikipedia