Joe Hart

3.4626865671411 (1273)
Posted by bender 04/09/2009 @ 20:11

Tags : joe hart, soccer players, soccer, sports

News headlines
Blues head for Hart - SkySports
Birmingham appear to be leading the hunt to capture Manchester City keeper Joe Hart on a season-long loan deal. The promising 22-year-old is set to leave Eastlands after losing his first-team place to the more experienced Shay Given, following his...
OT: England U21s / Joe Hart -
Joe Hart has just had to face a penalty for Finland against England U21s after Michael Mancienne was sent off. In a quiet stadium you could hear him screaming at the penalty taker something similar to 'YOU, YOU, DON'T HIT IT DOWN THE MIDDLE'....
Youngsters rescued by Richards - Independent
There had been an early warning when Mancienne and the goalkeeper Joe Hart were indecisive in dealing with one of Finland's long balls down the centre. They escaped that time, but not in the 31st minute, when the Chelsea defender found himself...
David sullivan working hard to get 'right' players at Birmingham City -
The loan of Joe Hart is all but agreed and should be announced after the current European under-21 Championship in Sweden. Blues are still talking to Cardiff City about Roger Johnson, Oguchi Onyewu remains an option and offers have been made to free...
Onuoha spills the beans on the England Under-21 squad - Times Online Blogs
Joe Hart. Suddenly picked by his ex-manager at Manchester City, Stuart Pearce, for the England Under-21's, having never got a look-in before? Sounds dodgy to me! Joe pretends he's got nothing to do with the manager, but we all know the truth....
Hart set for loan move - SkySports
Joe Hart looks set to leave Manchester City on loan to bolster his chances of making next summer's World Cup finals. The 22-year-old lost his first-team place to Shay Given after the more experienced keeper was recruited in the January transfer window....
City make move for Wednesday star Grant after letting Hart go - Daily Mail
By Sportsmail Reporter Manchester City have made a move for Sheffield Wednesday's Lee Grant after agreeing to let Joe Hart join Birmingham. Mark Hughes wants experienced cover for Shay Given and Grant's £1.5m arrival will enable Hart to complete his...
Colborn Baseball League becomes instant success - Ventura County Star
The coaches are Tony Aguirre, Doug Brown, Dave Asplund, Mark Rehman, and Joseph Hart. Wendi Cook was team mom. Mariners win championhip: The Mariners edged the Red Sox 3-2 for the Ventura Foothill Little League Minor Division championship....
Hart's likely move to Blues gains strength - Birmingham Post
Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart appeared to be on his way yesterday in a loan move which could be made permanent next summer. The 22-year-old has fallen out of favour at Eastlands following the arrival of Shay Given in January and does not wish to...
Fire victim's status upgraded at hospital - Columbia Daily Tribune
The condition of Gayla Hart, 48, has been upgraded since yesterday, when she was listed in critical condition. She was injured during a morning fire at 6300 E. O'Rear Road that killed her father, Joseph Hart, 72. Boone County sheriff's Detective Tom...

Joe Hart


Charles Joseph John "Joe" Hart (born 19 April 1987 in Shrewsbury, Shropshire) is an English football goalkeeper with Manchester City. He is a regular for the England Under-21 team and has been capped as a full international for England.

Hart attended Oxon Primary School, followed by Meole Brace School Science College in Shrewsbury. Whilst he was still a Year 11 student at the school, he travelled with the first team squad of his hometown club, Shrewsbury Town, to Exeter City on 1 February 2003. He was a non-playing substitute on that occasion and fulfilled that role again versus Rochdale at Gay Meadow on 1 March 2003, still some six weeks short of his sixteenth birthday. This match yielded Shrewsbury's final victory in a season that culminated in relegation to the Conference. During the one season that Shrewsbury spent in the Conference, Hart made his senior debut on 20 April 2004, a day after his seventeenth birthday. He played 90 minutes in the match against Gravesend & Northfleet. Four days later, he conceded three at Morecambe.

Hart did not play again until April of the following year, as Scott Howie dominated goalkeeping duties. With Shrewsbury back in the Football League (the newly-renamed League Two) and struggling, Hart played six matches and conceded four goals.

From the start of the 2005–06 season, Hart made the step up into the first team, and became the club's first choice goalkeeper, claiming the Number 1 shirt. He played a full 46 match league season, conceding 55 goals. Despite conceding more than one goal per game, Hart won plaudits for his personal performances, winning his first England U-19 cap in October 2005, as a substitute against Poland.

Hart also found admirers in the Premiership, with several top-flight scouts attending matches. On 30 November 2005, the Shropshire Star newspaper reported that Everton goalkeeping coach Chris Woods had been present at Town's previous league match, a 4–3 loss at Rochdale. Shrews boss Gary Peters said "Everton have been to watch him, but you could say the same about Arsenal, Chelsea and every other team in the Premiership".

Speculation about his future continued for the duration of the season, and with the presence of their goalkeeping coach Tim Flowers at several matches, Manchester City became the most likely of his suitors.

On 7 February 2006, Hart was announced as the top League Two player in the PFA Fans' Player of the Month Awards for January 2006. Football fans voted him as the best player in the division via the website

At the PFA Awards ceremony on 23 March 2006, it was announced that Hart had been voted as League Two's best goalkeeper for 2005–06 by his fellow professionals, earning him a place in the PFA League Two Team of the Year.

With Hart in Belgium preparing to make his fifth appearance for the England U19 squad, in the Elite qualifying round for the 2006 UEFA U-19 Championship, it was announced that his move to Manchester City had been completed. England lost the match to Serbia and Montenegro and failed to qualify.

On 22 May 2006, City paid an initial £600,000 for Hart, but, depending on appearances, the fee could rise to a total of £1,500,000.

Hart made his debut for City on 14 October 2006 after injuries ruled out Andreas Isaksson and Nicky Weaver for the Premier League match against Sheffield United. He kept a clean sheet in the match, which finished goalless. He has managed 3 clean sheets in 4 premier league games this season.

Hart spent the whole month of January 2007 on loan to League One club Tranmere Rovers. He made 6 appearances and conceded 8 goals. He was then named in his then-club manager Stuart Pearce's first squad in his part-time role as England U21 coach, alongside another goalkeeper uncapped at U21 level, Ben Alnwick. He was not chosen to start the match on 6 February 2007 against Spain, but did come on as a substitute late in the game.

In April 2007, Hart joined Blackpool on loan as cover for the injured trio of Rhys Evans, Paul Rachubka and Lewis Edge. He kept a clean sheet in a 2–0 win for Blackpool at Huddersfield Town on 9 April 2007, in his first game for the Seasiders. Blackpool won all five games in which Hart appeared, including a 6–3 win at Swansea City in his final game, and he helped them claim a place in the end-of-season play-offs.

On his return from a successful loan spell at Blackpool, former Manchester City manager, Sven-Göran Eriksson, named Hart as Manchester City's number 1 ahead of Andreas Isaksson. After his performance against Newcastle, Eriksson touted him as "one of the biggest talents in this country as a goalkeeper", and that he had the potential to become an England international in the future. Only months later, he made his England debut against Trinidad & Tobago on 1 June 2008.

After the departure of Isaksson, Hart took the vacant number 1 jersey when the official 08/09 squad numbers were announced on 5 August 2008. Many journalists criticized Manchester City manager Mark Hughes for buying Shay Given to replace Hart as the first keeper of the club in the January transfer window, saying that it could wreck the career of a future England international. Since then, Hart has not played another game for Manchester City.

Hart was selected by Stuart Pearce in the preliminary England Under-21 30-man squad for Euro 2007, and later made the final 23. In the team's final friendly before the finals, Hart was selected for his first Under-21 start, and played the full 90 minutes in a 5–0 win over Slovakia at Carrow Road. However, Hart took no part in the finals, with Scott Carson playing in all of England's four fixtures. Hart will be eligible for the U21s until the end of the Euro 2009 finals.

Having been a regular in the England U21 squad, Hart was called up by Fabio Capello to the full England squad for the friendly matches against USA and Trinidad & Tobago. An unused substitute against USA, he made his debut against Trinidad & Tobago, on 1 June 2008 at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port of Spain. Coming on at half time for David James with England 2-0 up, he saw little action, England eventually running out 3-0 winners.

However, Hart's senior England debut has not netted Shrewsbury Town the expected bonus of £500,000 from Manchester City, as negotiated at part of his transfer in 2006, because it was not a competitive match.

He received a second call-up by Fabio Capello to face Czech Republic on 20 August 2008, but was not brought on.

To the top

Joe Hart (politician)

Joe Hart is the current Arizona state mine inspector. A Republican, he was first elected in 2006 as a former state representative and broadcast company owner.

To the top

Rhys Evans

Rhys Karl Evans (born 27 January 1982) is an English footballer who plays for Bradford City. He is a goalkeeper. Born in Swindon, Wiltshire, he began his career with Chelsea, where he stayed five years without playing a game, but had loan spells at three other clubs. In 2003, he moved to his hometown club Swindon Town, where he ended up playing more than 100 games in three seasons. In his final season at Swindon, he won all the club's player of the season awards, but following their relegation to Football League Two, he turned down a new contract offer and instead signed for Blackpool. However, he fell out of favour after less than a year with Blackpool, and initially moved to Bradford City on loan, before he returned to London, with Millwall on a short-term contract. After his contract was not extended, he returned to Bradford City.

Evans started his career in 1998 at Chelsea, with whom he stayed until he was released 2003. During his time at the club he was sent out on loan to Bristol Rovers in February 2000, with whom he played four games; Queens Park Rangers from November 2001 to April 2002, making eleven appearances; and Leyton Orient from August to November 2002, playing seven games. He also had a spell on trial with A.F.C. Bournemouth before the start of the 2002–03 season, where he impressed, but instead opted to join Leyton Orient.

In August 2003, Evans attracted interest from another Premier League club Bolton Wanderers, but instead joined his local club, Swindon Town, on a free transfer. He made his debut for the club on 12 August 2003, in a League Cup match at Southend United, which Swindon won 3–2. His league debut came on 30 August 2003, in a 2–2 draw against Blackpool. He remained the club's first-choice goalkeeper for the rest of the 2003–04 season, missing just one match with a back injury. The following season, 2004–05, Evans remained the club's first-choice goalkeeper until April 2005 when he was dropped for the first time after a match against Luton Town, although he was installed back in the team after just one match out. With his contract running out at the end of the season he turned down a move to Leeds United and instead signed a one-year contract extension with Swindon.

The 2005–06 season began for Evans with a knee injury, when he was forced to play early matches in pain as the club had no back-up goalkeeper available. When Swindon signed Tom Heaton on loan from Manchester United until 2 January 2006, it allowed Evans to have exploratory surgery on the knee. He also spent time at Lilleshall rehabilitation centre before his comeback to the first team in late 2005, when he again established himself. The season ended in relegation for Swindon Town to Football League Two, and Evans won a clean sweep of all the club's "player of the season" awards.

With his contract again up at the end of the season, new Swindon manager Dennis Wise, offered Evans a one-year contract, which Evans turned down as he wished to play at a higher level than League Two. On 1 July 2006, he signed a two-year contract with Blackpool on a free transfer.

Evans made 39 consecutive appearances in the 2006–07 league season. On 27 February 2006, he was dropped by Blackpool manager Simon Grayson in favour of then on-loan Paul Rachubka for a match at Oldham Athletic, in which Rachubka kept a clean sheet in a 1–0 win. In April 2007, Evans picked up a hernia injury that required surgery. This kept him out of the side until May. Both the on-loan Rachubka and Blackpool's third-choice keeper, Lewis Edge, also suffered concurrent injuries, which led to Blackpool bringing in Manchester City's Joe Hart on loan as an emergency stand-in.

Following promotion to the Football League Championship Rachubka, who by then had signed permanently for the club, remained the first-choice goalkeeper. Evans' only appearances in the first part of the 2007–08 season came in the League Cup against Premier League club Derby County on 28 August 2007, which Blackpool won on penalties after the game ended 2–2 in extra time, and then in the next round of the same competition against Southend United which Blackpool won 2–1 after extra time.

On 5 October 2007, Blackpool sent Evans on a month's loan to League Two club Bradford City in order to help him resurrect his career. He made his debut for Bradford against Milton Keynes Dons, his first start in the league since February. However, after just four games, he returned to Blackpool following an injury to his left shoulder, sustained in a 1–1 draw with Grimsby Town on 27 October 2007. While he was at Bradford, Evans had created controversy after publicly criticising the Blackpool fans in an interview with the Telegraph & Argus. He was warned by Blackpool manager Simon Grayson that he would have to accept "whatever comes his way" when he returned to Blackpool.

On 22 January 2008, Evans signed for Millwall on a free transfer until the end of the 2007–08 season. He conceded two late goals on his Millwall debut as they lost a two-goal lead to draw 2–2 with Nottingham Forest. Evans played 21 league games and one FA Cup game for Millwall during the season, and although Millwall eventually avoided relegation, manager Kenny Jackett decided not to extend Evans' contract beyond the 2007–08 season.

In July 2008, he was given another chance to shine at Bradford City when he was offered a trial by manager Stuart McCall. He played several pre-season friendlies, before he signed a one-year contract on 1 August 2008 ahead of the 2008–09 season. Evans made his debut in the opening game of the season as City won 2&nash;1 against Notts County when he pulled off a number of saves to ensure victory. He was a regular in the City side ahead of understudy Jonathan McLaughlin and earned praise from his manager McCall for one save against Rotherham United, which earned comparison to one made by former England international David Seaman. At the turn of the year, Evans kept four consecutive clean sheets—one short of a club record—before he conceded a deflected free-kick against Accrington Stanley. The run of form prompted Evans to seek a longer contract with the club. The 2008–09 season also saw Evans break his personal record for clean sheets in a season. Evans was an ever present in the City team during league and cup and was expected to miss his first game in February after he injured his thigh in a game against Darlington. However, after reserve keeper Jonathan McLaughlin suffered concussion in a reserve game, Evans continued to play with a thigh strain.

Evans represtened England at Under 18 and Under 20 level, before he made his debut for the England Under 21 team in 2003 against Serbia and Montenegro but was stretchered off with a back injury to be replaced by Stephen Bywater. In September 2003, he declined a second chance to play for the Under 21s preferring to work on establishing himself as Swindon Town first-choice goalkeeper.

To the top

Glyn Thompson

Replace this image male.svg

Glyn Thompson (born 24 February 1981 in Shrewsbury, Shropshire) is an English footballer who is currently with Newport County. He plays as a goalkeeper and his previous club was Hereford United.

Shrewsbury is his hometown club, where he began his career as a youth player. He got his senior début as a 19-year-old under manager Jake King, in a 3-0 away win over Torquay United on the last day of the 1998-99 Division Three season. He made one more appearance for the club — a 3-0 League Cup defeat to Sheffield United — before joining Fulham for a £50,000 fee in October 1999.

Fulham sent him on loan to Mansfield Town January 2000. He made 16 appearances (with 5 clean sheets) before his loan spell ended in May of that year. Shrewsbury was again his next club, but he was only drafted in on loan as cover, and didn't play.

He spent three months on loan to Northampton Town and made 10 league appearances. Northampton made the move permanent, but Thompson was only to start eight more league matches in the following two years. Chesterfield of League One bought him on a free transfer in March 2005.

A 1-1 draw with Swindon Town on the final day of the 2004-05 season was his only match for the Derbyshire club. Before the 2005-06 season began, Thompson rejoined The Shrews. He spent the whole season as second-choice keeper behind Joe Hart and as a result opted to leave at the season's end, in order to find first-team action. On June 29 he signed for Hereford United.

Shortly after his arrival at Edgar Street, he picked up an injury and so missed out on the opportunity to play when first choice keeper Wayne Brown was injured in the first league game. When he recovered from his injury, loanee Scott Tynan was preferred as first choice keeper until the return of Brown. Glyn made only one appearance for the first team in the 2006-07 season. This came in the JP Trophy against his former club Shrewsbury, and he also appeared for the reserves and in the HFA Senior Cup. He was released at the end of the season.

In July 2007 he signed for Newport County who play in the Blue Square Conference South.

To the top

Paul Rachubka

Paul Stephen Rachubka (surname pronounced ra-HUB-ka) (born 21 May 1981) is an American-English professional football goalkeeper. He currently plays for English club Blackpool, to whom he was on loan for part of the 2006-07 season.

Born in San Luis Obispo, California, United States to an English mother and an American father, Rachubka possesses dual nationality, having moved to England with his family when he was seven years old.

Despite being born in the United States, Rachubka began his career in England, signing as a youngster for Manchester United. He only made one first-team appearance in his two years at the club. During his time there, Rachubka was loaned out to Manchester United's Belgian feeder club, Royal Antwerp and to lower-division English team Oldham Athletic.

Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson was willing to sell him, and when Charlton Athletic bid £200,000 it proved too good to turn down for a player who was essentially an untested goalkeeper. Whilst at Charlton, Rachubka was loaned out to a number of clubs including Burnley, Huddersfield Town and Northampton Town. After his contract expired with the London club, Rachubka took the option to re-sign for one of his old clubs, Huddersfield Town, in 2004. Rachubka was the first-choice goalkeeper at the Galpharm Stadium until Matt Glennon was signed during summer 2006 and seized his chance.

Rachubka was taken on loan to Peterborough United as cover for Mark Tyler and played four League Two matches over the Christmas/New Year period of 2006-07. On 31 January 2007, he went on loan to Blackpool as back-up for Rhys Evans, the ninth loan move of his career. He made his debut for Blackpool on 27 February 2007 and kept a clean sheet in a 1-0 win at Oldham Athletic.

On 2 April 2007, Rachubka was named in the Press Association's League One "Team of the Week", alongside Blackpool teammate Wes Hoolahan. Also in April, Rachubka picked up an injury that kept him out of the team until early May. Blackpool's other 'keepers, Rhys Evans and Lewis Edge, also picked up injuries at the same time, which led to Seasiders boss Simon Grayson bringing in Manchester City's Joe Hart on loan as an emergency stand-in.

Rachubka returned to the Blackpool first team on 13 May 2007, for the first leg of the play-off semi-final against Oldham Athletic. Blackpool won both legs, and Rachubka played in the 27 May final at the newly-renovated Wembley Stadium. Blackpool won 2-0 against Yeovil Town, gaining promotion to The Championship. On 5 June 2007, five days after his contract at Huddersfield expired, Blackpool signed him on a permanent two-year deal at Bloomfield Road. Rachubka was one of two ever-present players during Blackpool's 2007–08 league season, the other being Shaun Barker.

Rachubka has represented England at U-16, U-18 and U-20 level.

He was in the England U-20 team that played at the 1999 FIFA World Youth Championship alongside Stuart Taylor, Ashley Cole, Peter Crouch and Andy Johnson. However, the team finished bottom of their the group, with three defeats without scoring. Rachubka started the last game against Japan U-20.

On 5 November 2008 Rachubka confirmed that he had enquired whether he was eligible to play international football for the United States.

To the top

Lewis Edge

Lewis John Spencer Edge (born 12 January 1987 in Lancaster, Lancashire) is an English professional footballer who plays as a goalkeeper for Morecambe.

Prior to his football career, Edge played cricket for Morecambe Cricket Club. After numerous match-saving performances, he was recruited by Cumberland County Cricket Club, and played a part in their victory over Lancashire County Cricket Club. Edge was awarded the man-of-the-match award in the victory over Lancashire. Before joining the world of football, Edge was rated as one of the best young wicket keepers/batsmen in the country.

His father, David Edge, was a wicket keeper/batsman and goalkeeper. He is the current club physio at Morecambe F.C.

When he made his debut as a 16-year-old for Blackpool's reserve team on 21 August 2003, he was still playing cricket for Morecambe, and he made his first-team debut for Blackpool on 8 May 2004, whilst still a member of Blackpool's youth team, against Bristol City. Although Blackpool lost the match, Edge denied Lee Peacock three times and he won the man-of-the-match award. Since then, Edge has had to wait in the reserve team, with the odd appearance for the first team. On 18 January 2005, Edge, who was still a member of the club's youth team, made his debut in the FA Cup against Leicester City when Brad Jones, on loan from Middlesbrough, was cup-tied and both Kevin Stuhr Ellegaard and Lee Jones were unfit. It was also his first appearance for the first team at Bloomfield Road.

On 17 February 2006, Edge went on loan to Conference North club, Worksop Town, on work experience with his due to continue training with Blackpool but play for Worksop. However, after just one match he returned to Blackpool on 22 February after Worksop received clearance for Andy Jeffery to play.

In March 2006 Edge received his first professional contract when he was one of four youth-squad players offered one-year contracts with an option for a further year. He went on loan to Rochdale in July 2006, initially until January 2007, but he was recalled on 18 August after an injury to Blackpool's Lee Jones. He also had a short loan spell at Bury who he signed for on loan on 14 October 2006. He was recalled after just over two weeks, on 31 October.

He then returned on loan to Rochdale on 31 January 2007, until the end of the season, but he was recalled again on 29 March.

In April 2007, Edge suffered ligament damage that prevented him from getting some first-team games under his belt after concurrent injuries to Blackpool's other goalkeepers, Rhys Evans and then on-loan Paul Rachubka. Blackpool manager Simon Grayson brought in Manchester City's Joe Hart on loan as an emergency stand-in. On 29 May he received the club's "Young Player of the Year" award at Blackpool's annual presentation night held at Bloomfield Road. On 25 January 2008, he signed a one-month loan deal with Conference National club Northwich Victoria. On 7 May he was released by Blackpool.

On 21 October 2008 Edge signed for League Two club Morecambe on a two month contract, joining his father at the club. He was an unused substitute later that day as the Shrimps lost 3-1 to Brentford at Griffin Park.

To the top

Shrewsbury Town F.C.

Shrewsbury Town's emblem

Shrewsbury Town Football Club are an English football club based at Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England. They are in Football League Two, the fourth tier of English football, and have played in all the bottom three rungs in various guises.

The club was promoted back to the Football League in 2004 at the first attempt, when they won the Conference playoff final. They had been relegated into the conference national from what was then the Third Division (fourth tier) in 2003. In 2006-07, they reached the first play-off final at the new Wembley Stadium, losing 3-1 to Bristol Rovers. They finished 2007–08 18th, drawing 1-1 on the final day with Rochdale.

The reserve squad play in the Central League Division One Central. They are currently on course to win said league.

Shrewsbury Town were formed in May 1886, indirectly following the demise of Castle Blues. The Blues were a rough team, leading to their demise after several games were marred by violence. The new team hoped to be as successful but without the notoriety. Press reports differ as to the date the new club was formed, The Eddowes Shropshire Journal of 26 May 1886 reported the birth of the club at the Lion Hotel, Wyle Cop, Shrewsbury. Shrewsbury Chronicle reported the club's being formed at the Turf Hotel, Claremont Hill, Shrewsbury. It may be both accounts are true, with a get-together at the Lion being finalised at the Turf.

After friendlies and regional cup competitions for the first few seasons, Shrewsbury were founder members of the Shropshire & District League in 1890-91, later admitted to the Birmingham & District League in 1895-96. Many of the teams Town faced in the early days have vanished, however Shrewsbury met many of today’s Football League and Conference teams, including Crewe Alexandra, Coventry City, Stoke City, Kidderminster Harriers and Stafford Rangers.

In 1910, Shrewsbury looked to move to a new ground, having spent early years at locations across the town, notably at Copthorne barracks west of the town. The club moved to Gay Meadow d on the edge of the town centre, within sight of Shrewsbury Abbey and stayed 97 years.

Shrewsbury’s Birmingham League days were mostly mid-table, with a few seasons challenging near the top, the club being league champions in 1922-23.

A move to the Midland Champions League in 1937-38 saw enjoy one of its most successful seasons, winning a league and cup treble. Shrewsbury were league champions, scoring 111 goals . In addition, the Welsh Cup was won following a replay, the team enjoyed a run in the FA Cup, and won the Shropshire Senior Cup.

After a run of good seasons in post-war years, Shrewsbury were admitted to the old Division 3 (North) of the Football League in 1950, after being Midland League champions in 1949-50.

Shrewsbury Town were elected to the Football League Division 3 North in 1950 following the decision to expand from 88 to 92 clubs. Shrewsbury were then promoted to the Third Division in 1958-59. They remained in the third tier 15 years, slipping back to Division Four at the end of 1973-74.

This era was remembered for Arthur Rowley. He arrived from Leicester City in 1958, the club's first player/manager. During his playing and managerial career, he broke Dixie Dean's goal-scoring record, scoring his 380th league goal against Bradford City at Valley Parade on April 29, 1961. Retiring from playing in 1965 he remained manager until July 1968.

Shrewsbury were promoted to the Third Division in 1974-75 as runners-up, before another successful season in 1978-79, when they were league champions under Ritchie Barker and later Graham Turner. Over 14,000 fans packed Gay Meadow on May 17, 1979 to see Shrewsbury seal promotion with a 2-1 win over Exeter City. In addition, the club had an FA Cup run, which included a 2-0 win over Manchester City at Gay Meadow in the third round, eventually being beaten 3-1 at home by Wolverhampton Wanderers in a sixth round replay.

The most successful manager is Graham Turner, who won the Third Division Championship in 1978-79 - his first season in charge - and took the club into the Second Division for the first time. They remained for ten years, although Turner departed for Aston Villa in 1984.

The club enjoyed some great times in the FA Cup in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Shrewsbury repeated their 1979 feat of reaching the quarter-final in 1981-82. The fifth round game was particularly memorable, as Shrewsbury were drawn to face UEFA Cup holders Ipswich Town for the second year (Ipswich previously winning 3-0 in a fifth round replay). Ipswich were one of Europe's top teams. Shrewsbury won 2-1 with goals from Steve Cross and Jake King, Mich D'Avray scoring for the visitors. Following this win, Shrewsbury faced Leicester City at Filbert Street in the quarter final. With the game 2-2 at half time, Shrewsbury were 45 minutes from a semi-final appearance, but Leicester, having used three goalkeepers and including a young Gary Lineker in their line up, eventually ran out 5-2 winners.

The 1980s are the golden age for Shrewsbury Town. Many big teams were defeated by Shrewsbury, whose period in the old Second Division coincided with some of the current Premiership clubs' darkest days. During the 1980s, Fulham, Newcastle United, Blackburn Rovers and Chelsea lost to Shrewsbury Town. Middlesbrough F.C. were defeated at Gay Meadow at the end of 1985-86, Shrewsbury winning 2-1, relegating Middlesbrough, who went out of business and almost out of existence. The match was marred by violence from Middlesbrough fans, with many Teessiders later having to return to Shrewsbury for court appearances.

In the early to mid-1980s the club enjoyed its most successful Football League run. Shrewsbury survived through the sale of players, with some to have played for Shrewsbury including Steve Ogrizovic, David Moyes, John McGinlay and Bernard McNally.

After a couple of relegation scares, Shrewsbury's Second Division life ended at the end of 1988-89 after ten years. As the 1990s dawned, the club were unable to make a quick return to the Second Division, spending the early 1990s mid-table. In the Third Division, on 22 December 1990, Gary Shaw scored the quickest Town hat trick - 4 minutes and 32 seconds - against Bradford City at Valley Parade. At the end of 1991-92, three years after relegation to the Third Division, the club was relegated to the Fourth — the first time since 1975.

However, two seasons later Shrewsbury won the new (fourth tier) Division Three championship under Fred Davies in 1993-94, and remained in Division Two (third tier) three seasons. Shrewsbury were not to rise any further, remaining mid-table before slipping down again at the end of 1996-97.

The 1990s saw Shrewsbury make their first appearance at Wembley as finalists in the 1996 Auto Windscreens Shield final (now the Johnstone's Paint Trophy). Shrewsbury lost 2-1 to Rotherham United; Nigel Jemson scoring both Millers goals.

The Wembley final was the beginning of the end for Fred Davies, sacked at the end of the 1996-97 relegation season. By this time, Shrewsbury were less of a force, heading to a stale period. Dwindling crowds meant Shrewsbury didn't have the finances to compete and it was in this backdrop that Jake King arrived, following a successful reign at local rivals Telford United. A successful Shrewsbury player during the 1980s, King was well regarded by fans and the chairman, businessman Roland Wycherley. For Wycherley, the priority was to assure Shrewsbury's financial future, before increasing the club's profile and finally to ensure the club's move to a new ground. King was forced to work on one of the smallest playing budgets in the league. He worked with the club's youth set-up, bringing in promising non-league players. However, with the pick of the transfer market finding better offers elsewhere, Shrewsbury were to see out the 1990s in mediocre fashion.

In the 1999-2000 , Shrewsbury endured a poor season, with King being sacked in November as the club flirted with relegation. Former Everton captain and Welsh international Kevin Ratcliffe was appointed manager steered the club from relegation on the final day of 1999-2000]]. With the club facing relegation to the Conference, a 2-1 victory away to Exeter City kept the club in the league, after Carlisle United and Chester City both lost, Chester being relegated.

Ratcliffe worked on improving the side. Former youth team and reserve player Luke Rodgers emerged as a regular goal-scorer, and with big names arriving at Shrewsbury, the team looked on the up, narrowly missing the 2001-02 league playoffs despite 70 points.

At the start of 2002-03, Shrewsbury were on the up, with a youthful team strengthened by Ian Woan, Nigel Jemson and Mark Atkins. However, despite an encouraging start, league form suffered, including away defeats to Boston United, Rushden & Diamonds and Cambridge United, Town conceding 16 goals across the three matches as they remained in the bottom half of the table.

A sideshow was an FA Cup run. After dispatching non-league sides Stafford Rangers and Barrow A.F.C., Shrewsbury were at home to Everton in the third round. Town won in front of 7,800. A first-half free kick from Nigel Jemson gave Town the lead at the interval, however an equaliser from Niclas Alexandersson appeared to send the tie to a replay at Goodison Park. However, with minutes left, from a free kick by Ian Woan, Jemson heading in the cross to give Town 2-1 victory. For Shrewsbury fans, a notable point was the performance of Shrewsbury's Peter Wilding. A former Sunday League defender from local leagues, Wilding kept Wayne Rooney marked. Wilding was also one to escape criticism later.

Chelsea were the fourth round visitors, in a televised match on BBC's Match of the Day. Town lost 4-0, with Gianfranco Zola the man of the match.

A near capacity crowd of 7,950 turned up for Chelsea, but from then form disappeared. The team won just twice in the league thereafter. Jemson, who split opinions; was a scapegoat, (Jemson was once in an argument mid-match with a Shrewsbury fan), with Ian Woan another singled out, being booed off after being substituted in his final Shrewsbury appearance. That was against Carlisle United, a 3-2 defeat relegating Shrewsbury. Seven points adrift at the bottom and having conceded 92 goals, the club contemplated the end of their 53 years in the league. Following angry demonstrations from fans, Ratcliffe resigned, and Mark Atkins took temporary charge for the club final League game, a 2-1 defeat to Scunthorpe United, who were coincidentally the first League opponents for Shrewsbury Town back in 1950.

After some speculation, Northwich Victoria manager Jimmy Quinn was appointed Shrewsbury manager in May 2003, with the aim of getting Shrewsbury promoted back to the Football League at the first attempt. For the first time in many years, Shrewsbury were seen as the 'big fish' in the league, with many experts predicting a league victory. With most of the previous year's players released, Quinn assembled a whole new squad, with experienced non-league players such as Darren Tinson and Jake Sedgemore being joined by Colin Cramb, Scott Howie and former League Cup finalist Martin O'Connor.

On the field, a new-look Shrewsbury side seemed to have the desire that the previous side lacked, but at times lacked consistency. Thrilling matches, such as a 4-1 home victory over Hereford United, were tempered by some embarrassing results, including a 5-0 away defeat to Dagenham & Redbridge and two away defeats to local rivals Telford United, both in the league and the FA Trophy. However, as the season went on, the side were able to grind out some decent results. The league title went to Chester City, but with 74 points, Shrewsbury finished third in the league, comfortably qualifying for the league playoffs, the first time the club had ever qualified for a playoff competition.

In the semi-finals, Shrewsbury faced Barnet over two legs. The opening leg at Underhill saw Shrewsbury lose 2-1, with Barnet scoring an injury time winner. Over 7,000 saw the return match at Gay Meadow, a match that was televised live on Sky Sports. Shrewsbury drew level on aggregate following a Luke Rodgers penalty. With the teams level after extra-time, Scott Howie saved a penalty from Barnet's Simon Clist, and Darren Moss scored the winning penalty, setting Shrewsbury for the Conference playoff final against Aldershot Town, at the neutral venue of the Britannia Stadium, home of Stoke City.

The final against Aldershot, on Sunday 16 May 2004 saw 19,216 fans visit the Britannia Stadium, two third of those being Shrewsbury fans making the short journey up the A53. In glorious sunny weather, the two teams played out a rather dull 1-1 draw, and after both teams blew their chance to win the match in injury time, the game went to penalties.

Striker Luke Rodgers, seemingly a banker to score a penalty stepped up, but inexplicably blasted his shot high over the bar. With Shrewsbury fans anxiously looking on, Shrewsbury goalkeeper Scott Howie earned himself a place in Shrewsbury folklore as he saved three consecutive Aldershot penalties. Shrewsbury converted their remaining penalties, defender Trevor Challis scored the winning penalty and began the celebrations, which began at Stoke, and continued in Shrewsbury for weeks. It may not have been glorious, but by sheer hard work, Shrewsbury were back in the Football League.

For many supporters, the Conference season splits opinion. Many remember it as somewhat of an exciting 'adventure', one of the few seasons in recent years where Shrewsbury have been one of the bigger teams in the league, plus a memorable final victory. Others however, whilst grateful of the success, see the Conference season as something of an embarrassment, feeling that the club should never have been relegated in the first place.

Unfortunately for Shrewsbury, the optimism from the play-off final victory soon evaporated. An opening day 1-0 defeat to Lincoln City was an indicator of what was to come, as Shrewsbury were to flirt with the relegation places and were defeated in the FA Cup first round by Histon. In the eyes of most fans, Jimmy Quinn was not up to the job, and departed after just 14 league games, being replaced by former Preston manager Gary Peters. Peters came to Gay Meadow with a modest but at the same time impressive track record, including a spell as Preston manager during the mid 1990s, during which he signed David Beckham as a loan player. After nearly saving Exeter City from relegation in 2002-03, he resigned and was working as a scout for Everton before taking up the Shrewsbury job.

With the club seemingly on a downward spiral back to the Conference, Peters was able to stem the slide, and preserved Shrewsbury's football league status in the 2004-05 Coca-Cola League Two campaign. Since, Peters has looked to strengthen the side, transforming the side from one that was favourites for relegation in 2004-05, to one that are seen as realistic promotion candidates. Many pundits saw Shrewsbury as relegation favourites in the 2005-06 season, but despite a poor start, Peters was able to guide the team to a tenth place finish, narrowly missing the play-offs.

Off the field, Shrewsbury, for so long one of the smaller, least funded teams in the league, had cause to look to the future with optimism. The Shrewsbury Town board, headed by Roland Wycherley, was starting to see their policy of sound financial management pay off, with the club more solvent than many of its rivals. The recent FA cup run, subsequent fall-out from the Ratcliffe era and the solitary season in the Conference had galvanised local support, and attendances were on the increase.

And finally, after a drawn-out, and sometimes bitter planning process stretching as far back as 1999, Shrewsbury's plans to move ground came to fruition, as Wycherly ceremoniously cut the first sod of soil at the New Meadow in the summer of 2006.

Despite the departure of talented young goalkeeper Joe Hart to Manchester City, Shrewsbury entered the 2006-07 season as promotion hopefuls in their final year at Gay Meadow. However the home ground was to wreak havoc with the opening part of Shrewsbury's season, poor weather leading to the ground being flooded and several matches being called off. With several matches in hand due to the cancellations, the club were as low as 16th in the table by February 2007, but with the team going on an impressive 14 match unbeaten run, they were in play-off contention by the end of the season.

Following a 2-2 draw against Grimsby Town in the final League match to be held at Gay Meadow, Shrewsbury finished in seventh place and thus qualified for the play-offs. Shrewsbury faced Milton Keynes Dons over two legs, following a goalless draw at the Gay Meadow, they beat MK Dons 2-1 on their return fixture at the National Hockey Stadium, thus winning 2-1 on aggregate.

The team faced Bristol Rovers in the League Two play-off final on May 26, 2007 at the new Wembley Stadium. However, despite an early goal, Bristol Rovers were strong opponents and hit back with two first half goals. A late Sammy Igoe goal made it 3-1 to Bristol Rovers, sealing their victory.

The club moved to the New Meadow stadium for the 2007-08 season. After an encouraging early start which began with a 4-0 win away to Lincoln City, Shrewsbury were amongst the league leaders, however a 4-3 home defeat to Rochdale started an alarming nosedive in form from which the side never recovered. Following pressure from supporters, manager Gary Peters left the club on 3 March 2008 by mutual consent. Paul Simpson was appointed as the new manager on a 3 year contract on 12 March, and was able to guide the club to an eventual 18th place finish in the league. On 21 July the club announced that it had secured a deal with kit manufacturer Prostar for the naming rights of the stadium, which saw the club's Oteley Road stadium officially re-named as 'The Prostar Stadium'.

To date the 2008/9 season has seen Shrewsbury make a successful start, with the club running amongst the leading clubs in League Two. Home form has largely been excellent, with the team winning an unprecedented number of games with a high goal margin, including a 4-0 win over Macclesfield Town on the opening day of the season, and a record-equalling 7-0 league win over Gillingham. Shrewsbury have progressed to the latter stages of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy, following a 7-0 away win at Wycombe Wanderers, and 5-0 home win against Dagenham and Redbridge. However the club's indifferent FA Cup form of recent years did not improve as they lost away to a non-league side for the second time in five years, being beaten 3-1 by Blyth Spartans in the first round.

The main movers out for Town in the January 2009 Transfer window, were that of Marc Tierney, Scott Bevan and David Hunt. Loanees Matthew Gilks, Joss Labadie and Jamie White all went back to their respective clubs. Labadie was released of his 28 emergency loan as he injured his foot in training. Gilks had finished his loan spell, and White was recalled by Southampton as they had a shortage of players.

The departure of Tierney was seen to be a rather unhappy affair, however both parties felt it was time to move on. Bevan was enjoying himself down on the south coast at Torquay United and was sold to the Gulls for an undisclosed fee. The case with Hunt was much in the same as Tierney and was released by mutual consent.

The only players out on loan in January were the continuation of James Constable's and James Meredith's spells at Oxford United and AFC Telford United respectively.

On 9 January, a signing had been made. Nick Chadwick was signed on loan from Hereford United until the end of the 2008-09 season. Rumours circulated at the game away to Bradford City on the 3 January, that Ben Davies was to be sold to Wolverhampton Wanderers for a fee in excess of £500,000. This turned out later to be completely false. Elsewhere, BBC Radio Lancashire reported that the Shrews had an offer accepted for £150,000 by Preston North End for Karl Hawley and Brett Ormerod. No official word from either Preston or Shrewsbury has been made about this claim.

The club's colours have always featured blue. However, blue has not always been the most dominant colour. Early kits included blue and white stripes, quartered shirts and all-blue shirts, which were worn with either white or amber trim until 1978. In 1978 Shrewsbury's most famous kit was introduced - the blue and amber stripes, which they wore as they were promoted in successive seasons, up to the old second division (now the Football League Championship). This was the design famously seen in the movie This Is Spinal Tap.

The club was not loyal to the stripes for long, and in 1982 reverted to a blue shirt, then used a blue body with amber sleeves, later reverting to an amber body with blue sleeves. In 1987 the shirts radically changed to white shirts for four seasons before reverting to stripes in 1991-92. After a flamboyant abstract pattern on the shirts in 1992-93, Shrewsbury's kits have stayed mostly blue, with amber stripe(s) of some description evident since 1999.

The shirt sponsors have, since their introduction in 1982, all been local companies. The current shirt sponsor is a major local motor dealership network, Greenhous. The away strip is sponsored by Redhous, a property company forming part of the Greenhous group.

In 2008, the club announced a deal with sportswear firm ProStar to supply the club's playing kit and training wear. The deal also sees ProStar acquire naming rights to Shrewsbury's stadium.

Arguably the club's fiercest rivals include Wrexham, Walsall and Wolverhampton Wanderers whom despite not playing league derbies against them for over 20 years, memories of the 1979 F.A. Cup Quarter Final tie spring to mind. Traditionally, Walsall were seen as the club's major rivals, although in recent years near-neighbours Wrexham are often seen as the fiercest rivals. Other rivals include Hereford United, Chester City and finally A.F.C. Telford United, with whom Shrewsbury regularly meet with in the Shropshire Senior Cup final.

Although the two clubs are not traditionally fierce rivals, Kidderminster Harriers are also considered a derby team, however they dropped out of the Football League in the 2004-05 season.

In 2007 the club moved to a newly-built stadium on the outskirts of Shrewsbury, which has a 9,875 all-seater capacity. It was provisionally called the New Meadow during the 2007-08 season, however the ground is now officially known as 'The ProStar Stadium' as part of a sponsorship deal.

The 2006-07 season was the last season at the club's old Gay Meadow ground, which had been home to the club for 97 years. The final league match at the Gay Meadow was a 2-2 draw against Grimsby Town on 5 May 2007. Shrewsbury Town qualified for the 2006-07 League 2 playoffs, and as a result the final competitive senior match was a 0-0 draw against MK Dons.

Former Town player Arthur Rowley is famous for being the Football League's all-time top goal-scorer, and holds the club's single-season and all time scoring records. Mickey Brown holds the club record for most appearances, accumulated during three spells.

Several Shrewsbury players have gone onto, or came from prominent top-flight careers. These include current and former top-flight managers David Moyes, Gordon Lee, David Pleat and Gary Megson. International stars John McGinlay, Jimmy Quinn, Jimmy McLoughlin, Mickey Thomas, Carl Robinson and Neville Southall all spent time at Shrewsbury.

More recently, Premier League winner Mark Atkins spent later seasons of his career at Shrewsbury, as did Nottingham Forest duo Nigel Jemson and Ian Woan. Coventry City stalwart Steve Ogrizovic was previously a Shrewsbury player. Two notable recent departees are Shrewsbury-born duo of England U21 goalkeeper Joe Hart, who joined Manchester City in the summer of 2006, and Welsh International David Edwards who joined Luton Town in June 2007.

In addition to Hart and Edwards, Shrewsbury have given opportunities to many young local players, who have forged successful professional careers. Bernard McNally was a local star in the 1980s, with two other local players, Kevin Seabury and Peter Wilding being fan favourites at the club in the 1990s. The latest Shrewsbury-born star at their home town club is Steve Leslie, who having successfully moved up from the club's youth academy, is attempting to break into the first team on a regular basis. Veteran striker Andy Cooke was born and raised in Shrewsbury, and supported the club as a boy, but forged his career elsewhere after being rejected as a trainee.

In 2004, BBC's Football Focus ran polls to determine club's cult heroes, and Dean Spink was named as Shrewsbury's cult hero, ahead of Steve Anthrobus and Austin Berkley.

To the top

Andreas Isaksson

Andreas Isaksson IPA: ; born 3 October 1981, in Trelleborg) is a Swedish football goalkeeper who currently plays for Dutch club PSV and for the Swedish national team.

Isaksson started his career with his hometown team Trelleborg, where he played two seasons 1998 and 1999. He became known as a great goalkeeping prospect and was thus bought by Italian giants Juventus in 1999, but with the likes of Dutch international goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar in the squad, Isaksson never played a first-team game for the Turin club.

In 2001, he signed with Swedish team Djurgården in order to play first-team football. In his first two full seasons, 2002 and 2003, Djurgården won two straight Swedish titles as well as the cup in 2002. He was voted best Swedish goalkeeper for four consecutive years from 2002 to 2005.

In July 2004, French club Rennes signed him, where he became the starting goalkeeper. Fellow former Djurgården player Kim Källström also played at the club. During his time at Rennes, Isaksson caught the eye of many clubs in Europe for his amazing shot stopping ability.

After an impressive World Cup 2006 performance, he completed a £2 million move to Manchester City of the Premier League on 15 August 2006. He was expected to replace David James as their first choice keeper, but due to knee and ankle injuries and the form of Nicky Weaver, he did not make his debut until 9 December 2006, when he replaced the injured Weaver in a Manchester derby match. After his second start for City on 14 March 2007, he played all of the remaining ten games of 2006-07, keeping four clean sheets, and saving a penalty kick from Jermain Defoe on the last day of the season.

Isaksson played the majority of Manchester City's next pre-season campaign in Sweden and Belgium, but after his thumb was fractured in a training session, he did not play for City in the first two months of 2007-08, picking up a knee injury right afterwards. Isaksson made his 07/08 debut for Manchester City by keeping a clean sheet against Bolton in the Carling Cup, on 31 October 2007. In November and December he had a run of five league games in the first team, as part of a rotation used by manager Sven-Göran Eriksson to decide upon his first-choice goalkeeper. However, he has since lost his starting place due to injury to youth keeper, Joe Hart who has managed to establish himself as City's first choice goalkeeper.

In January 2008, Turkish club Galatasaray attempted to take the Swede on loan, but the move was canceled due to Isaksson wanting a permanent move. This can only lead to the fact that he will choose to leave at the end of the season. Chelsea has reported that they are interested in Isaksson. Galatasaray have been linked with another move for Isaksson, which would link the Swede with his national teammate, Tobias Linderoth.

After weeks of transfer speculation, Isaksson signed for Champions League eligible Dutch champions PSV.

He took over the number 1 jersey from Heurelho Gomes who transferred to Tottenham Hotspur.

While at Djurgården, Isaksson established himself as the second-choice goalkeeper after Magnus Hedman for the Swedish national team, making his international debut against Switzerland in March 2002. Injury to Magnus Hedman allowed Isaksson the opportunity to play for Sweden on a regular basis, playing in all but one of Sweden's qualifying matches for Euro 2004, and all Sweden's matches during the tournament.

Isaksson has remained the first-choice goalkeeper for his national team since Euro 2004, making three appearances in the 2006 World Cup in Germany. An injury prevented him from playing in more games. By July 2006, he had amassed 42 caps for his country.

Isaksson was selected for Sweden's Euro 2008 squad, and appeared in all three of Sweden's group games. He kept a clean sheet in Sweden's first match against Greece, which ended 2-0, but Sweden were unable to reach the quarterfinals.

To the top

Source : Wikipedia