3.3879849812367 (799)
Posted by pompos 03/21/2009 @ 12:19

Tags : regina, regina carrol, actors and actresses, entertainment, regina lasko, david letterman, talk show host, tv, regina halmich, boxers, boxing, sports

News headlines
Regina M. Rohrbough - Fremont News Messenger
FREMONT: Regina M. Rohrbough, 56, of N. State Route 590, Fremont passed away on Thursday, May 14, 2009 at Stein Hospice in Sandusky, OH. She was born May 29, 1952 in Buffalo, NY to John R. and Ruth M. (Gilkerson) Zitter. Regina was a 1970 graduate of...
Extra cleaning ordered after swine flu confirmed in Regina school -
The Regina public school system will be doing some extra cleaning after four cases of swine flu were found at one school. All of the cases of H1N1 influenza at Jack mackenzie School on the east side of the city were mild, the school division said....
Justin Woodworth named Salve Regina's Male Athlete of the Year - Ipswich Chronicle
By Joshua Boyd/ In case it wasn't obvious when Justin Woodworth led the Salve Regina University Seahawks men's basketball team in 3-point percentage, he is officially “for real.” After four years, and 1000-plus more points on top of the...
Crime in Regina in National Spotlight - 650 CKOM News Talk Radio
CTV's W Five is airing a piece on gang violence in North Central Regina. It's the latest national media story to focus on crime problems in the neighbourhood, and some argue stories like this cast Regina in an unfair light compared to cities like...
McCarty, Allen Park Cabrini blank Warren Regina - Detroit Free Press
By Michael Horan • May 15, 2009 Karyn McCarty had the game's only RBI in the first inning and struck out 14 batters for Allen Park Cabrini to hold off Warren Regina, 1-0, in the AB Catholic League semifinal. “A break either way could've won the game,...
Regina Griggs Joins the Liars Club - Tips-Q GLBT News
Regina Griggs, president of Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays and Gays says the hate crimes bill will jeopardize free speech if it becomes law. It is really becoming tedious to debunk these preposterous claims. Suffice it to say, there is nothing in the...
Event at Maria Regina HS raises $32000 for American Cancer Society - Lower Hudson Journal news
By Rob Ryser • • May 15, 2009 HARTSDALE - A 24-hour relay event that kicked off at 8 am today at Maria Regina High School has raised more $32000 for the American Cancer Society. The fundraiser, known as the Relay for Life,...
South Euclid: Regina High School students volunteer - Sun News -
SOUTH EUCLID -- Regina High School students, faculty and staff exemplified the school's motto, "Learn, Serve, Lead," on May 13. The Regina community offered volunteer services to more than 20 agencies throughout the area that serve children,...
Dying Man Found On Regina Street Corner - NewsTalk650
The Regina Police major crimes and forensic units are investigating the death of a man who was found lying in the street Friday night. Regina police say around 11 pm a passerby noticed the man injured at the corner of 12th Avenue and Montreal Street in...
Regina mother recalls searching for daughters in fire - Regina Leader-Post
REGINA -- Tanya Smith recalls her frantic search for her three young children as flames consumed their Regina home. "I went into their room right away, and I saw that the beds were on fire, so I started screaming and yelling and looking through the...

Regina (opera)

Regina is an opera by Marc Blitzstein, to his own libretto based on the play The Little Foxes by Lillian Hellman. Blitzstein chose this source in order to make a strong statement against capitalism. In three acts, the musical style has been described as new American verismo, abounding in the use of spirituals, Victorian parlour music, dance forms, ragtime, aria and large, symphonic score. Borrowing from both opera and Broadway styles, in a manner similar to Leonard Bernstein's in Trouble in Tahiti and Virgil Thompson's in Three Saints in Four Acts, Regina has been said to straddle the line between entertainment and so-called serious music.

Regina premiered on Broadway at the 46th Street Theatre in New York on October 31, 1949 conducted by Maurice Abravanel and directed by Bobby Lewis with choreography by Anna Sokolow. Jane Pickens, formerly of the pop trio the Pickens Sisters, played Regina, and Brenda Lewis was Birdie. The first production received mixed reviews and closed on December 17, 1949.

In 1953, the City Centre Opera produced a different version of the opera with greatly expanded orchestration, giving the work a more "operatic" rather than "Broadway" sound. Bobby Lewis directed again, using the same sets. Brenda Lewis, Birdie in the 1949 cast, now took the lead as Regina. The 1953 production restored the party scene but cut other material. This production was a success, leading the company to revive the work again in 1958, with still more cuts. The 1958 version completely eliminated the onstage Dixieland band that had been an essential part of Blitzstein's plan for the work. The 1958 version, which was Hellman's favorite although furthest from the composer's intentions, was recorded.

Regina was revived in 1977 by the Michigan Opera Theatre in Detroit and in 1980 by the Houston Grand Opera. The first British Performance was produced in Glasgow in 1991 by the Scottish Opera. New York City Opera revisited Regina in 1992 and cut music further from the 1959 version, which had come to be called definitive. The Scottish Opera production was released as a recording in 1992 by John Mauceri and the Scottish Opera Orchestra, with Katherine Ciesinski (replacing the original Regina, Katherine Terrell) and Samuel Ramey. This recording included nearly all the music written for the opera. Both recordings are presently out of print.

Maestro Robert L. Larsen of the Des Moines Metro Opera has championed the opera and produced it in both 1994 and 2008. The Florida Grand Opera produced a new staging of the work in 2001, with Stewart Robertson conducting. Yet another version of the opera was mounted by the Chicago Lyric Opera in 2003, with much music restored but with many scenes involving the black servants deleted, as the well-intentioned portrayals of black characters had come to seem sentimental and patronizing. This last production also added lines of dialogue from Hellman's play to clarify the story. Pacific Opera Victoria in Victoria, British Columbia and Long Leaf Opera in Chapel Hill, NC, produced the opera in 2008.

An out-of-print piano/vocal score of Regina was published by Chappell. Subsequently, scholars working with Blitzstein's collected papers at the State Historical Society of Wisconsin have reinstated music and dialogue excised earlier. Today, a restored Regina can be produced according to Blitstein's intentions, so long overridden in earlier versions.

Regina Giddens schemes with her brothers Ben and Oscar for money and power. When her crippled husband Horace opposes her plans, Regina denies him his heart medication and he dies of a heart attack. Their daughter Alexandra, realizing the true cause of Horace's death, finds the strength to leave her mother. Having double-crossed her brothers as well, Regina is left wealthy but alone.

To the top

University of Regina

Regina College under construction on 16th Avenue (now College Avenue), 1913

The University of Regina is a public research university located in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada. Originally founded in 1911 as a private denominational high school of the Methodist Church of Canada, it began an association with the University of Saskatchewan as a junior college in 1925, was disaffiliated by the Church and fully ceded to the University in 1934; in 1961 it attained degree-granting status as the Regina Campus of the University of Saskatchewan and has been an autonomous university since 1974. It had an enrolment of over 12,500 full and part-time students as of the 2002-03 academic year and was rated sixth in the 2005 Maclean's magazine Canadian National Comprehensive Universities Rankings. The university press, The Carillon, is a member of CUP.

The University of Regina is a non-denominational university, which grew out of Regina College, founded in 1911. In direct response to the award of the University of Saskatchewan to Saskatoon rather than Regina, the Methodist Church of Canada established Regina College in 1911 on College Avenue in Regina, Saskatchewan, starting with an enrolment of 27 students; it was adjacent to the now long-defunct St Chad's College (a theological seminary for the training of Anglican clergy) and Qu'Appelle Diocesan School, also on College Avenue.

In 1934 Regina College became part of the University of Saskatchewan. The University of Saskatchewan a single, public provincial university created in 1907 was modelled on the American state university, with an emphasis on extension work and applied research. The governance was modelled on the University of Toronto Act, 1906 which established a bicameral system of university government consisting of a senate (faculty), responsible for academic policy, and a board of governors (citizens) exercising exclusive control over financial policy and having formal authority in all other matters. The president, appointed by the board, was to provide a link between the 2 bodies and to perform institutional leadership. In the early part of this century, professional education expanded beyond the traditional fields of theology, law and medicine. Graduate training based on the German-inspired American model of specialized course work and the completion of a research thesis was introduced.

Regina College commenced a formal association with the University of Saskatchewan as a junior college offering accredited university courses in 1925 though continuing as a denominational college of the now-United Church of Canada, the successor to the Methodist Church. Regina College continued as a Junior College until 1959, when it received full degree granting status as a second campus of the University of Saskatchewan.

Methodist patrons of Regina College contributed amply to its development: Francis Nicholson Darke, a pioneer of early Regina, financed the building of Darke Hall, the concert venue of the old Regina College Campus, built in 1929. (See Regina's historic buildings and precincts.) However, in 1934, the United Church was financially hard pressed by the Great Depression and in any case its history from the great Egerton Ryerson of urgent advocacy of universal free public education made its involvement in private schools anomalous. It accordingly fully surrendered Regina College to the University of Saskatchewan. Regina College and its successor Regina Campus of the University of Saskatchewan and University of Regina have — possibly unawares — retained the Methodist motto "as one who serves" (Luke 22.27).

The policy of university education initiated in the 1960s responded to population pressure and the belief that higher education was a key to social justice and economic productivity for individuals and for society. In 1961 the College was renamed the University of Saskatchewan, Regina Campus. In 1974 it became the independent University of Regina.

The original United Church affiliation is, however, symbolically commemorated in the convocation furniture, resumed by the university for ceremonial use from one of the last downtown United Churches, which closed in the 1990s.

With the transfer of control to the University of Saskatchewan the range of courses offered was somewhat broadened. During this period Campion and Luther Colleges, which maintained private high schools in Regina under the auspices respectively of the Roman Catholic and Lutheran churches, also retained junior college status in affiliation with the University of Saskatchewan; the Anglican Church, whose St Chad's College had operated a theological training facility in Regina, meanwhile merged with Emmanuel College in Saskatoon and withdrew from tertiary education in Regina.

The upgrading process accelerated in 1961 when the college was granted full-degree granting status as the Regina Campus of the University of Saskatchewan and students completing degrees at Regina Campus were granted degrees of the University of Saskatchewan.

The arts and sciences programs evolved with the growth of Regina Campus, which held its first convocation in 1965. The new campus was begun in 1966 to the southwest of the old campus whose buildings, however, remain in use: the old Girls' Residence is now used by the Regina Conservatory of Music; the Normal School, having at various times housed not only the teacher-training facility that is now the University's Department of Education but the Saskatchewan Museum of Natural History, war-training facilities during World War II when it was temporarily resumed by the federal crown and latterly the University's Fine Arts Department, is now the Canada-Saskatchewan Soundstage. The original design of Regina Campus (as of Wascana Centre itself) and its initial buildings, in a stark concrete modernist style, were by Minoru Yamasaki, the architect of the original World Trade Center in New York.

Yamaski's vision of the new university campus as part of the wider Wascana Centre involved the eventual Saskatchewan Centre of the Arts as an adjacent convocation hall, which informed its placement on the south shore of Wascana Lake, some distance from the city centre, to the serious detriment of the city centre at a time when issues of inner-urban decay did not yet appear likely to affect Regina. It was not immediately apparent that the development of the new campus would quickly stall: after an initial spate of development in the mid-60s and early 70s, building substantially lapsed for some years and the halted building and landscaping for a time were a somewhat bleak and barren outpost on the outskirts of the city. The Dr. John Archer Library, the main library of the university, was opened in 1967, one of the original three buildings of the new campus (the others being the classroom and laboratory buildings), and named after Dr. John Archer in 1999. Further building has been substantially in accord with Yamasaki's vision, notwithstanding some controversy over the years as to the suitability of its austere style for the featureless Regina plain; by 1972 with the demolition of Yamasaki's 1955 Pruitt-Igoe housing project in St. Louis, Missouri — such demolition being considered by some to be the beginning of postmodern architecture — Yamasaki's modernist aesthetic was already somewhat passé in the view of many architects.

As with other rapidly expanding universities in the late 1960s, the Regina Campus of the University of Saskatchewan was able to benefit from a significant outflow of academics from American universities during the Vietnam War era of U.S. history at a time when the supply of Canadian PhDs could not yet keep up with demand; it was labelled by a deputy commissioner of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP, the Canadian federal police force) as one of the three most radical campuses in Canada, along with Burnaby's Simon Fraser University and Sir George Williams University (now part of Concordia University) in Montreal.

Disappointment as to the non-fulfilment of plans by the University of Saskatchewan to situate various faculties at the Regina rather than the Saskatoon campus and a range of other issues of discontent led to the formation of a Faculty Council with the goal of making the campus an autonomous institution; a Royal Commission under the chairmanship of former Chief Justice of Saskatchewan and Supreme Court of Canada Justice Emmett Hall found there to be "two campus groups warring within the bosom of a single university." As a result the University of Regina was established as an independent institution on 1 July 1974 and the first University of Regina degrees were conferred at the spring convocation in 1975 — although its development was slow until the 21st century, when a renewed burst of building and expansion occurred. That being said, numerous of the university's faculties are significantly smaller in the 21st century than they were in the 1970s as priorities have shifted from liberal arts to vocational training.

The original Regina College buildings on College Avenue continue in use; the old Girls' Residence is now the Regina Conservatory of Music; in 1997 the Fine Arts Department moved from the old Normal School building to the new W.A. Riddell Centre and the Normal School was substantially renovated to become the Canada-Saskatchewan Soundstage.

In the summer of 2005 the University of Regina hosted the 2005 Canada Games. Many events took place in the newly completed state-of-the-art Centre for Kinesiology and Health Studies. The administration of the games proceeded from the University of Regina Students Union offices.

The campus has experienced a recent spurt of growth and expansion, having been static for some two decades after the construction of La Residence at the end of the 1970s. The Education Building has been significantly enlarged and the new Riddell Centre, the North and South Residences, the Centre of Kinesiology and the First Nations University of Canada have been built. The building of the North and South Residences also involved a significant redevelopment of the landscaping of the campus around a new oval as an aesthetic and community hub of campus. A lab building extension is under construction which will add 150,000 square feet (14,000 m2) to the university. Future plans include construction on the east side of the Ring Road. The goal is to accommodate an enrolment of 25,000.

In early 2006 the construction of a multipurpose arena on the University of Regina campus was under discussion. The Regina Research Park is located immediately adjacent to the main campus and conducts many of its initiatives in conjunction with university departments. In recent years, local benefactors have substantially endowed the university with scholarships and chairs in various disciplines.

Campion and Luther colleges had been high schools offering junior college courses accredited by the University of Saskatchewan on the same basis as the old Regina College, out of premises located elsewhere in Regina. Campion became a junior college of the University of Saskatchewan like Regina College in 1923, later severed that association in favour of one with St Boniface College in Manitoba, and returned to federated college status with the University of Saskatchewan in 1964. It built its facilities on the new Regina Campus in 1968 and subsequently vacated its original high school premises on 23rd Avenue. Its Regina Campus building was designed in accordance with Minoru Yamasaki's original plan for the campus, with a "podium," contemplated as eventually being joined with the campus-wide ground floor. Thus far this has not occurred and Campion's building remains isolated.

Luther College opened its building on the new Regina Campus in 1971 but continues to operate its high school on Royal Street, on the site of the first Government House of the North-West Territories. By this point the original Yamasaki plan for the campus was being reconsidered and the Luther College complex is isolated to the east of the principal campus buildings, though it is connected by an all-weather corridor via Campion College.

The First Nations University of Canada grew out of the Saskatchewan Indian Federated College, established in 1976, which was an original foundation at the University of Regina. Its new building to the east of Luther College replaced its original facilities to the west of College West and was opened by Prince Edward in 2003 and visited by the Queen in 2005 when she installed a commemorative stone to symbolise the special relationship between Canada's First Nations and the sovereign.

The United Church, having vacated tertiary education in Regina when it ceded Regina College to the University of Saskatchewan, and the Anglican Church, having removed its St Chad's College from Regina to Saskatoon, do not maintain any presence at the University of Regina. The Christian and Missionary Alliance Church formerly maintained the residential Canadian Bible College in Regina and offered some of its courses for accreditation with the University of Regina but was unable to obtain university status in Saskatchewan and vacated to Calgary in 2003.

The University of Regina is the sole co-operative education university in Saskatchewan. Many of the university undergraduate students are enrolled in the co-op program with the highest percentage being in the faculties of science and engineering.

The University of Regina is a member of Canadian Interuniversity Sport and fields men and women's teams in various sports. Its teams bear the name "Cougars" in all sports, except the Regina Rams, which were originally a community junior football team competing in PJFC football without affiliation with the University, and who joined University ranks in 1999 as a member of the Canada West Conference of Canadian Interuniversity Sport. The University sports teams are: the Regina Rams (football); men's basketball; women's basketball; men's volleyball; women's volleyball; men's hockey; women's hockey; women's soccer; track and field; swimming; cross country; wrestling; and cheerleading. In the summer of 2005, the University hosted the Jeux du Canada Games.

The university's student newspaper is The Carillon. It for many years was an organ of radical student dissent and in the 60s and 70s frequently had a very high community profile as its editorial postures occasioned vigorous denunciation by university administration figures and in the conservative general press. As student mores in subsequent generations have become less disputatious the Carillon has evolved into a less political paper which currently is a somewhat conventional newsletter of campus affairs.

The university is home to the School of Journalism, which was one of the first established in western Canada. The School publishes a student periodical, The Crow, and hosts the annual Minifie lecture, in honour of one of Canada's most illustrious journalists, James M. Minifie (1900-1974).

The University of Regina does not have its own campus radio station, although the independent community radio station CJTR-FM actively solicits volunteers among the school's student body.

The University of Regina provides services to Aboriginal people in more remote communities. The University of Regina’s SUNTEP program was developed in partnership with specific Aboriginal communities to meet specific needs within Aboriginal communities. Aboriginal Elders are present on campus at University of Regina to provide social supports. Through the University of Regina’s Kâspohtamatâtân Mentorship Program Aboriginal students act as role models to younger students still in their home communities. The University of Regina has established an Aboriginal Career Centre to assist with the transition to a fulfilling career.

To the top

Regina (genus)

Queen Snake, Regina septemvittata

Regina is a genus of colubrid snakes known as Crayfish Snakes, named after their primary choice of diet. The genus consists of four species which are found predominantly in the south and eastern United States.

To the top

Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Regina

The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Regina is a Roman Catholic archdiocese that includes part of the Province of Saskatchewan and includes the suffragan dioceses of Prince-Albert, and Saskatoon. It is currently led by Archbishop Daniel Joseph Bohan.

As of 2004, the archdiocese contains 168 parishes, 83 active diocesan priests, 15 religious priests, and 120,000 Catholics. It also has 119 Women Religious, 21 Religious Brothers, and 3 permanent deacons. Its cathedral, Holy Rosary in Regina, provides leadership in music and liturgy; there is a second "co-cathedral," Our Lady of Assumption Co-Cathedral, the former cathedral of the now-suppressed Diocese of Gravelbourg, which has been merged with the Archdiocese.

To the top

Saint Regina (martyr)

Saint Regina (Regnia, French: Sainte Reine) (3rd century) was a virgin martyr and saint of the Catholic Church. She was born in Autun, France, to a pagan named Clement. Her mother died at her birth and her father repudiated her. She then went to live with a Christian nurse who baptized her. Regina helped out by tending the sheep. She communed with God in prayer and meditated on the lives of the saints. She was betrothed to the proconsul Olybrius, but refused to renounce her faith to marry him, for which she was tortured and was beheaded at Alesia in the diocese of Autun, called Alise-Sainte-Reine after her.

Her martyrdom is considered to have occurred either during the persecution of Decius, in 251, or under Maximian in 286.

Honored in many ancient Martyrologies, Regina's feast is celebrated on 7 September or in the Archdiocese of Paderborn on 20 June. In the past, a procession was held in her honor in the town of Dijon. However, her relics were transferred to Flavigny Abbey in 827. The history of the translation of Regina was the subject of a 9th century account.

There are many places in France named Sainte-Reine after her.

This article incorporates text from the public domain 1907 edition of The Nuttall Encyclopædia.

To the top

Regina (band)

Regina is a Bosnian rock band founded in 1990 in Sarajevo. Three of the member Aco, Bojan & Denis started a garage band. It was hard for them to find the right lead singer, but after a long while of searching, they found Davor Ebner. And so the band Regina was created. They were famous all over Yugoslavia. Their songs are inspired by the Irish band U2. The composer of the group is Alexander Čović. In 2000, Aco & Davor have been working on their solo carriers, but without big success. Then in 2006, the band reunited with the original members.

On January 12th, 2009, it was confirmed that they will represent Bosnia and Herzegovina in the Eurovision Song Contest 2009, with the song called Bistra voda (Clear Water) .

To the top

Regina Fryxell

Regina Fryxell, born Regina Holmén (November 24, 1899–September, 1993) was a popular and influential American composer of Lutheran hymns and was responsible for the Setting Two of the Service Book and Hymnal of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, on which she worked between 1948 and 1958. It was called the "Continental Setting" because it reflected the Lutheran liturgy from Northern Europe, including Sweden. She was also commissioned to work between 1974 and 1977 on the updated Setting Three of the successor publication, the Lutheran Book of Worship; the commissioning Inter-Lutheran Commission on Worship (ILCW) body however failed to honor the terms of the commission.

Her work was distinguished by her research into Scandivanian and German musical sources (particularly J. S. Bach) for Lutheran hymnody and liturgy, and the success with which she incorporated these sources into a form suitable for the use of modern American congregations.

Mrs. Fryxell was the daughter of a Swedish Lutheran pastor. She obtained two degrees simultaneously in 1922 at Augustana College, in Rock Island, Illinois, in music and English, and studied organ at Juilliard.

Besides her composition work, she was a teacher at Augustana College, where she taught music, French and English. She was the wife of the geologist Fritiof Fryxell (1900-1986) who also taught at Augustana, and the mother of the geologist Roald H. Fryxell. The Fryxells had three sons, two of which died tragically. It has been noted by many musicians that this loss reflected in Regina Fryxell's music which expressed joy, and a voice of the human need.

To the top

Regina (Monterrey Metro)

Regina Station

The Regina Station (aka Estación Regina) is a station on the Line 2 of the Monterrey Metro. It is located in the Alfonso Reyes Avenue and Jose Maria Salas street.

This station is three blocks away of the Monumental Monterrey (Monterrey's main Bullfighting Ring) and across the street from the Coca-Cola bottler, and it's logo represents the architecture of the station's entrance, its accessible for people with disabilities.

This station was inaugurated on October 31st. 2007, it's part of the first stage of the Line 2 expansion (alongside Niños Heroes Station and Universidad), being the only underground station of such expansion project.

To the top

Regina (train)

Mittnabotåget regina.JPG

The Regina is a Swedish model of electric multiple unit passenger train, manufactured by Bombardier Transportation (formerly ADtranz). It is used by the national passenger railway SJ along with numerous regional and private operators, in variants designated X50, X51, X52, X53 and X54, and in two- and three-carriage models. The Regina is wider than other Swedish trains; at 3450 mm, it allows five-across seating, increasing passenger capacity by 25%. The car body is built of stainless steel, with only bolsters and coupler pockets made of mild steel. The length is 54-80 m, and the capacity 165-294 seats. A variant of the Regina is used in China as the CRH1.

Top speeds of various models range from 180 km/h to 200 km/h. As part of the Gröna tåget (‘the green train’) project, a modified Regina set the Swedish rail-speed record of 303 km/h on 2008-09-14; the goal is to reach 250 km/h in regular service.

The existing Regina units are short trains built for local and regional service, but in late 2007 it was announced that SJ were ordering twenty units furnished for inter-city service. These trains will be used on the routes connecting Stockholm with Värmland and Dalarna, allowing the displaced X 2000 units to be used instead to lengthen the busy trains running to Göteborg, Malmö, and Sundsvall. These units will be four-carriage trains with a first-class section and an on-board bistro; they are to be delivered between April and August of 2010, with an option for another 20 units.

To the top

Source : Wikipedia