Fort Worth

3.4026479750861 (1284)
Posted by r2d2 03/20/2009 @ 08:14

Tags : fort worth, dallas, cities and towns, texas, states, us

News headlines
GM to close 1100 dealerships - Bizjournals.com
GM has more than 30 dealerships in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, according to gm's dealer locator on its Web site. Reportedly, the letters outline the dealership's deficiencies and detail how it failed to meet the requirements of gm's sales and service...
More than 540 Fort Worth police officers were overpaid this week - Fort Worth Star Telegram
By ANNA M. TINSLEY FORT WORTH -- More than 540 police officers were overpaid this week due to a miscalculation on a spreadsheet, but the overpayments have been recovered, a city spokesman said late Friday afternoon. City employees worked through the...
Fort Worth woman accused of slashing boyfriend with fork, says he ... - Dallas Morning News
By EMILY TSAO / The Dallas Morning News A woman is accused of slashing her boyfriend with a fork because he took too long to answer the door, according to Fort Worth police. Tasha Jones, 26, was arrested Sunday on an accusation of aggravated assault...
Williams Trew Real Estate Services | Fort Worth - Fort Worth Star Telegram
Cooking and heating costs are kept low with propane gas, and Fort Worth city taxes are not applicable. The main floor is designed in an open floor plan with living area, breakfast area, and kitchen in addition to an office and media room with wet bar....
Dallas law school opposed by some North Texas lawmakers - Fort Worth Star Telegram
Lon Burnam, D-Fort Worth, saying that the $40 million state-funded initiative is money that could be better spent on healthcare. "Why are you prioritizing more lawyers over more doctors and nurses?" Burnam asserted before the House voted 108-35 to give...
Kimbell Art Museum in Fort Worth buys early Michelangelo painting - Dallas Morning News
By GAILE ROBINSON / Special Contributor to The Dallas Morning News FORT WORTH – In an extraordinary coup, the Kimbell Art Museum has acquired the earliest known painting by Michelangelo, one of only four easel paintings by the Renaissance master in the...
Fort Worth Cats purr early in opening-night win - Fort Worth Star Telegram
ST/Rodger Mallison A strong starting pitcher, strong bats and a strong crowd made for a successful Opening Day for the Fort Worth Cats. A quick start paced the Cats to a 7-5 victory against the Grand Prairie AirHogs in front of 4872 at LaGrave Field on...
Fort Worth chamber economic development group makes top 20 list - Fort Worth Star Telegram
By SANDRA BAKER The Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce's economic development group is among the nation's top 20, the third time in four years it has made the list. Site Selection magazine Thursday released its list of the top 10 economic development...
Fort Worth sponsoring clean air contest - Pegasus News
By Don Young of FWCanDo "Tell us in 500 words or fewer what you or your family do to keep Fort Worth air cleaner. How do you keep vehicle emissions as low as possible? Why are you doing these activities to help keep our air clean....
Texas & Pacific Lofts | Downtown Fort Worth - Fort Worth Star Telegram
The designer of the six lighted sculptures on the "Avenue of Light" said he was inspired by the art deco details in the grand lobby of Texas & Pacific Terminal. Downtown IS the place to be as people pour into Texas & Pacific Lofts....

Roman Catholic Diocese of Fort Worth

The Roman Catholic Diocese of Fort Worth, USA, was established August 9, 1969, after being part of the Diocese of Dallas for almost 60 years. At present, the Diocese has more than 700,000 Catholics in 96 parishes served by 123 priests, 52 deacons, 43 sisters, and 23 brothers.

It is made up of 38 counties of North Central Texas: Archer, Baylor, Bosque, Clay, Comanche, Cooke, Denton, Eastland, Erath, Foard, Hardeman, Hill, Hood, Jack, Johnson, Knox, Montague, Palo Pinto, Parker, Shackelford, Somervell, Stephens, Tarrant, Throckmorton, Wichita, Wilbarger, Wise, and Young with a total of 23,950 mi².

In 1890 Catholic population of the area of the Brazos and Trinity rivers had grown large enough that Pope Leo XIII established the Diocese of Dallas. As early as 1870 Claude Marie Dubuis, the second bishop of Galveston (which diocese encompassed all of Texas at that time), had begun sending Father Vincent Perrier twice a year to visit Fort Worth. At that time several Catholic families were meeting in the Carrico home. Fort Worth’s first parish church was a frame structure built at 1212 Throckmorton Street and called St. Stanislaus Church. It stood until 1907. The cornerstone of St. Patrick’s Church, which eventually became St. Patrick Cathedral, was laid in 1888; the church was built just north of St. Stanislaus Church and dedicated in 1892. When Dallas was made a diocese the region that eventually became the Diocese of Fort Worth had seven parishes – Fort Worth, Cleburne, Gainesville, Henrietta, Hillsboro, Muenster, and Weatherford.

The decade of the 1870s witnessed the earliest Catholic education in the area. In 1879 Father Thomas Loughrey, pastor of St. Stanislaus Church, opened a boy’s school that operated in the church until 1907. In 1885 the Sisters of Saint Mary of Namur established Saint Ignatius Academy in Fort Worth and Xavier Academy in Denison. In 1910 the same order of nuns founded Fort Worth’s first Catholic college, Our Lady of Victory College. Other Catholic schools opened in Denton (1874) Weatherford (1880), Muenster (1890 and 1895), Gainesville (1892), Pilot Point (1893), and Cleburne (1896). St. Joseph’s Infirmary (now St. Joseph's Hospital) opened in 1885 in Fort Worth.

In 1953 Pope Pius XII changed the name of the Diocese of Dallas to Diocese of Dallas–Fort Worth, and Saint Patrick’s Church in Fort Worth was elevated to the status of a co-cathedral. In 1985 St. Patrick Cathedral, St. Ignatius Church, and the St. Ignatius rectory were added to the National Register of Historic Places.

On August 22, 1969, Pope Paul VI separated 28 counties of north central Texas from the Catholic Diocese of Dallas and established it as the Diocese of Fort Worth. Two months later, on October 21, Bishop John J. Cassatta, a native of Galveston, was installed in St. Patrick Cathedral as Fort Worth’s first ordinary. From 1969, when the Diocese of Fort Worth was established, to 1986 the Catholic population increased from 67,000 to 120,000. Meanwhile, in 1981 Bishop Cassata retired, and Pope John Paul II named as his successor a native of Massachusetts who had previously worked in Brownsville, Bishop Joseph P. Delaney.

Under Bishop Delaney the diocese continued to mature. In 1986, it had fourteen primary schools, three secondary schools, the Cassata Learning Center (dedicated in 1975 as an institution offering nontraditional, personalized instruction to the underprivileged of Fort Worth), and a new Catholic Center The center, a 20,000-square-foot (1,900 m2) edifice, brought together under one roof all of the pastoral and administrative offices of the diocese. Guided by Bishop Delaney, the diocese continued to underscore the principles of the Second Vatican Council, especially a commitment to the poor, to ecumenism, and to an increased role in the church for the laity. In May 2005, Pope Benedict XVI appointed Msgr. Kevin Vann as coadjutor bishop. A coadjutor bishop has right of succession upon the death or retirement of a bishop. On July 12, 2005, Bishop Delaney was found dead at his home, apparently passing away in his sleep. On July 13, 2005, Kevin Vann was ordained bishop as previously scheduled and, because of Bishop Delaney's death, immediately assumed the cathedra of the Diocese.

The first bishop of the Diocese of Fort Worth was the Most Reverend John J. Cassata, born in Galveston on November 8, 1908. He studied in the diocesan seminary, was ordained a priest of the Diocese of Galveston-Houston on December 8, 1932, and served as associate pastor and pastor of Holy Name Parish in the city of Houston for 35 years, and as vicar general. He was appointed by Pope Paul VI as Auxiliary to Bishop Thomas K. Gorman of the Diocese of Dallas-Fort Worth on March 12, 1968, and ordained a bishop at St. Michael's Church in Houston on June 5, 1968. Bishop Cassata served, as auxiliary bishop, for one year as pastor of St. Patrick's Co-Cathedral in Fort Worth. On August 9, 1969, the new Diocese of Fort Worth was created and he was appointed its first bishop.

During his 13 years of episcopal ministry, Bishop Cassata brought financial stability to the new diocese, established twelve parishes and encouraged lay and priestly ministry. He retired from active ministry on September 12, 1981, and died September 8, 1989.

The second bishop of the Diocese of Fort Worth was the Most Reverend Joseph P. Delaney. He was born in Fall River, Massachusetts on August 29, 1934. He studied for the priesthood in seminaries in Boston, Washington, and Rome, and was ordained a priest on December 18, 1960 for the Diocese of Fall River.

After serving six years as associate pastor, high school teacher, and assistant superintendent of schools in Taunton, Massachusetts, he received permission of his bishop to work in the Diocese of Brownsville, Texas. He served in that diocese as an associate pastor, the pastor of two parishes, superintendent of schools, editor of the diocesan newspaper, judicial vicar, and co-chancellor.

Bishop Delaney was named the second bishop of the Diocese of Fort Worth by Pope John Paul II on July 10, 1981, and was ordained to the episcopacy in the Tarrant County Convention Center on September 13, 1981.

He led the Diocese of Fort Worth for many years and greatly expanded diocesan services offered to Catholics. He died on July 12, 2005. After his death, documents were released by state District Judge Len Wade which revealed that Delaney had been aware of sex abuse in the Fort Worth Diocese.

Bishop Vann, who at the time he was initially appointed a bishop was the pastor of Blessed Sacrament Parish in the Diocese of Springfield, Illinois, was ordained a priest of that diocese in 1981. He served as the vicar for priests of the diocese, served as the bishop’s contact for Hispanic Ministry and on the diocesan Committee for Hispanic Ministry, the Commission for the Care of Infirm and Retired Priests, the Priests’ Personnel Board, and on the Presbyteral Council. He was ordained Bishop on Wednesday July 13th of 2005 at the Daniel-Meyer Coliseum at Texas Christian University by Archbishop Jose Horacio Gomez of the Archdiocese of San Antonio, Texas, Bishop George Joseph Lucas of the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois, and Archbishop Raymond L. Burke of the Archdiocese of St. Louis; he was to have been coadjutor, but because of Bishop Delaney's death the previous day, he became bishop of the diocese immediately.

To the top



Fort Worth Transportation Authority

logo

The Fort Worth Transportation Authority is the operator of the bus system of the city of Fort Worth, Texas, popularly known as The T. The T also partners with DART of Dallas through the Trinity Railway Express (TRE), which offers commuter rail service from downtown Fort Worth to DFW Airport and downtown Dallas.

Through the early 1970s, bus transit services in Fort Worth were provided by City Transit Company, a private enterprise. Starting in 1974, the city's Traffic Engineering Department began coordinating bus operations. In 1978, the city established the Fort Worth Department of Transportation, which took over public transit operations. These operations included the City Transit Service (CITRAN) and the Surface Transportation Service (SURTRAN), with transportation services for the handicapped (MIPS) being added in 1979.

On November 8, 1983, voters approved formation of The T. To finance the system, voters levied a half-cent sales tax. The CITRAN, SURTRAN, and MIPS services were folded into the new agency, along with carpool and vanpool coordination.

The agency's first addition came on November 5, 1991 when the small suburb of Lake Worth voted 344-206 in favor of joining the T. That prompted three more elections on May 2, 1992 when Blue Mound, Forest Hill and Richland Hills had the issue of joining the agency on the ballot. Blue Mound and Richland Hills voted in favor while Forest Hill declined the measure nearly 2-1.

The T saw its first departure when voters in Lake Worth approved a pullout in September 2003. Service withdrawal became effective on March 21, 2004. Lake Worth had previously tried to pull out in 1996, but that measure failed.

In 2001, the T saw its cooperation efforts with DART pay off as the Trinity Railway Express reached downtown Fort Worth. The other end of the line terminates in downtown Dallas.

The TRE commuter line has a daily ridership of 9,100 and is the tenth most-ridden commuter rail system in the country.

The bulk of the T's operations involve 36 bus routes within the service area. Most route through downtown Fort Worth, where the TRE has two train stations, Intermodal Transportation Center (ITC) and the T&P Station. The ITC is the major transit station for the T, as the TRE trains and twenty bus routes meet.

The T also operates a vanpool/carpool service. A vanpool/carpool is a group of at least seven people who share the costs of getting to and from work. These individuals usually live and work near each other. Monthly fares will vary, depending on the origination point of the van and the daily miles involved. Riders pay only for the portion of the trip they use. For instance, if the service picks up riders in different counties, it's possible for some riders to pay more than others.

The last service The T offers is the Mobility Impaired Transportation Service. It offers door-to-door transportation within the service areas of Fort Worth, Richland Hills and Blue Mound. Trained drivers are available to assist passengers in boarding and alighting vehicles specially designed to accommodate the mobility impaired.

Grapevine citizens voted 8,058-2,898 on November 7, 2006 to levy a full cent sales tax, of which three-eights of a cent would authorize Grapevine to contract with The T for rail service and another 1/8 cent for other transit improvements, like a downtown parking garage. This includes an expansion of the commuter rail system to link southwest Fort Worth to the north end of Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. The new line is expected to cost $USD330 million, of which 10 percent would be Grapevine's share.

The T's Board of Directors finalized their plans in October 2006 for the southwest-to-northeast expansion. Two commuter routes, a light rail route and a bus rapid transit route were under consideration. The Board's recommendation was a commuter rail line that runs in the southwest part of the city near Altamesa and Dirks road, run by Texas Christian University and the Medical District on its way to the existing T&P and ITC train stations of the TRE line. At that point it turns northwest toward the Stockyards before turning back northeast toward DFW airport. Preliminary plans call for nine new stations with eleven total, though that has not been finalized, and could be contingent on other cities along the corridor joining the agency.

East of Grapevine, the commuter rail corridor is also included in DART's preliminary 2030 plans. Together, the corridor would connect downtown Fort Worth, Grapevine, and DFW Airport with Carrollton (at a junction with both the proposed Denton County Transportation Authority commuter rail line and DART's Green Line light rail line), Addison, Richardson, and Plano.

Officials with the T are hoping the new rail line will entice non-T member cities along the line to join the transit agency in its quest to become a regional transit entity. Cities along the route include Colleyville, Haltom City and North Richland Hills. The route also goes through small parts of Hurst and Southlake. Unlike Grapevine, those cities do not have room under the state-mandated 8.25% sales tax cap for the 1/2 cent need to join. Unlike the Hurst/Bell station on the TRE, the T will not build a station along the line in those cities unless they are a member city first.

From November 6, 2006 through November 11, 2006, around 100 of The T's union workers went on strike, citing the agency's policy regarding termination of employees who had used up their short-term disability benefits. This represented about a third of the workers represented by Teamsters Local 997. Service continued with delays the next morning by non-striking drivers, and The T began advertising for replacement drivers. During the dispute, bus rides on The T were free, and the agency announced that monthly pass holders will receive a 25% discount on their December passes. By Friday, replacement workers and other drivers willing to cross the picket lines had restored service to normal levels.

The T offered a new contract proposal late in the week, which was rejected on Saturday by a vote of 37 to 21. But because less than half of the 155 union members voted, a 2/3 majority of the vote was required to reject the contract. That would have required 39 of the 58 votes, so the contract was declared "accepted".

Service on the Trinity Railway Express was not affected, as the rail line's employees work under a different contract.

Nine years earlier, a four-day strike in 1997 shut down 75% of The T's service.

The T's Board of Directors are allowing public comments on a proposed a fare increase. The fares went into effect on October 1, 2007 to pay for extremely high fuel costs that were the result of the oil price increases since 2003. The 25-cent increase in this case is effectively a fuel surcharge, and also covers the cost of compressed natural gas (which is pegged to diesel fuel costs).

This will be their first fare increase since October 2003. The Premium Day Pass is valid on all DART, T, and TRE services for one day.

To the top



Fort Worth and Denver Railway

Map of the Colorado & Southern Railroad lines, including the Fort Worth and Denver City lines in Texas

The Fort Worth and Denver Railway (reporting mark FWD), nicknamed "the Denver Road," was an American railroad company that operated in the northern part of Texas from 1881 to 1982, and had a profound influence on the early settlement and economic development of the region.

The Fort Worth and Denver City Railway Company (FW&DC) was chartered by the Texas legislature on May 26, 1873. The company would later change its name to the Fort Worth and Denver Railway Company (FW&D) on August 7, 1951.

The main line of the railroad ran from Fort Worth through Wichita Falls, Childress, Amarillo, and Dalhart, to Texline, where it connected with the rails of parent company Colorado and Southern Railroad, which was in turn a subsidiary of the Burlington Route.

The Panic of 1873 delayed the start of construction until 1881, when Grenville M. Dodge became interested in the project. Dodge, as chief engineer for the Union Pacific Railroad, had played a large part in the construction of the first transcontinental railroad. Dodge organized the Texas and Colorado Railway Improvement Company in 1881 to build and equip the FW&DC in return for $20,000 in stock and $20,000 in bonds for each mile of track laid. In the same year, The FW&DC and the Denver and New Orleans Railroad Company, organized in Colorado, agreed to connect their systems at the Texas-New Mexico border. The FW&DC received no state subsidy other than the right-of-way across state-owned lands totaling 2,162 acres (8.75 km2).

Beginning construction at Hodge Junction, just north of Fort Worth, on November 27, 1881, by September 1882 Dodge had completed 110 miles (180 km) of track to Wichita Falls, Texas. By 1885, the line reached Harrold; by 1886, Chillicothe; by 1887, Clarendon and Amarillo; and by 1888, Texline on the New Mexico border. Continuing into the New Mexico Territory, the FW&DC finally linked with the D&NO where the railheads met at Union Park, near present-day Folsom, New Mexico, 528 miles (850 km) from Fort Worth, on March 14, 1888.

Railroad service between Fort Worth and Denver began on April 1, 1888. In 1895, Dodge became president of the company, one of several railroads he held a financial interest in.

In 1899, The FW&DC was acquired by the Colorado and Southern Railroad, successor to the D&NO. The C&S itself was bought by the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad in 1908; however, the three companies continued to operate as separate legal entities. In part, this separation was due to Texas law, which required all railroads operating in the state to have their headquarters in Texas.

The FW&DC was the first rail line to penetrate the northwest part of Texas, which contributed greatly to the growth of Texas cities such as Wichita Falls, Childress, and Amarillo. In addition, the railroad actively promoted settlement of the rural areas it served, providing free seeds, trees, and tree seedlings to farmers and ranchers to promote cotton and wheat growing as well as erosion prevention.

In the first four decades of the twentieth century, the FW&DC built or acquired a number of feeder lines in its territory, so that by 1940, the Burlington-owned system operated 1,031 miles (1,659 km) of main track in Texas in addition to the Burlington-Rock Island Railroad.

The Fort Worth and Denver City leased the Fort Worth and Denver South Plains (completed in 1928, 206 miles (332 km) from Estelline to Plainview and Lubbock; the Fort Worth and Denver Northern (completed in 1932, 110 miles (180 km) from Childress to Pampa); and the Fort Worth and Denver Terminal (providing access to railyards and terminals in Fort Worth).

Several feeder lines operated by the Wichita Valley Railway Company (another subsidiary of the Colorado and Southern) connected with the FW&DC at Wichita Falls, including lines to Abilene, Texas and Waurika, Oklahoma. In 1952, the Wichita Valley and its subsidiaries were merged into the Fort Worth and Denver Railway.

In 1925, the FW&DC had extended service from Fort Worth to Dallas by acquiring trackage rights over the Rock Island Railroad between those cities. At Dallas, FW&DC trains connected with the Burlington-Rock Island Railroad for through service to Houston.

The premier passenger train of the FW&DC was the streamlined Texas Zephyr, which operated between Dallas and Denver from 1940 to 1967. At the railroad's peak in 1944, during the World War II economic boom, the Texas Railroad Commission reported that the FW&DC earned $12,132,515 in freight revenue, $5,839,399 in passenger revenue, and $1,488,095 in other revenue. However, by 1972, in the face of competition from interstate highway traffic and airlines, the Fort Worth and Denver owned twenty locomotives and 1,520 freight cars, but operated at a loss of $1,743,551.

In 1970, the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, the Great Northern Railroad, and the Northern Pacific Railroad merged themselves into a single railroad, the Burlington Northern Railroad; however, their subsidiaries in Colorado and Texas continued to have a separate legal existence until the Burlington Northern acquired the Fort Worth and Denver Railway by virtue of the merger between BN and the Colorado and Southern Railroad on December 31, 1981. The Fort Worth and Denver Railway's corporate existence came to an end when it was formally merged into Burlington Northern Railroad on December 31, 1982.

The FW&D's former main line through the Texas Panhandle and North Texas is now a heavily used route of BN's successor, the BNSF Railway, primarily for coal and intermodal trains between Fort Worth and the western United States. Additionally, the Union Pacific Railroad has trackage rights on this line from Fort Worth to Dalhart. However, no passenger trains have operated in scheduled revenue service on this route since the FW&D ended all passenger service in 1967, before the creation of Amtrak in 1971.

In 1989, BN abandoned the former Fort Worth and Denver South Plains trackage between Estelline and Lubbock. In 1993, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department acquired 64 miles (103 km) of the abandoned right-of-way between Estelline and the town of South Plains to create the Caprock Canyons State Park and Trailway's hike and bike trail.

The Saints' Roost Museum in Clarendon houses a restored Fort Worth and Denver Railway depot.

To the top



Fort Worth Star-Telegram

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram is a major U.S. daily newspaper serving Fort Worth and the western half of the North Texas area known as the Metroplex. Its area of domination is checked by its main rival, The Dallas Morning News, which is published from the eastern half of the Metroplex. It is owned by The McClatchy Company.

In May 1905, Amon G. Carter accepted a job as an advertising space salesman in Fort Worth. A few months later, he agreed to help finance and run a new newspaper in town. The Fort Worth Star printed its first newspaper on February 1, 1906, with Carter as the advertising manager.

The Star lost money, and was in danger of going bankrupt when Carter had an audacious idea: raise additional money and purchase his newspaper's main competition, the Fort Worth Telegram. In November 1908, the Star purchased the Telegram for $100,000, and the two newspapers combined on January 1, 1909 into the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

From 1923 until after World War II, the Star-Telegram was distributed over one of the largest circulation areas of any newspaper in the South, serving not just Fort Worth but also West Texas, New Mexico and western Oklahoma. The newspaper created WBAP in 1922 and Texas' first television station, WBAP-TV, in 1948.

After owning the Star-Telegram for more than six decades, the Carter family sold it in 1974 to Capital Cities Communications, which later purchased the ABC television network. The Walt Disney Company acquired Capital Cities/ABC in 1996; it sold the Star-Telegram and its other newspaper holdings to the Knight Ridder newspaper chain in 1997. McClatchy became the Star-Telegram’s fifth owner when it purchased Knight Ridder in June 2006.

The Star-Telegram’s circulation area is the Fort Worth/Arlington metro area (four counties) and 14 surrounding counties. The newspaper's primary market is the four-county Fort Worth/Arlington metro area (as well as the Dallas suburb of Grand Prairie), which is the western part of the fourth-largest U.S. metropolitan area, the Dallas/Fort Worth/Arlington Combined Statistical Area. Fort Worth/Arlington ranks 29th most populous as a metro area.

The Star-Telegram is the nation's oldest continuously operating online newspaper. StarText, an ASCII-based service, was started in 1982 and eventually integrated into the paper's current website. In 2008, the Star-Telegram launched an infotainment web series called the DaFoWo Show. The title is derived from Dallas-Fort Worth.

To fight more layoffs, cutbacks in newspaper size and quality, and the possible sale of the paper's historic downtown headquarters, the site savethes-t.com was formed in late 2008.

To the top



Source : Wikipedia