John Campbell

3.3927835051464 (970)
Posted by kaori 03/05/2009 @ 20:12

Tags : john campbell, the house, government, politics

News headlines
NJSS FILLIES TAKE FLIGHT FRIDAY NIGHT AT THE MEADOWLANDS - Standardbred Breeders and Owners Association of New Jersey
Driven by John Campbell, Precious Stone improved her record to five wins in 13 career starts. Brittany Farms and Daisy Acres bred and own the daughter of Western Ideal-Bewitching Jewell. She is trained by Richard Norman. Bulletproof Enterprises' 23-1...
Tapping the Last Keg at America's Most Remote Brewery - New West
In 1993, longtime homebrewer John Campbell converted his airplane hangar outside of Marion, just across the Lincoln County line, into a brewery. He sold his first beer the following year. Since then, with brews such as Tri-Motor Amber and Mandarin...
• Campbell enters Hall with Messier, Moon - Guelph Mercury
For those unfamiliar with the work of harness racing driver John Campbell, consider the stature of his fellow 2009 inductees into Canada's Sports Hall of Fame. On Nov. 3 in Toronto, Campbell will be inducted along with hockey great Mark Messier,...
One Fatality Linked to Tornados Near Kirksville - KBIA
One fatality is being linked to the reported tornados in Sullivan County near Milan. That's according to John Campbell with the state emergency management agency. Campbell says an elderly woman died when her trailer was hit by a tornado....
... on staff recruitment so that vacant positions are not being filled and when staff leave they are not being replaced, unless for operationally critical roles,” said Air Pacific chief executive John Campbell in response to our emailed questions....
Deputies announced for new commander - Clarksville Leaf Chronicle
John Campbell when he takes command of the 101st Airborne Division have been announced. Campbell was named in March as the next commander of the 101st. He will assume control in July, when Maj. Gen. Jeffrey J. Schloesser relinquishes command after...
'Terminator Salvation' director McG: 'I have a lot to prove' - Los Angeles Times
“I was doing my own Joseph Campbell or Batman experience, going into the cave with that which scares me most and trying to come out the other side and experiencing growth. I knew I was going to have to fly into the airport where it happened....
Epidemics shape and shake the world - Times and Transcript
Who were the parents of Mary Ann Campbell (c.1839, Lot 53, Cardigan Bay, PEI - 1928, Antigonish, NS)? In 1863, when Mary married Colin Macdonald of Georgeville, NS, her father was listed as John Campbell who delivered goods in the Antigonish area....
Sources on line in Campbell case -
By KERRY WILLIAMSON - The Dominion Post The image of broadcaster John Campbell standing in the witness box in the stolen Waiouru war medals case should send shivers down the spines of journalists, media law experts say. Campbell and Campbell Live...
Airline to raise free baggage allowance - Fiji Times
AIR Pacific will increase free baggage allowance from today, says airline chief executive John Campbell. In a statement yesterday Mr Campbell said the free baggage allowance were for adults and children in economy class on their flight routes between...

John Campbell (1795-1845)

John Campbell (unknown - May 19, 1845) was a U.S. Representative from South Carolina, brother of Robert Blair Campbell.

Born near Brownsville, Marlboro County, South Carolina, Campbell was graduated from South Carolina College (now the University of South Carolina) at Columbia in 1819. He studied law. He was admitted to the bar and commenced practice in Brownsville, South Carolina. He moved to Parnassus, Marlboro District, and continued the practice of law.

Campbell was elected as a Jacksonian to the Twenty-first Congress (March 4, 1829-March 3, 1831).

Campbell was elected as a Nullifier to the Twenty-fifth Congress and as a Democrat to the three succeeding Congresses (March 4, 1837-March 3, 1845). He served as chairman of the Committee on Elections (Twenty-sixth Congress), Committee on District of Columbia (Twenty-eighth Congress). He died in Parnassus (now Blenheim), Marlboro County, South Carolina, on May 19, 1845. He was interred in a private cemetery near Blenheim, South Carolina.

This article incorporates material obtained from the public domain Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.

To the top

John Campbell (broadcaster)

John Campbell (born 1964 in Wellington, New Zealand) is the presenter of Campbell Live, a primetime 7.00pm current affairs programme on TV3 in New Zealand.

Campbell graduated from Wellington College then Victoria University with a Bachelor of Arts degree with Honours, and then worked as a share trader, providing a share report to Radio New Zealand's Midday Report. In 1989, Radio New Zealand (RNZ) offered him a job as a business reporter. He had no journalism training, but RNZ ran a cadetship system which provided him with the experience he needed. He read the three-minute news bulletins on the hour for RNZ, and then moved to TV3 in 1991 as a general reporter in their Wellington newsroom. He moved to their political press gallery a year later.

In 1994 he moved to the 20/20 current affairs programme and later presented an interview/current events segment of 3 News. After John Hawkesby left 3 News in 1998, Campbell was asked to fill in, and he remained as the main 3 News weekday newsreader along with Carol Hirschfeld until 2005. He began the Campbell Live programme with Hirschfeld in March 2005.

Campbell and Hirschfeld made two series of the interview programme Home Truths, and in 2004 they made a twelve-part series touring New Zealand called A Queen's Tour, following the route of Queen Elizabeth's visit in 1953-1954. Campbell also hosted the Saturday Morning programme on Radio New Zealand for two years, from 2000-2002.

Campbell has won the Qantas Media Award for Best Investigative Current Affairs and for Best Presenter (twice), and the Best Presenter category for the New Zealand Film and Television Awards (twice). His interviewing style has led one Prime Minister to call him a "dork" and Helen Clark to call him a "little creep" after he confronted her live on air about a GE corn scandal, an interview she walked out of.

To the top

John Campbell (1765–1828)

John Campbell (September 11, 1765–June 23, 1828) was a United States Representative from Maryland. Born near Port Tobacco, he studied law and was admitted to the bar and practiced. He held several local offices and was a member of the Maryland State Senate for three years.

Campbell was elected as a Federalist to the Seventh and to the four succeeding Congresses, serving from March 4, 1801 to March 3, 1811. He was judge of the orphans’ court of Charles County. He died at "Charleston" farm, in Charles County; interment was in the private burying ground on the estate of Daniel Jenifer.

To the top

John Hamilton-Gordon, 1st Marquess of Aberdeen and Temair

His Excellency Lord Aberdeen

John Campbell Hamilton-Gordon, 1st Marquess of Aberdeen and Temair, KT, GCMG, GCVO, PC (3 August 1847–7 March 1934), styled the Hon. John Hamilton-Gordon until 1870 and the Earl of Aberdeen from 1870 to 1916, was a Scottish Liberal politician and colonial governor. He was Lord-Lieutenant of Ireland in 1886 and from 1905 to 1915 and Governor General of Canada from 1893 to 1898.

Hamilton-Gordon was born in 1847 in Edinburgh, the third son of the George Hamilton-Gordon, 5th Earl of Aberdeen, eldest surviving son of Prime Minister George Hamilton-Gordon, 4th Earl of Aberdeen. His mother was Mary, daughter of George Baillie and sister of Thomas Hamilton, 7th Earl of Haddington, and Lord Jerviswoode. He was educated at the University of St Andrews and University College, Oxford.

Aberdeen succeeded in the earldom on his eldest brother's death in 1870, assuming his seat in the House of Lords, where he was a close friend and supporter of the Prime Minister, William Gladstone. He gained experience in overseas administration when he served as Lord-Lieutenant of Ireland in Gladstone's brief 1886 administration. The latter year he was also sworn of the Privy Council. Lord Aberdeen became Lord-Lieutenant of Aberdeenshire in 1880, a post he held until 1934, and was Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland from 1881 to 1885 and in 1915. In 1881 Lord Aberdeen and his family took up residence in Dollis Hill House in London, where they often entertained William Gladstone.

Even before Lord Aberdeen became Governor General in 1893, he and his wife Lady Aberdeen, whom he had married in 1877, had fallen in love with Canada. They had taken a world tour in 1890, which included an extensive visit to Canada. The Aberdeens were so impressed with this country that they purchased Coldstream Ranch, located in the Okanagan Valley of British Columbia, in 1891. They named the ranch "Guisachan", after Lady Aberdeen's father's estate in Scotland, and the house stands to this day.

Lord Aberdeen was Governor General during a period of political transition, throughout the terms of four Prime Ministers – Sir John Thompson, Sir Mackenzie Bowell, Sir Charles Tupper and Sir Wilfrid Laurier. It was also an era of controversy marred by competing issues, from the abolition of separate French schools in Manitoba – which created a unity crisis (the Manitoba Schools Question) – to the completion of the Canadian Pacific Railway to the discovery of gold in the Yukon Territory. Lord Aberdeen was well equipped to take on the challenges of the position, with the experience and knowledge from his previous travels in Canada, and family history of success in this country – his father was instrumental in boundary negotiations between the United States and Canada.

When Laurier had won a clear majority in the 1896 election, Tupper initially refused to cede power, insisting that Laurier would be unable to form a government. However, when Tupper attempted to make appointments as prime minister, Aberdeen intervened, dismissing Tupper and inviting Laurier to form a government. Tupper maintained that Lord Aberdeen's actions were unconstitutional; history has supported Aberdeen's actions.

Above all, Lord Aberdeen believed that, as Governor General, he could improve the well being of Canadians generally, and he and Lady Aberdeen again travelled extensively throughout the country in an attempt to meet and talk with Canadians from all walks of life. This included a journey to the Maritimes where he met, among others, Dr. Alexander Graham Bell, as well as many inhabitants of Cape Breton Island who spoke Gaelic and were themselves from the highlands of Scotland. He also travelled west to meet with many people, including many First Nations peoples, and was made an honorary chief of both the Six Nations and Blackfoot people.

Lord and Lady Aberdeen were enthusiastic supporters of outdoor sport in Canada, and personally participated in curling, hockey and sleighing at Rideau Hall. Lord Aberdeen donated the gold Aberdeen Cup for championship golf in the Canadian Amateur Championship, which began in Ottawa in 1895, organized by the Royal Canadian Golf Association, for which he arranged royal designation. They also contributed to the social and cultural life of the capital by hosting a variety of balls and official dinners, and the Aberdeen family often participated in theatrical performances in the ballroom at Rideau Hall. In 1893, Lord and Lady Aberdeen had a chapel built at Rideau Hall, which was removed in 1912. Ottawa's Aberdeen Pavilion, built in 1898, was named in his honour and he presided over its opening.

Lord and Lady Aberdeen participated in the celebration of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee and the commemoration of various anniversaries and celebrations throughout Canada. Lord Aberdeen was also involved in the Canadian military. He conducted fleet inspections of the Canadian Navy on three different occasions and became Honorary Lieutenant Colonel of the Governor General's Foot Guards in 1898.

While her husband was in office, Lady Aberdeen made lasting contributions to Canadian society. She was the first president of the International Council of Women and encouraged the creation of the May Court Club. Her most significant achievement was establishing the Victorian Order of Nurses in 1897. This organization, dedicated to the care of ill people in their own homes, was at first mistrusted by the medical establishment, but Lady Aberdeen won its acceptance. Today, the VON continues to be a vital part of the Canadian health care system.

Lord Aberdeen's legacy was a reformed role in how the office of Governor General dealt with Canadian society. He and his wife had sought to show interest in the welfare of less privileged Canadians. By meeting Canadians in all regions of Canada and discussing their concerns, Lord Aberdeen transformed the role of Governor General from that of the aristocrat representing the King or Queen in Canada to a symbol representing the interests of all citizens. He had also sought to strengthen communication and trade links with the overseas Dominions, seeing the future benefits of openness between countries.

After his term as Governor General of Canada, Lord Aberdeen returned to the United Kingdom. He served again as Lord Lieutenant of Ireland from 1905 to 1915 in the Liberal administrations of Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman and H. H. Asquith. Apart from his political career he was also President of the Edinburgh Sir Walter Scott Club in 1901 and of the Highland and Agricultural Society from 1901 to 1902 and Lord Rector of the University of St Andrews between 1913 and 1916. On January 4, 1916, he was created Earl of Haddo and Marquess of Aberdeen and Temair.

Lord Aberdeen helped raise Stella Ridley, daughter of Matthew Ridley, 1st Viscount Ridley. She later married Rupert Gwynne, Conservative MP for Eastbourne from 1929 to 1931. Gwynne's brother, Roland Gwynne, was the lover of suspected serial killer John Bodkin Adams.

It was widely believed that Lord Loam in JM Barrie's play THE ADMIRABLE CRICHTON is a satirical depiction of Lord Aberdeen (the Aberdeens organised social clubs for their servants and were rumoured to dine in the servants' hall from time to time). The Aberdeens' jointly-authored memoir WE TWA reprints a letter from Barrie denying this.

Aberdeen Avenue, a street in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, was named after Lord Aberdeen (John Hamilton-Gordon, 1st Marquess of Aberdeen and Temair) and Lady Aberdeen (Ishbel Hamilton-Gordon, Marchioness of Aberdeen and Temair) who both lived in Hamilton on Bay Street South (1890-1898) with their four children. They also presided over the opening of the Hamilton Public Library on September 16, 1890.

In Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Aberdeen Avenue is a historically designated street in Cabbagetown (formerly Carlton Avenue and Lamb Street) named for Lord Aberdeen, Governor General of Canada 1893-1898, and Lady Aberdeen, an aristocrat-democrat with a strong social conscience who made lasting contributions to Canadian society in founding the Victorian Order of Nurses and the National Council of Women.

Aberdeen Street in Kingston, Ontario is named in honour of the couple; it is located near the Queen's University campus.

In her boundless enthusiasm to improve the lot of working women, Lady Aberdeen created the Onward and Upward Association to help develop, socialize, and educate her staff, as well as encourage prostitutes to relinquish the street.

To honour the outstanding public contributions to the women of her time, an offshoot of women from the Aberdeen Avenue Residents' Group (AARG) has resurrected the Onward and Upward model in creating a modern-day salon as a forum for discussion of issues critical to modern day women.

Lady Aberdeen is also credited with introducing the Golden Retriever to Canada. Her father, Sir Dudley Coutts Marjoribanks, 1st Baron Tweedmouth is best known as the originator of the breed. By coincidence, the Golden Retriever is the predominant resident breed of Toronto's Aberdeen Avenue.

To the top

John Campbell, of Strachur

The expanded West Florida territory in 1767.

General John Campbell, of Strachur (1727-1806) was a Scottish soldier and minor nobleman, who commanded the British forces at the Battle of Pensacola (1781), and succeeded Guy Carleton, 1st Baron Dorchester as Commander-in-Chief in North America in 1783.

He inherited the title (17th of Strachur) upon the death of his father Admiral John Campbell (16th of Strachur) and was a direct descendant of a branch of Clan Campbell, (see Campbells of Strachur).

John Campbell (17th of Strachur) was appointed lieutenant in John Campbell, 4th Earl of Loudoun's Highlanders in June 1745.

The young John Campbell showed his military prowess during the Jacobite Rising of 1745 and served in the British Army throughout the rising of 1745-1746 including the Battle of Culloden. He made the campaign in Flanders in 1747, in which year he became a Captain and at the peace of 1748 went on half pay.

In 1756, he was called into active service and joined the 42nd (Royal Highland) Regiment of Foot (also known as the Black Watch Regiment) and served under James Wolfe.

He was wounded at Fort Ticonderoga, New York, during the Battle of Carillon in the French and Indian War and, on his recovery, was appointed Major of the King's 17th Regiment of Foot, later the Royal Leicestershire Regiment, and now the Royal Anglian Regiment. In February 1762, he became a Lieutenant Colonel and commanded the King's 17th Regiment of Foot in the expedition against Martinique and Havana. He became Lieutenant Colonel of the King's 57th Regiment of Foot on May 1, 1773, and returned to North America on the eve of the outbreak of the American Revolution. Campbell was based in Boston under the command of General Gage.

Although not directly involved in the infamous march in April 1775 to Lexington and Concord to capture Samuel Adams and John Hancock, Campbell was part of Lord Percy's (Duke of Northumberland) brigade sent to help reinforce the British troops, whose presence had been made known by Paul Revere, in the American hinterland. After the defeat at Bunker Hill in June 1775 he was sent on the New York expedition with Sir William Howe.

After Sir William Howe's successful Battle of Long Island and capture of New York City, John Campbell was based in New York City until autumn of 1778. While living there he was stationed at Fort Clinton and recorded as attending St. Paul's Chapel.

In October 1778 John Campbell, recently appointed Brigadier General, received a communication from Lord George Germain to proceed from the colony of New York to Pensacola on the frontier of British North America in the Province of West Florida and take command of His Majesty's troops.

The state of affairs that awaited General John Campbell in West Florida were severely deficient. The conditions General John Campbell said upon arrival at Pensacola were the most disagreeable, the most irksome, the most distressing of all situations anyone in the British Army had ever encountered. In January 1779 General John Campbell sent a report back to London stating that he found himself, "without money or credit for Contingent Expenses, without Vessels proper for Navigation or even Batteaux . . . without artificers wherewith to carry on Works . . . without any Provisions or Materials to Work upon, without any Prospect of their being procured . . . but by the labour of the Troops, without Tools for accommodating the few Artificers that could be found among the army, without Engineers Stores, without even adequate Provisions." General John Campbell immediately set out to improve the situation and began to construct a fort on the Mississippi by September 1779.

General John Campbell brought a detachment of Royal Artillery, the 3rd Regiment of Waldeck and two Provincial North American Loyalist Corps (the Pennsylvania and the Maryland Loyalists) from New York to reinforce the garrison at Pensacola. In addition to the 16th and the 60th regiments, Governor Peter Chester of West Florida had organised three independent companies of troops. Additional troops had been raised by Colonel John Stuart, Superintendent of Indian Affairs in the Southern District, who before the arrival of General John Campbell, was acting under instructions from General Sir William Howe. Campbell also requested of General Sir Henry Clinton a company of Negroes which was under Clinton's command, and later urged his commander-in-chief to send English troops to West Florida. With the increasing number of troops came added difficulties: the problems of adequate quarters and sufficient provisions. Meeting these demands gave General John Campbell much concern. Payment of the troops was in arrears since October 1778 and only small paper notes had been issued for money.

On February 19, 1779, General John Campbell was appointed Major General.

On March 22, 1779, General John Campbell was given complete authority over all troops in the Province of West Florida.

The proper defence of the West Florida province was the sine qua non of General John Campbell's mission. No adequate defence of the province could be realised until the neglected harbours of Pensacola and Mobile were strengthened. Pensacola did not have the protection of even one frigate and there was not a single gun mounted to prevent any enemy forces from entering the harbour. The harbour of Mobile was totally unprotected and a scene of ruin and desolation. General John Campbell estimated 50,000 pounds sterling would not restore the fort alone to its original state.

The acuteness of conditions in West Florida prodded Lord Germain to action - supplies and provisions had left England in January 1779 in a convoy for Pensacola via Jamaica. Alexander Cameron had been appointed Superintendent of Indian affairs in the Southwest and was to be under the commander-in-chief, General Clinton. Cameron was to follow General John Campbell's orders. In April 1779 General John Campbell reported to Germain the progress of the numerous activities under his supervision.

On June 21, 1779, Spain declared war on England. On June 25, 1779, a letter from London marked secret and confidential, went to General John Campbell at Pensacola from King George III and Lord George Germain. General John Campbell was instructed that it was the object of greatest importance to organise an attack upon New Orleans. If General John Campbell thought it was possible to reduce the Spanish fort at New Orleans, he was ordered to proceed immediately to make preparations. These preparations included: (1) secure from Vice-Admiral Sir Peter Parker as many armed vessels as could be spared from Jamaica, (2) collect all forces which could be drawn together in the province, (3) take as many faithful Indians as the Superintendent could supply, (4) draw on the Lords Commissioners of the Treasury for all expenses.

As an unfortunate twist of fate for General John Campbell, upon which his whole career was decided, this secret communication fell into the hands of Governor Galvez at New Orleans although ultimately reached General John Campbell afterwards.

After reading the communication from King George III and Germain, Bernardo de Gálvez, Governor of Louisiana swiftly and secretly organised Louisiana and New Orleans for war. The independence of the United States of America was publicly recognised in New Orleans on 19 August 1779.

On September 11, 1779, the Spanish and their Indian allies marched against the English forts on the lower Mississippi. So successful were they that they nearly destroyed the western part of West Florida before General John Campbell at Pensacola had the slightest communication of Galvez having commenced hostilities.

On September 14, 1779 General John Campbell was ready to embark with five vessels and two flatboats and with five hundred men, ample provisions, and a large supply of gifts for the Indians. He was proceeding to the attack of New Orleans when news arrived of Galvez's attack on the Mississippi. Personally, Governor Chester was indifferent in his conduct to General John Campbell for the defence of the Province of West Florida and would not proceed beyond the strict and most limited Construction of the Law to save West Florida. With the loss of the Mississippi area, General Campbell and Lord Germain, quite naturally, centred their attention on the defence of the eastern part of the province. The proper management of the Indians was of greater significance than ever. Efforts were made by General John Campbell to negotiate with the Chickasaws with the Cherokees and Creeks to act jointly on behalf of the English.

The very day in which Campbell informed Clinton of the latest developments in West Florida, the Spanish were approaching Fort Charlotte and Mobile. On March 14, 1780, Fort Charlotte and Mobile capitulated to Spanish forces. In immediate command of the English forces at Fort Charlotte was Captain Elias Durnford. General John Campbell had left Pensacola with reinforcements on March 5, 1780, but heavy rains, swollen streams and muddy roads had retarded his progress. When his scouts reported the display of Spanish colours over the fort, General John Campbell began his homeward trek. The troops returned to Pensacola on March 18, 1780. With the surrender of Mobile, West Florida was reduced to the District of Pensacola alone. Unless Pensacola was relieved by a naval reinforcement from Jamaica, Pensacola would be lost. One single Frigate, lamented Campbell to Germain, would have prevented our disaster at Mobile.

While Governor Galvez was preparing for his advance against the English at Pensacola, the rivalry between Governor Chester and General John Campbell flared up again because the governor sought to restrict General John Campbell's authority over the troops. General John Campbell predicted a Spanish attack in early fall 1780 but it didn't come. Tired of waiting for the Spanish to assume the initiative, General John Campbell, in January 1781, sent Colonel Von Hanx Leden with more than 500 men to seize Mobile. The attack was unsuccessful and failure was attributed to the early death in battle of Colonel Von Hanx Leden.

Early in March 1781 the long awaited Spanish attack on Pensacola was begun. On the afternoon of March 11 Galvez' ships were at the entrance of Penzacola Bay already having taken control of Santa Rosa island. On 21 March 1781, General John Campbell made a humane proposal to Governor Galvez that the town and Garrison of Pensacola shall be preserved. Unfortunately, in the night, before the Spanish Commander replied officially, one of the British officers in charge of a fort burned several houses. Whether or not this act was committed with the knowledge of General John Campbell is not known but it gave Galvez grounds for accusing the British commander of insincerity.

Detachments from Mobile and New Orleans arrived March 28, 1781, and on April 19 reinforcements, naval and army, Spanish and French, from Cuba lead by General Jose Solano y Bote arrived. For his actions general Jose Solano y Bote was later recognized by King Carlos III of Spain by naming him the first Marques del Socorro. Galvez began actual operations against Pensacola.

As commander of the British forces in West Florida, he surrendered Pensacola to the Spaniards in the Battle of Pensacola, May 10, 1781.

During the Battle of Pensacola, which marked the culmination of Spain's reconquest of Florida from Britain during the American Revolutionary War, Major General John Campbell of Strachur inspired his troops to cling to the sturdy defences of Fort George. However, without naval protection nor adequate artillery to engage a counter assault, the Spanish artillery fire breached the ramparts on May 8, 1781, and struck a powder magazine. Commanded by Field Marshal Bernardo de Gálvez, Governor of Louisiana and architect of the successful Spanish campaign, a powerful flotilla of warships neutralised outer British defences and began an amphibious siege of the town on May 9, 1781. John Campbell surrendered Fort George to the Spaniards on May 10, 1781. Under generous terms Field Marshal Galvez allowed the British troops, including General John Campbell to return to New York. With the loss of West Florida, the Americans swiftly put pressure on the remaining British troops in North America at the Siege of Yorktown.

After returning from West Florida General John Campbell remained in British New York City until the British left under the Treaty of Paris on Evacuation Day, November 25, 1783. Campbell lived just off Wall Street on the corner of Trinity Place and Thames Street.

In 1783, he superseded Sir Guy Carleton as Commander-in-Chief, North America. General John Campbell served as Commander in Chief for British North American forces in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Quebec in Canada until 1787.

He returned to Scotland, in 1787, where as Clan Chief of the Campbells of Strachur (see Campbells of Strachur) he established Strachur House.

John Campbell (17th of Strachur) died at Strachur House, Argyll, Scotland, on 28 August 1806.

To the top

Source : Wikipedia